Sanding & Painting my rust spots...Advice? + Will post pics of progress - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Paint and Body
Reload this Page >

Sanding & Painting my rust spots...Advice? + Will post pics of progress

Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Sanding & Painting my rust spots...Advice? + Will post pics of progress

Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sanding & Painting my rust spots...Advice? + Will post pics of progress

Originally Posted by Dioxine View Post
Not bad for sanding it by hand
thanks man....I did cut out some of the metal with metal clippers but the rest is hand sanded....and the por15 just came in the mail! so I plan on sanding all tommorow and if it looks good enough i'm gonna put on the por 15.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sanding & Painting my rust spots...Advice? + Will post pics of progress

day 2 pics up
Old 12-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

day 3 pics up
Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

day 4, 5 & 6 pics

Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not bad
Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

day 7 & 8

sanded it and primed it....going to go to a body shop and get an estimate on how much it would be for them to match up the paint

Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

been real busy the past month with moving and a new job (plus still dont have internet at my place LOL) but finally here are pics of the final product!! (paid $200 for a pro to paint the fender:
original estimate = $1400
my total cost = $320
+ = $1080 in pocket, experience learned, feeling of accomplishment
- = about 14 hours of labor, used puddy while autobody place would have welded on new metal
overall = I would do it again just how I did. That being said i would be hesitant to take on a job any bigger than the one I did.

door

fender

hope you guys liked my thread! and hope this helps any noob like me who wants to save some money on autobody
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i can clearly see rust...
Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope your not referring to the rust remnants left on the fender rubber molding....

On the door there is something that looks like rust in the middle but that's just surface rust that formed on the unpainted part of what I sanded that formed once i took the car to the autobody place to get painted.... I through some por15 on the unpainted parts after

But congrats on trolling
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zjknicks View Post
Hope your not referring to the rust remnants left on the fender rubber molding....

On the door there is something that looks like rust in the middle but that's just surface rust that formed on the unpainted part of what I sanded that formed once i took the car to the autobody place to get painted.... I through some por15 on the unpainted parts after

But congrats on trolling
Trolling? i was reffering to the door....and there is rust regardless if its surface rust or not, so in fact my comment was valid.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very good job man. ill be tackling this very soon. just need to buy my can of POR 15 now
Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks pretty good, just one question

Did you put the rusted rubber strip back on the wheel well?!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the rubber strip? yes...i wiped off the rust...the rust was just residual dust if you will sitting on the rubber...i took these pics right when i got home from the autobody place...wheel well rubber strip doesn't have rust on it and i cleared up the surface rust on the door....i'll repost final final pics when i get a chance