Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

HOW MILANO RED (R81) SHOULD BE PAINTED ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW MILANO RED (R81) SHOULD BE PAINTED ???

HEY GUYS I KNOW THE CODE FOR MILANO RED IS R81, BUT MY FRIED JUST PAINTED HIS INTEGRA MILANO RED BUT IT CAM OUT KIND OF PINKISH!!! AND THEY TOLD US, THAT MILANO RED IS A TRISTAGE PAINT JOB , HOW DOES THAT WORK ?? I KNOW IS SOMETHING ABOUT FIRST BASE COAT , THEN THE R81 MILANO RED AND THEN THE CLEAR COAT, SOMETHING LIKE THAT. BUT WAT SHOUL BE THAT FIRST COAT /?? PLANING TO PAINT MINES TOO BUT IM NOT SURE HOW ITS DONE ???
Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Re: HOW MILANO RED (R81) SHOULD BE PAINTED ??? (cubanboy)

it all depends on the way you paint it.

first of all if your mixing the paint yourself than make sure you get all the measurements of color right.

than it all depends on how many coats you put on, the distance the gun is from the car, the angle of the gun, etc.....there are a lot of reasons why the color can be different.

good luck with it. my opinion....take it to a professional.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM

wow...sorry i jsut realized i didnt answer your question that well. a tri-coat is 1. basecoat 2. tint clear, pearl, whatever the paint code calls for and 3. clear coat

hope that helps
Old 06-23-2008, 01:55 PM
New User

Default Re: HOW MILANO RED (tattoo'd)

Plus the color of your primer/basecoat will effect the final shade the color turns out to be when it is dry and cleared. A lighter/brighter base will make the final color pop a little more where as a darker base will do just that make the car a little darker. My Sol is milano red and I have seen some later model accords with milano red that aren't as dark as mine. I don't know that much about paint though so unfortunately this is about as much as I can help.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First its not a tri stage paint. Its just base and clear. but this color is a little tricky because any body work has the chance of showing through if you don't put enough paint on. what i do with every car i paint is base it black first then put the color its going to be on next. The reason i do that is so that all the paint has the same color under it. it really helps all the panels match. good luck hope this helped
Old 06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ I agree, you can also lay down a coat of sealer to protect everything underneath, and get it all one color.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Eyger)

the high end paints for milano red is tri stage. but i know the cheaper brands like OMNI is 2 stage. i know because the shop i got my paint at offered me ppg tri stage or OMNI 2 stage.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so it the base coat is black the when the lay down the tint or whatever it will be darker ???
Old 06-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cubanboy)

markk449 is right to an extent.. you want an even base underneath your actual basecoat color to maintain consistancy. what i don't recommend though is using black. i would go with a medium grey sealer. of course it's completely dependant on what brand you're using, but with Dupont for example, if you sprayed black under milano red, you'd end up with maroon .

Dupont and a few other name brands heavily rely on their sealer to give the basecoat the proper color. Dupont uses their ValuShade system. numbers 1-7 are different white/black values... 1 is near straight white, and 7 is a dark grey. you MUST spray the proper sealer underneath the base or you'll never match the color.

also, some of you guys are definitely right, Milano red is a very strange coor to mix. Sherwin has 4 different formulas, +/- 5 variants for each formula, etc. etc. one formula is a tri coat. Dupont has 2 options for tri coat milano red.

OP... check with the place you bought your paint from, you may have forgotten a step or been given the wrong info about what sealer/base color to use.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx for the info
Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess if your trying to panel paint then using black is bad. But the main reason we use black at my shop is that if you have primer that was sanded through to the bondo it can suck the color out of the paint. thats why we use black
Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (markk449)

Umm black? Ok well i would go with a sealer for even coverage. I just painted a coupe new formula red and the valueshade was 1 which is white, so i would assume milano would be close to that 1-3 probably, without looking it up. Then do your base, then your translucent, then clear. But i would highly recommend spraying a test panel before hand to get the color as close as possible. Goodluck

Hey DC22 GSR it seems as though we have the same methods of doing things. Did you got to school in PA for autobody?

Modified by vtecrich at 3:47 PM 6/25/2008
Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Genetically Gay

Default Re: (cubanboy)

pinkist?probably not enough coats.gotta get it about 4-5 coats wait between dry time.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecrich)

See you guys do it the collision way, i use to work collision and it works. Now I build custom hot rods and the way I do it now seems to work a-lot better then any other way i was taught. I was always told do what works best for you......
Old 06-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecrich)

vtecrich.. nope, no autobody school for me. lol. i walked into a local body shop about three and a half years ago and asked for a job sweeping floors or mowing grass or anything and i figured out i had an interest in paint work. the owner had me spraying within 2 months . i stayed with that company and learned their methods for 2 1/2 years and left for another shop after some problems with the owner. i realized that not a single other collision shop does a completely thorough job like the shop i started at and i can't deal with that. i take pride in my work and the 2nd shop i went to wanted their **** in and out without so much as a second look. i can't/won't do half-assed work. sooo... this is the first time i haven't been at a shop in a few years. i hope to get into refinishing, rather than collision. **** fender jobs.

Modified by DC2.2_GSR at 8:15 PM 6/26/2008
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

R81-

I used a red sealer, so I wouldn't have to use too much paint to cover the whole vehicle.

I used Sikkens Red Sealer

Luckily from Sikkens, I didn't have to mix any colors or tints, so basically it the same as basecoat clearcoat. It took me a good 3 coats of paint to cover the whole car, 1 tack coat, and 2 medium-heavy coats. No runs what so ever.

I also put two good coats of clear.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW MILANO RED (DB2NineDuece)

Milano is a sloppy tri stage from the factory. Since its a solid, there is no need to do it as a 3 stage. You can paint match fine using 2 stage formulas. Typically some reds may not cover well, using a red tinted sealer, or red tint ground coat is ideal. IMO a black ground coat is not the way to go.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by DB2NineDuece
R81-

I used a red sealer, so I wouldn't have to use too much paint to cover the whole vehicle.

I used Sikkens Red Sealer

Luckily from Sikkens, I didn't have to mix any colors or tints, so basically it the same as basecoat clearcoat. It took me a good 3 coats of paint to cover the whole car, 1 tack coat, and 2 medium-heavy coats. No runs what so ever.

I also put two good coats of clear.

Hello. Could u pls share the result of using red sealer? Ur car photo?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW MILANO RED (R81) SHOULD BE PAINTED ???

Yep. Also interested as I'm getting ready to paint mine. I'm assuming recommended brand is DuPont?
Old 12-16-2023, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 15 year old post. Lol

[QUOTE=tattoo'd;34379312]it all depends on the way you paint it.

Man will everyone have a litter of kittens on Honda-Tech posting on a 15 year old post. Anyhow let's get those who need the information up to date. #1 Don't attempt to mix your own paint. If your painting Milano Red R81-3 then just order a full kit of Milano Red R81-3. I ordered 2 gallons of base coat Enamel R81-3, 2 gallons of two part Urethane clear coat with hardener and one gallon of medium reducer. $800 total for the kit. Yes when the Red was laid down it did have a pink look to it however when the clear coat was applied it went into a deep rich Red. Go to my Instagram to see the final results. @hiscottjim