Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Rotten Under Wiper Cowl!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotten Under Wiper Cowl!! HELP!!!

After much investigation into a water leak on drivers side of my car, I found under the wiper cowl in the very back right corner, under the hood hings, there is a hole...and rust. Plenty of rust.

I need some help on how i can access this and patch it up. I cut the outer member to get access to it, but cant quite see all of it some is around a corner.

Outside looking in. Thats the hood release cable. Its above that in the rain drain for the wiper housing.

A closer look, just around that corner is a little 4 or so inch long nook that the water aits in and voila rust.

The hole doesnt take up the entire peice, and so it looks to be patchabke if i can get in there.

This is a view from the very inside of it. Alot of seam sealer there mostly what your seeing. Will clean it up a bit better today for a better look.

And again with my phone inside that hole i cut you can see the hole leading into the cabin of the vehicle.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rotten Under Wiper Cowl!! HELP!!!

kind of hard to tell but that looks pretty severe. if you've already cut the frame to get that far you may as well keep cutting until it's all gone, doesnt look like there's much else you can do. have you been able to check the firewall in the interior of the car for rust? i had a bit of rust in a similar spot under the hood hinge on my car and found that it led through to the interior at the base of the windshield.

check the link in my sig for my buildthread where i show how i patched up the similar hole
Old 03-21-2016, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dylspil
kind of hard to tell but that looks pretty severe. if you've already cut the frame to get that far you may as well keep cutting until it's all gone, doesnt look like there's much else you can do. have you been able to check the firewall in the interior of the car for rust? i had a bit of rust in a similar spot under the hood hinge on my car and found that it led through to the interior at the base of the windshield.

check the link in my sig for my buildthread where i show how i patched up the similar hole
Thanks! I appreciate the input. The piece on the outside that I cut is just the wheelhouse member. The underside of it is rotten....its gone actually. Lol. I have ordered a new wheelhouse member from Honda some spot welds and urethane are all that holds it on.

I did get inside the car yesterday and checked out the ruat apot its very tough to see its up behind a binch of wiring etc. And just so were clear the hole itself wasnt that big to begin with i screwed around in there to see how much rust there really was and thats what i ended up with.

Thwre is also a TSB from honda regarding the seam sealer riiighhht in this spot. Clearly this car was not done. Nor the car i saw before this one that had same problem. Pass side of mine is also rotten. No hole but i managed to put a screwdriver through it.

I need to find a way to get access to this spot where the rust is, i can cut and weld a patch but its a tough spot.

[/TABLE]

This is that wheelhouse member. I have seen probably 4 of these cars that look like this.<br/>Not too concerned about this fix. New panel on the way.

The rust apot from the inside way up in the lower corner of the dashboard. Hard to see, it was all i could do to sneak my phone in there for pics.

And another. Again not a great pic.

Thaaaat goves ya a good idea of what im dealing with.

I dont know if i remove the dashboard if i can get in there. Its in behind the dashboard frame. This all seems like it may be getting to be too big of a problem. I have considered laying fiberglass in from the engine compartment side and laying a bunch of resin over it. Let it cure and seam seal the sh*t out of it. This is a $2000 car, not a restoration
Old 03-22-2016, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks quite bad. Replacing those panel would be the only option.

How will fibreglass help in such a case?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not good thats for sure.
Fiberglass will build aome structure there to cover the hole. That and seam sealer will stop the water getting in.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a structural piece. u dont wanna just "fix" it by putting fiberglass. you're better off just junking the car for metal and buying a car with less rust if you dont have the means to do it yourself or have it done for a price thats worth it.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gorillafart
its a structural piece. u dont wanna just "fix" it by putting fiberglass. you're better off just junking the car for metal and buying a car with less rust if you dont have the means to do it yourself or have it done for a price thats worth it.
Exactly.

Fibreglass might just fill up the hole but then you will loose the strength that the metal portion provides.

As suggested either replace it on your own if you can else get some help from an expert