Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

How do you remove rear quarter glass 95 civic hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove rear quarter glass 95 civic hatch?

I am going to be painting my own car and I am wondering how if it can be done do you remove the rear quarter glass in a 95 civic hatchback? I have everything completly removed from the car except them. I am def. a noob with this kind of thing so i am sure you guys that know auto body will see me in here again .

Thanks in advance
Alex
Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the ghetto but very acceptable way is to cut the urethane out from the inside with a new blade and OLFA knife.

you might break a few blades but just keep it parallel and work your way around till the window is ready to pop out.

try your best not to cut the molding so you can reuse it
Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 AM

Default Re: (welfarepc)

thanks for the answer! Once i have it out and the car is painted what exactly do you use to put the window back in? If you take the window out do you have to buy a new moulding for the glass to put it back in or do you just reuse the same moulding? What is the non-ghetto way of doing this. What is your opinion on this do it the ghetto way or what ever the non ghetto way is? Sorry for all of the questions but just trying to be educated about it before i try to take them out!

Thanks again
Alex
Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Re: How do you remove rear quarter glass 95 civic hatch? (alexb16hb)

its more trouble than its worth just to paint car.. tape it up nice and it will be fine.. chances are u will end up flexing it too much and cracking it.. it takes a while to cut them out. and u will need a new molding 99% of the time. and 3m window weld or any windshield urethane glue will work
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you remove rear quarter glass 95 civic hatch? (97grnrs)

i agree with 97grnrs...but instead...if you haven't, take the molding off maybe with some soap and water and heat so you dont break it...then tape the window up...then when installing...which i had a problem with i used soapy water to put the stripping back on...and it was a b**** for me...
Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you remove rear quarter glass 95 civic hatch? (hawjboi)

I agree also. If you don't know anything about removing and installing stationary glass, have a glass guy come out and do it or just mask it as mentioned. Its completely do-able for people familiar with doing full and partial cutouts but you need to know all the correct steps, have proper materials, tools, product knowledge to do it right.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i can say that i (as a complete noob) started working at a junk yard and didnt break one quarter glass, ever. all i used was an olfa blade. and i always had to save the moldings because shops around here are chumps..

it can be done by anyone. fresh blades are the ticket.

the non ghetto way is to pay someone to come and cut it out. the pro's have special knives with 90's on em to get under the urethane and they are way faster. some melt the glass out with a high frequency heat machine

the trick to not breaking the glass is to not flex it. if there is still urethane holding it in, cut it... dont start prying on the glass lol....

just pick somewhere to start and when you think you are through the urethane gently push on the glass from the inside, you will see if it seperates. then keep working around. just use your common sense

if your interior panels are out already, most of the work is done.

on rare occasions (like an 04 accent) it could take me up to an hour to cut the glass out. the urethane was ROCK solid...
Old 03-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (welfarepc)

I'm sure your one of those DIY'ers that's familiar with auto work, and catches on, understands, learns from experience. It's definitely not hard at all if your capable to learn, maybe this dude is. But if someone has to ask on the interwebs if the glass is even removable, that's kinda iffy. Stationary glass is a structural part of a uni-body car, personally I wouldn't recommend a noob to ghetto rig and wing it on their own.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and that, i think we all can agree with