Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Paint and Body (https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/)
-   -   Painting Suspension Components, Is it worth it? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/painting-suspension-components-worth-3073202/)

SpikedInterest 07-18-2012 06:48 AM

Painting Suspension Components, Is it worth it?

The title pretty much sums it up. Is it worth the time and money to repaint or paint the OEM LCA front and rear, front forks and so on? Mine are a little on the rusty side and I was thinking about repainting them, but I don't want to bother painting them if it will just chip off within a month of driving. So are you Pro; Painting the Suspension or Against it? If you are against it why? and if you did do it, would you do it again? Any input is good input for me.

einstein57 07-18-2012 12:11 PM

Re: Painting Suspension Components, Is it worth it?

I powder coat all my parts. I have the eastwood hotcoat gun, harbor freight sand blasting cabinet, and a $50 electric oven i bought on craigslist. I'm about $400 in to in including media. But i have done 4 sets of wheels center for 2 and 3 piece wheels that have paid for everything.

k-series 07-19-2012 03:31 AM

POR15 your parts that aren't in the sun. It'll protect them, it's goes on pretty thick and they have a few finishes to choose from.

Steve

DavidWhite610 07-25-2012 06:10 PM

Yeah, powder coating is the way to go and you can buy the equipment cheap and do a few jobs to pay for the stuff. Harbor Freight has the guns and used electric ovens are a dime a dozen.

k-series 07-26-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by DavidWhite610 (Post 47656805)
Yeah, powder coating is the way to go and you can buy the equipment cheap and do a few jobs to pay for the stuff. Harbor Freight has the guns and used electric ovens are a dime a dozen.

No, don't this at all. To do it right you need the gun, air compressor, media blaster, oven, cleaner, plugs, high temp tape, metal hangers and it can't be cooked in your house.

Just paint them yourself or have them coated.

Steve

SpikedInterest 08-03-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by k-series (Post 47658081)
No, don't this at all. To do it right you need the gun, air compressor, media blaster, oven, cleaner, plugs, high temp tape, metal hangers and it can't be cooked in your house.

Just paint them yourself or have them coated.

Steve

I have majority of that stuff, but I don't trust myself to do it. How much does a proper coating cost? Do you think regular wheel paint will hold up?

k-series 08-03-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by RaceVtechTurbo (Post 47691675)
I have majority of that stuff, but I don't trust myself to do it. How much does a proper coating cost? Do you think regular wheel paint will hold up?

Use POR15, it's SUPER durable and will hold up well. If you want to have them coated in a semi-black or gloss black, should be fairly cheap if you take the parts to a commercial coater. Custom coaters will do a better job with the details and cost more (of course).

Steve

SpikedInterest 08-07-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by k-series (Post 47691893)
Use POR15, it's SUPER durable and will hold up well. If you want to have them coated in a semi-black or gloss black, should be fairly cheap if you take the parts to a commercial coater. Custom coaters will do a better job with the details and cost more (of course).

Steve

Alright. Where can I pick up some POR15? Would typical auto parts stores have them? like Pep Boys or Autozone?

Builda'Teg_92 08-07-2012 03:46 PM

Nope, check you local paint store. My paint store dosent even carry it so it varies, call around.

SpikedInterest 08-07-2012 03:50 PM

Alright thanks for the info. I checked the POR15 Dealer List and it's all in Ottawa, 5 hours away. I'd have to order it. No big deal. Has anyone ever coated an engine bay with truck bed liner?

.dave 08-07-2012 03:53 PM

Driving how much in a month? I repainted the subframe and all the front suspension cars on my Civic, but it probably gets driven about 5 miles per month on average. :P

I'm pretty sure I used paint and clear coat meant for finishing wheels. The Autozone by me had a heavy duty satin clear coat. I'd look into some of the spray cans meant to go over rust that are available as well.

SpikedInterest 08-07-2012 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by .dave (Post 47704840)
Driving how much in a month? I repainted the subframe and all the front suspension cars on my Civic, but it probably gets driven about 5 miles per month on average. :P

I'm pretty sure I used paint and clear coat meant for finishing wheels. The Autozone by me had a heavy duty satin clear coat. I'd look into some of the spray cans meant to go over rust that are available as well.

Honestly, I have a daily so this is just a sundayfunday car, but I want it to be bulletproof, so to speak. I want to do it all properly. I don't mind spending the extra money, but I'm not one to "show off". I want reliablilty and durability. This POR15 stuff sounds great, and it seems like its what I need. I don't want simple 'rustoleum' paint. I want the thick heavy stuff. I'm not planning on painting the full subframe. A-Arms, LCA, Forks, and my suspension coils, I also might respray my sway bar.

I to have matte/flat black paint for wheels; duplicolour flat black wheel paint. It seems like (in theory) it should do that job because of the factors of wheels being exposed to; Snow, Rain, Salt, Rust, Dirt, and mud that it would be tough enough. But now this POR15 stuff has got my attention.

Anyone ever try using truck-bed-liner for the engine bay? Freeze resistent, Fire Resistent, Rust resistent, water resistent, and it can take a hell of a beating. But I rather have the POR15 for the suspension, and bedliner for the bay. Anyone?

.dave 08-07-2012 04:10 PM

Bedliner bay. I personally wouldn't do it. I resprayed mine the same color as the outside and then cleared it.

Next time I'm back in NY, I'll get a picture of what all my suspension stuff looks like currently. Here's what they looked like before they went back in:
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_9207.jpg

SpikedInterest 08-07-2012 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by .dave (Post 47704909)
Bedliner bay. I personally wouldn't do it. I resprayed mine the same color as the outside and then cleared it.

Next time I'm back in NY, I'll get a picture of what all my suspension stuff looks like currently. Here's what they looked like before they went back in:
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_9207.jpg

Thanks for the link. My whole car is getting resprayed. I just thought I would try something new and different, but I am unsure, still 50/50 I think it looks pretty good. The suspension looks great though! I want mine to look like that when all said and done.

Does anyone have any pictures of the POR15 on suspension parts?

.dave 08-07-2012 07:20 PM

Thanks. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with POR15. Maybe I'll do it when the car isn't 7 hours away and I have some free time. :P

I knew I'd seen the POR done before. Rear suspension parts (trailing arm/LCA) here.

Builda'Teg_92 08-07-2012 08:16 PM

POR15...your minds in the right spot, now just order it.

SpikedInterest 08-08-2012 06:23 PM

It looks great! I'll post pictures when I've ordered it and painted everthing I can. Thanks again!