Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Rust on rear quarter panel of 2013 Crosstour

Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Rust on rear quarter panel of 2013 Crosstour

I have a 2013 crosstour, and it basically has some rust that is forming on the rear quarter panel.

I took it to my honda dealership, and they told me that is was due to some chemical being spilled on it. This didn't make sense to me, they had never seen anything like it, and didn't know what chemical is could be but insisted that's what it was.

I then took it to several autobody shops that all told me the same thing; it was rusting from the inside and making the paint bubble.

Honda is offering me a "courtesy card" for some small amount but not close to covering cost.

Here is what it looks like

My question is looking for recommendations. I've been speaking with Honda Customer support, but they have been supporting the dealership findings as that is their protocol

Last edited by Scott Chapman; 09-14-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:48 AM
Shit Posts: 15

Default Re: Rust on rear quarter panel of 2013 Crosstour

You should get it taken care of soon, before it gets worse.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's a bummer - I had similar rust bubbles on an 05 accord sedan at the top of the hood where it meets the grille. This is characteristic of a lot of other similar year accords.My current roommate has an 05 accord with the same rust bubbles I had.

I would check with other crosstour owners and see if they have the same issue, I have a feeling you aren't the only one.

Good luck
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman View Post
I have a 2013 crosstour, and it basically has some rust that is forming on the rear quarter panel.

I took it to my honda dealership, and they told me that is was due to some chemical being spilled on it. This didn't make sense to me, they had never seen anything like it, and didn't know what chemical is could be but insisted that's what it was.

I then took it to several autobody shops that all told me the same thing; it was rusting from the inside and making the paint bubble.

Honda is offering me a "courtesy card" for some small amount but not close to covering cost.

Here is what it looks like

My question is looking for recommendations. I've been speaking with Honda Customer support, but they have been supporting the dealership findings as that is their protocol
I have the exact same thing. Auto body shop told me it's a bad design of the fuel door or the drain tube is leaking or came disconnected. Rusting from inside out. Honda Corp. Told me they have received no other complaints.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:43 PM
Trial User

I also have a 2013 Crosstour with the same rust issue. Im out of warranty although Honda will split the repair with me. I thought it would be sanding and painting but its a complicated $5,000 job. The body repair man said hed just repaired a crosstour with the same problem. Obviously this is not owner caused and I think Honda should pay for all repairs. Am I way out of line? Id like to know if there are other Crosstour owners with the same problem. Thanks for responses and suggestions. Sandra27
Old 05-14-2019, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like the panel is rusting out, and will only get worse. I've posted a thread about panel remove and repair (its slow going because my ride is a project car for fun and I've got kids at home to take my spare time). But in the end depending on how bad it is I think you have two options. If your planning on doing it yourself or having someone fix it for you. Sanding it down and inspecting how bad it is, might be surface rust but it appears to me its worse. Second, the worse part is replacing the rusted metal with new metal. They sell quarter panel replacements for pretty cheap, less then $50 per side. Going to need to be cut out, I would cut as little as possible, and then welded and replaced, Then the body work starts, I wouldn't wait around for this fix IMHO. Only going to get worse slowly over time if not fixed if you know what I mean. You could continue to try to get the dealership to take care of it as there is usually some warranty on the body so you'll have to figure out your options on that. Chemical causing it, I guess that could be a possibility but honestly its been well documented the rear quarters have a tendency to rust over time when given the opportunity to do so. And there are preventative measures as well out there. You might want to inspect the other side as well as I would expect a similar issue too, maybe you can't see it yet but I would bet there might be signs of it too.