Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Paint and Body (https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/)
-   -   HOW TO MAKE CARBON FIBER HOOD SHINE (https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/how-make-carbon-fiber-hood-shine-2350856/)

Eklsv-t 07-24-2008 02:18 PM

HOW TO MAKE CARBON FIBER HOOD SHINE

i wanna restore my cf hood, its pretty clean just want to remove scratches and make it shine liken ew

tattoo'd 07-24-2008 02:21 PM

Re: HOW TO MAKE CARBON FIBER HOOD SHINE (Eklsv-t)

wet sand and buff.

IMPATIENT 07-25-2008 03:42 AM

Re: HOW TO MAKE CARBON FIBER HOOD SHINE (tattoo'd)

screw it, reclear it. 99 percent of carbon fiber manufacturers dont use actual clearcoat, they just use the clear resin to make the hood and ship it out, have you ever noticed a carbon fiber hood fading out after like 3 months. Thats cause that resin has zero uv protection and most of the time nobody waxes there carbon fiber hood. I would personally reclear the hood, ive bought brand new carbon fiber hoods and sanded it down and recleared it the next day. Ive done this many times for customers as well. The clear i use is expensive and has uv protection in it from Dupont and will last a very long time with no fading, yellowing or cracking. So if you want the shine to last, either do it yourself of take it to a paint shop and have them reclear the hood.

tattoo'd 07-25-2008 07:37 AM

Re: HOW TO MAKE CARBON FIBER HOOD SHINE (IMPATIENT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IMPATIENT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">screw it, reclear it. 99 percent of carbon fiber manufacturers dont use actual clearcoat, they just use the clear resin to make the hood and ship it out, have you ever noticed a carbon fiber hood fading out after like 3 months. Thats cause that resin has zero uv protection and most of the time nobody waxes there carbon fiber hood. I would personally reclear the hood, ive bought brand new carbon fiber hoods and sanded it down and recleared it the next day. Ive done this many times for customers as well. The clear i use is expensive and has uv protection in it from Dupont and will last a very long time with no fading, yellowing or cracking. So if you want the shine to last, either do it yourself of take it to a paint shop and have them reclear the hood.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didnt know that about the resin in cf hoods. good to know. thanks.

IMPATIENT 07-25-2008 08:13 AM

Re: HOW TO MAKE CARBON FIBER HOOD SHINE (tattoo'd)

no problem. alot of people dont know that and then a few months later there hood is cracking and starting to peel and fade.. if you have a c/f hood, or c/f anything for that matter and cant afford to get it recleared with good clearcoat, wax it regularly. Cheap clearcoats dont have the combined u.v chemicals in the clearcoat, but will be better than just straight up clear resin that you get from the factory. its definitely optimal to have it done with a good clear that contain su/v protective coatings.

Eklsv-t 07-27-2008 09:17 PM

it look like clear coat fade a little, can i use 2000 grit wetsand and put rubbing compound afterwards?

IMPATIENT 07-28-2008 02:29 AM

you can try it but itll probably come right back. If its not actual clearcoat than its not going to buff up as easily either.if your sanding it you need a high speed buffer with some good buffing pads and some good compounds and polishes to get it right. The thing with most coatings on c/f hood is that they are resin, not clear coat. And once you sand it and buff it there is a possibility that it wont even buff up shiny again. If you have the right stuff it probably will but is going to do the same thing within a short period of time. You can try it, but its only gonna last for a minute compared with getting it totally recleared.