Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Black paint what one to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black paint what one to choose?

Alright so to not jack speeddemons paint thread...Here's mine.

I've already got a GPB sol and I'm FINALLY looking into getting the body work and paint done on it. That's the only thing that embarrasses me about it.

I'll be keeping it black because I have no desire to strip the engine bay and jam it..With that being said what are some OEM black colors that I should possibly go with? It doesn't have to be a honda color either as long as it's a factory color because from what I've heard oem paints are cheaper...

Also, I'm not a huge fan of GBP it doesn't really have the depth I'd prefer..I'm personally contemplating going with the black paint on the audi S5's..

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Black paint what one to choose?

There are a few other threads about choosing blacks. Basically you have to choose whether you want solid black like the S2000's Berlina Black or a pearl black like Granada or Nighthawk black. If you want a solid black, go look at paint chips to decide how pure you want the black. Hyundai's paint code "EB" is straight high-solids black colorant in the paint... the darkest/purest there is. Berlina black on the other hand has lots of white in it as well as other colors. If you want a pearl black, just choose which color pearl you want in the black. There's a million different choices.

What it comes down to is you'll just have to go to a shop and look at paint chips. There's only so much someone can tell you over the internet... the best way to find the one that you're going to be happy with is to look at all the options in person.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't go with Honda's B92P Nighthawk Black.
That is the most god awful black on the planet. It has blue pearl in it and though it looks nice when fresh painted, it looks like faded dogshit a year down the road.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D7_62
Don't go with Honda's B92P Nighthawk Black.
That is the most god awful black on the planet. It has blue pearl in it and though it looks nice when fresh painted, it looks like faded dogshit a year down the road.
Only if you fail to take care of the paint job or use incredibly shitty materials (or both). Nighthawk black is just as easy to take care of as any other color, you just have to do it properly. Besides, even if it fades and looks like crap you can always polish and wax it.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess that goes with any black. It's very forgiving when it comes to painting, but upkeep is a bitch.