Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep
View Poll Results: Is the rising sun flag offensive?
Yes, it will offend people. Don't Do it!
8.67%
No, but its to similiar to the Imperial Army flag. Don't risk it!
3.47%
No, but why ruin a carbon fiber hood? Don't do it!
27.75%
You work at a military base and want this on your car? ARE YOU CRAZY!!!
12.14%
Not offensive at all! Go for it!!!
47.98%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Rising Sun Offensive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rising Sun Offensive?

Hey guys, I wanted to get some input on this. In about two weeks im going to be painting my 90 CRX. Its got a full wings west kit and carbon fiber hood. I was planning on painting the car white minus the hood. Then I began thinking that it might be cool to put the main red sun of the rising sun flag on the hood and leave the rest of the hood carbon fiber instead of white. I just started looking into this flag WONDERING if it might be offensive. I really dont want to do this if it will offend people. ESPECIALLY since I work on a military base. So I'm asking for opinions. Is this flag offensive or not? Granted its not the same flag that was banned after WWII it looks extremely similar.

EDIT:

After scowering around it seems that this flag is only viewed as controversial by South Koreans and Chinese.

Last edited by grkblood13; 12-31-2008 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Rising Sun Offensive?

Can't say as I'm not Japanese and was around for WWII, but I'm guessing you'll get tons of **** for it on base.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grkblood13
Hey guys, I wanted to get some input on this. In about two weeks im going to be painting my 90 CRX. Its got a full wings west kit and carbon fiber hood. I was planning on painting the car white minus the hood. Then I began thinking that it might be cool to put the main red sun of the rising sun flag on the hood and leave the rest of the hood carbon fiber instead of white. I just started looking into this flag WONDERING if it might be offensive. I really dont want to do this if it will offend people. ESPECIALLY since I work on a military base. So I'm asking for opinions. Is this flag offensive or not? Granted its not the same flag that was banned after WWII it looks extremely similar.
if your not Japanese don't do it, not hating.but you don't see people with chevy or ford driving around with american flag on it.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by allmotorek4
if your not Japanese don't do it, not hating.but you don't see people with chevy or ford driving around with american flag on it.
Things are a lot different down here in the south than they are in Cali. lol.

BTW: Its a military flag, not the country flag. People rock these stickers and paint them on their valve covers all the time. It's not about "reppin Japanese emperialism" or whatever your views are about it. It's more about saying, yea my cars an import and it'll kick your car's ***. Thus the reason reasoning behind the military flag and not the country's flag. At least that's my two cents on what I feel about it. But, I know people probably feel different and that's why I made this thread so please keep the comments coming.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but you don't see people with chevy or ford driving around with american flag on it.
What country do you live in? Obviously a pre 9/11 America, I see American flags on cars all day...
Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A better analogy would be driving a domestic and painting the modern Confederate flag on it (that flag is actually a combination of the Confederate naval flag and battle flag and wasn't seen in the Civil War). Sure, it isn't the actual Confederate national flag and in parts of the south it is seen as mark of heritage and history but in other places it has a connotation of racism and slavery. Aesthetics aside, you will get a lot of **** for having a rising sun on your car especially on a military base where most people lean towards conservatism. Going beyond the issue of national pride, the Japanese did some pretty horrific things to the Chinese and Koreans, on par with what the Germans did to the Jews and the Roma. Take a moment to read about Unit 731 here. Ask yourself if you really want something on your car that is so similar to the war flag of the Imperial Japanese Army.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

granted the base i work on is actually a weapons station mainly made up of civilians I'm beginning to think this is a bad idea. I guess I didnt realize how off putting this might be considering I see several people on this forum using the flag in some form on their cars. While most honda enthusiasts prolly just see it as Honda pride I definately don't want to offend somebody because of a misunderstanding. You also mentioned the confederate flag which is a good point. Tons of people have confederate flag stickers around here and nobody thinks anything of it. I guess its all about where you live. Ironic how the rising sun flag could draw more critisism than the confederate flag. Like I said though, I guess it's all about where u live.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say f*ck it, do it. I see these damn stickers everywhere, don't worry about offending people. If people didn't get offended thered be no such thing as stand up comedy. Given the military base situation, I'd ask around on base. But I'd say go for it, its YOUR car. Freedom of speech is a beeyotch. And as far as cars with confederate flags, I live in VA and they are EVERYWHERE! Just my 2cents, but put up pics of what you end up goin with
Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do it, if that is what you wanna do then do it, who cares if your not japanese, im german but i dont get offended when little douche bags with VW's hang german flags from there cars at shows. who cares paint it SON!!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 AM

WWII happen before all of us was born so......WHO GIVES A **** REALLY??
Old 01-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

