Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

My spray can failed mid-paint job! :( What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My spray can failed mid-paint job! :( What to do?

I bought a kit of cans from AutomotiveTouchUp to fix a few spots on my '06 Accord. The primer and sealer worked fine and never gave me any trouble. But the paint can worked fine for the first coat, and then degraded and became unusable within seconds. Almost nothing was coming out of the nozzle and instead, paint was pooling up around the cap with drops flying on all the wrong directions, making a total mess. I tried every known nozzle cleaning method, soaking the cup in hot water, in paint thinner overnight, careful prodding with a pin... same exact behavior. I even tried a different, matching cap (from the primer can), and the very same thing happened within seconds.

1. Is it just a defective can and I need to get a replacement? Apparently the internet has never heard of defective spray cans, only clogged caps, I'd be the first on the planet.

2. From what I'm reading about AutomotiveTouchUp, I might be stuck for over a week. They're in New Orleans, mail-order only, and say they "custom formulate each order". Dupli-color don't make my color (Graphite pearl NH658P). Thankfully the only part that's mid-job is part of my bumper cover. I need the car...
I was thinking I'll just drive it around with the unfinished section, let a week of California sun do whatever it will do to the paint... and when the replacement arrives, clean, sand it at 1000 grit, paint 2 more coats and finish the job.

Any better ideas? I planned to take it for detailing and now that has to be shelved too...
If I just wait for a new can it will take 4-7 days, since is mail-order only. What will you do in the meantime to protect the unfinished surfaces from UV or dirt (if anything), and what would you do to clean the surfaces when ready to re-finish the job?

Old 08-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My spray can failed mid-paint job! :( What to do?

I'm also looking into just getting a can from ExpressPaint, PaintScratch or Harpy. Is it problematic to mix up primers, topcoat and sealer between those companies? (With exceptions e.g. Harpy doesn't need sealer.)