Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Windshield install bracket question

Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield install bracket question

I posted this in the civic forum and only got one reply which didnt really help, so I am hoping someone here has experience installing windshields (my car is a 97 civic DX):

Is the bottom glass bracket for the windshield necessary? It is part #4 I am refering to:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ONT+WINDSHIELD

I am asking because after I had my windshield replaced I noticed the installers broke the bracket and the clip is not holding or resting on to the windshield, wondering if I need to replace.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Windshield install bracket question

you might replace a new one.the bracket from the bottom is a very important part for the windshield. comparing to the top side.
is it original one or after market?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by entoy
you might replace a new one.the bracket from the bottom is a very important part for the windshield. comparing to the top side.
is it original one or after market?
its original, but the clip contacting the windshield broke off, doesnt seem to affect the placement of the windshield though as the sealant seems to be holding it in place. that is why I was wondering about the function of the bracket.

Refering to the service manual the only function I can see is that they say to center the windshield on the frame while its resting on the bracket, make alignment marks and then apply primer and sealant.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

original?how many months from now after installing your windshield?
if goes to a 6 to 8months or a yr.you should change a new bracket ASAP.
after you replace a new bracket on the bottom just check it first the screw area on the lock nut.probably have crack on there slightly on that point and let me know.
because of my experience i working before in apple glass i do,crack repairing,installing windshield and chips repairs.etc.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by entoy
original?how many months from now after installing your windshield?
if goes to a 6 to 8months or a yr.you should change a new bracket ASAP.
after you replace a new bracket on the bottom just check it first the screw area on the lock nut.probably have crack on there slightly on that point and let me know.
because of my experience i working before in apple glass i do,crack repairing,installing windshield and chips repairs.etc.
thank you, but not sure exactly what you mean by checking crack? I am ordering this part #4:

and as you can see it comes in two pieces, the upper and bottom part of the bracket. I have already removed the whole bracket and now there is only a square hole.

what is the function of the bracket? seems the windshield can remain locked in place just by the sealant itself.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sweesiong78
thank you, but not sure exactly what you mean by checking crack? I am ordering this part #4:

and as you can see it comes in two pieces, the upper and bottom part of the bracket. I have already removed the whole bracket and now there is only a square hole.

what is the function of the bracket? seems the windshield can remain locked in place just by the sealant itself.
Sorry i'm late to reply.
CHECKING CRACK? I mean check the area of the bracket of WSHILD. before you install the new one. we happen sometimes on the LOWER RUBBER DAM is broke. so the glass and bracket will touching.
if you did not notice the WSHIELD having crack or tiny spot? im pretty sure your WSHILD is getting worst someday.

About the two pieces? 9 and 4. Right? take a look the illustration no.
N0.9 is(SCREW TAPPING) two pieces required. N0.4 is( HOLDER FR. WSHIELD GLASS) two pieces pieces required.

Ok,before i will answer the last query?
I'm just sharing, all of does guys outhere. Especially my family HONDA-TECH.
I know, it so sad for me this happen.
MY *******, HONDA CIVIC88 HBACK SWAP INTEGRA91.
SOMEBODY STEAL THIS MORNING.huhuhuhu...lol.

The function of the BRACKET of W.SHIELD? Is Allignment of the glass on the center area.
Sealant is support the whole round of W.SHIELD and to AVOID water leak.
etc,etc.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THat bracket is for centering.. I would not worry if its already had window weld on it for awhile