Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Are my headlight lenses repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my headlight lenses repairable?

I recently buffed my cloudy headlights, and they look a hell of a lot better.
Before

After

But one thing I notice when the headlights are on, is how it looks like there are a ton of micro cracks in the lense. Now I'm not sure if this can be wetsanded out, but to me it looks deeper than that.

I first noticed it about 4 years ago when I first bought them and had them wetsanded and buffed. But now after clearing then up again, it stands out more and I want to get it fixed if possible. Could've the previous time buffing them caused this somehow? I didn't buff them myself the first time, but I know the person who did used an angle grinder (it's what they always used for buffing), so maybe the heat or something else caused this? I don't know if it matters, but they are jdm headlights, I have read that the lenses are made out of a different material than udsm headlights.

If anyone has some tips on if and how to fix this, please let me know! Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Are my headlight lenses repairable?

They do look very deep, I have cleared many headlights and its tough to say just by looking if this is completely removable.

I would recommend using a powered sander with tough grit to start, maybe 220. Sand and periodically stop and check how deep you've sanded and how visible the scratches are. Then work your way up to 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and finish with 2000 and 3000 grit, and rebuff. I think you can at least get most of it off. It will take some time and patience. Up to you whether its worth it or not! I like my headlights looking brand new always!

Good luck buddy
Old 08-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! I'll try that out eventually. I've always thought that the condition of the headlights and how they look have one of the biggest impacts on how clean the front end and car in general looks.
​​​​​​
My prelude stays parked most of the year and in bad weather, so I only drive it a few thousand miles a year at most in the summer. The headlights and carbon fiber hood have really faded a lot since last year, and with an all weekend car meet coming up this weekend I've been cleaning it up since I put off the headlines and hood for too long.

Eventually I want to find another pair of jdm black housing 1 piece headlights and do an hid retrofit on which ever pair looks best. But until then hopefully I can get rid of the flaws in these headlights. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Trial User

Your Welcome, Yea I completely agree, they make a huge impact. Also I've found that using mothers chrome polish on the lens before the rubbing compound/polish leaves a cleaner finish and last longer before starting to fade again.

That would be cool either way, Best of luck!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stress cracks will stay, the pitting might be better off filling with clear coat.