You're in the US military and want to put a Japanese military flag on your car... What does that have to do with your car being a Japanese import?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
You're in the US military and want to put a Japanese military flag on your car... What does that have to do with your car being a Japanese import?
No, Im not in the US military, nor is anybody I work with. I posted previously that where I work is actually a weapons station that is mostly civilians. i.e. civil service and contractors. There are some military guys that work there though. Ive pretty much already decided that I'm not going to do this though. During the next few weeks while I'm wating on my door caps I plan on visiting the junk yard and seeing if i can pick up an extra hood. If i can find one ill do it to that and swap the hoods occasionally. I think this post has opened up some eyes though about the flag. Heck, over half the people say no. That leads me to believe that even osme of the people that voted yes prolly think it could be offensive but just said yes to be able to see the end product. I know before I even started looking into this subject I didnt think anything of the flag. Plain and simple I was ignorant.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM

It'll look **** anyway, why would you paint a flag on your bonnet?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EDIT:

After scowering around it seems that this flag is only viewed as controversial by South Koreans and Chinese.
Are you IN the military or do you only work at the BX/Commissary? I'm in the military, and I'm telling you it's bad taste.

What I'm about to say will sound irrelevant until you do the math. You wouldn't put a **** flag on your BMW would you? Realize the Japanese killed and abused just as many, if not more civilians in China and Korea than the ****'s killed in Europe.

Sometimes I see people do strange things with their cars. In Vladivostok, Russia I came across a guy who had painted a Confederate Flag on the entire hood of his R34 Skyline. I was bewildered. He said he painted it on there because he was "rebellious." He had no idea about the history behind the flag or anything.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, Im not in the US military, nor is anybody I work with. I posted previously that where I work is actually a weapons station that is mostly civilians. i.e. civil service and contractors. There are some military guys that work there though.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MoreBoost!
WWII happen before all of us was born so......WHO GIVES A **** REALLY??
[sarcasm]Yeah, stuff that "supposedly" happened before we were born doesn't mean ****. [/sarcasm]
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if they can make this shoe then you can do it!
http://www.eukicks.com/wp-content/up...sing-sun-1.jpg
Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DynastyRacer22
if they can make this shoe then you can do it!
http://www.eukicks.com/wp-content/up...sing-sun-1.jpg
Hah. I'm wearing the low top version of those shoes at work right now. Have owned them for nearly a year too.

Though, I am a Japanese American who has grandparents that were "relocated" to the WW2 internment camp at Tule Lake once upon a time...

They were mostly purchased to offend a specific Korean coworker, who does know how to take a joke (thankfully).

A symbol only has as much meaning as you allow it to have. Some meanings get lost with time. If we all worried about every single potential offense we could commit, we could never express anything. Political correctness is the death of expression.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say if it looks cool for you do it... anyone that does take it offensively tell them to go f*ck themselves... and for the most part, everyone else is just gonna think its so jdm lol cuz more then half the people arent gonna know if theres any type of offense to be taking to it (if there even was one)
Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** reminds me of all those poser *** kids who rock Bob Marley and/or Che Guerrilla shirts, and who stand for nothing and only do it because it's fashionable. **** is weak. "If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn’t have to ask..." ...this forum's opinion.

IMO, it's not classy at all. Then again, you're putting a body kit on a CRX, so what do you know?!?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShinHed
**** reminds me of all those poser *** kids who rock Bob Marley and/or Che Guerrilla shirts, and who stand for nothing and only do it because it's fashionable. **** is weak. "If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn’t have to ask..." ...this forum's opinion.

IMO, it's not classy at all. Then again, you're putting a body kit on a CRX, so what do you know?!?
according to you apparently nothing.

but then again what does your opinion mean to me...apparently nothing.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If u r white the Asians will joke you, some of the young white people will give u props and anybody over 40 will think you are very ignorant for representing a military that tortured American POW's in WWII. If u r Asian then young people will give u props and people over 40 will curse your grandparents.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Things are a lot different down here in the south than they are in Cali. lol.

BTW: Its a military flag, not the country flag. People rock these stickers and paint them on their valve covers all the time. It's not about "reppin Japanese emperialism" or whatever your views are about it. It's more about saying, yea my cars an import and it'll kick your car's ***. Thus the reason reasoning behind the military flag and not the country's flag. At least that's my two cents on what I feel about it. But, I know people probably feel different and that's why I made this thread so please keep the comments coming.
how about a bigger H logo on your hood?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by typerlegend
What country do you live in? Obviously a pre 9/11 America, I see American flags on cars all day...
now show me a painted one on a car
Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM

My belt buckle is the rising sun... lol. I smirk at what kind of BS people think who get offended.

Oh, Im white.

Quick Reply: Rising Sun Offensive?