Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Tractor paint on car??

Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tractor paint on car??

have you guys ever heard of/seen someone using this to paint their car. my dad painted a box truck with it a few months ago its made by valspar its called tractor and implement paint its like 75 dollars a gallon. its suppose to be more resistant to scratches etc. i'm thinking about painting my EF sedan with it. what do you guys think??
Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tractor paint on car??

Don't do it. Some of that implement paint is oil-based (like rustoleum). For 75 dollars you could get a cheap single-stage urethane that will hold up much better. Check out smartshoppersinc.com. Or get a real, activated acrylic enamel from them for the same price. Even THAT would last longer.

If you're wondering what the difference is- longevity and gloss. Implement paint isn't really as shiny nor as deep as car paint. ALSO it will fade quickly and look terrible.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man. i was wondering because my dad bought 3 gallons of the white so it would be free. and the box van he painted seems to be holding up nicely.... the car has a 12 dollar flat black paint job with hella overspray, faded, different shades on and on . note that this will be temporary as i am eventually going midori green.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If done properly it's actually not that bad to use. A lot of hot rod guys actually use John Deere's Blitz Black to paint their rides and I've seen a few JDBB paint jobs that have held up for several years. I can't comment on the particular paint your dad bought, obviously, but it can be done. That said, I'd just save up and have a quality job done.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the second opinions guys i prolly wont do the tractor paint. oh and my dad owns a body shop so he can do the quality job when the time and funds come

I am going the try the krylon almond or ivory and do one piece at a time, wet sand, polish etc.