Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

How do i blend paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i blend paint?

just as the title says i'm looking for simple instructions on how to blend paint. i have a couple small areas that i am going to sand down and attempt to blend the paint. i'm just using an enamel paint in spray form. i don't understand how much i tape off. do i leave maybe an inch of the good paint showing (to have something to blend to) and tape off the rest? then how is it done?

thanks in advance for instructions for a noob like myself.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: How do i blend paint? (Tranceaddict87)

To blend correctly you will have to paint the whole panel. Say its the fender in the middle ok start with painting the spot after one to two coats start to do a sweeping motion instead of staying the same distance you will have to arc the gun. Hard to describe but after you did that sand and buff.

If you just tape around the spot and paint after you take off the tape you will have a tape line which you will not like.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i blend paint? (95civicB16)

yea make sure the entire panel is sanded with 1000 wet. Then spray your panel and mist the color off a few 6-8 inches out from your solid base coats. Also make sure there is enough original color on rest of the panel. You cant leave like 3 inches of original paint. It wont be a proper blend. Proceed to clear the entire panel.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do i blend paint? (JdmFrontDc)

base where u need coverage then kinda fan the gun towards the end of ur panel. make sure u have plenty of room te blend. if u dont u might just want to go ahead and blend onto the next panel over
Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the spots i'm going to do are about the size of a square inch. should i sand a couple inches in all directions of it? i don't need an exact match, but as of now i used tape and i have tape lines that look terrible.

how do i prep? do i sand the paint i'm taking off with a relatively low grit paper like 250? 500? then prime it?

if i sand it d down without taking the primer off do i need to prime it again? and in wet sanding is that just dipping the sand paper in water and sanding?

i'm such a noob, it's terrible i know! simple direct instructions are great.

thanks everyone.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tranceaddict87)

so what u r trying to do is spot it in basically? if that is what u r trying to do, that is not a beginners job. i know many experienced painters that cant lay blender out at all. and to do this u would have to use blender. i would say just paint the whole panel
Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: (b20powereDA)

in order to blend the paint you do the whole panel.. you spray the base only where its needed, then you clear outwards of 6" away with regular clear then you use a reducer or a "blender" that will melt the clears together and not leave any lines
Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coptzer)

I always snad the area that needs repair and then scuff the entire panel with a grey scuff pad. Blend the area as stated and then shoot the whole panel with clear. It takes experience to use blend-ease and not tell that it was done. Much easier to just reclear the entire panel. Good luck
Old 08-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SneezinCD5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SneezinCD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always snad the area that needs repair and then scuff the entire panel with a grey scuff pad. Blend the area as stated and then shoot the whole panel with clear. It takes experience to use blend-ease and not tell that it was done. Much easier to just reclear the entire panel. Good luck :thumbup: </TD></TR></TABLE>

best advice u could have ever heard