Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Paint and Body (https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/)
-   -   cant get paint off interior plastics (https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/cant-get-paint-off-interior-plastics-2843926/)

ProudToBeAwesome 10-02-2010 04:14 PM

cant get paint off interior plastics

i got some rear speaker panels for my eg hatch. they were painted silver and i cant get the paint off them

i've tried paint thinner and 2 kinds off goof off any other suggestions

SoDakCRX 10-02-2010 07:29 PM

Re: cant get paint off interior plastics

this is going to sound "batshit" crazy, but try brake fluid. i read somewhere that model car builders use it because it won't hurt the plastic.

worked great on my nightshaded taillights

ProudToBeAwesome 10-02-2010 07:55 PM

brake cleaner or fluid?

~kevin

mesach0 10-02-2010 09:15 PM

just a suggestion. you could just repaint them to match your existing interior with SEM interior paint.

ProudToBeAwesome 10-02-2010 09:48 PM

i was gonna get that but the paints chipping and bubbling in some spots and i cant get much off i dont want it to be all uneven

redline75 10-03-2010 06:58 AM

yes brake fluid might need to soak and use a brush but it can be done

cjw_89 10-06-2010 07:31 AM

Nail polish remover worked for my parents car,also furniture stripper.Both worked well.Wax on/off with the stripper though it will damage the panel if left for any amount of time.Father used a toothbrush with the stripper.As for the nail polish remover,get one low in acetone it will take it off plastics like your console and what not for PASS TIME..

CRXguy_88 10-11-2010 06:24 PM

Get aircraft remover or whatever its called got paint off a ton of interior parts in a crx and didn't hurt plastic original color (black) even a complete center console! They were all red too! Lol

TwoFaced 11-03-2010 07:50 AM

^Aircraft stripper...might hurt the plastics...I just used it on some fairings for a yamaha r6 and it messed up the plastic...not dramatically but enough to where it was more work than help.

EASY OFF OVEN CLEANER!!!! I'm suprised nobody has mentioned it...it's one of the most useful de-ricing tools for interior panels.

oxy3933 11-03-2010 11:27 AM

aircraft remover rofl

D7_62 11-05-2010 02:43 PM

they do make paint remover for plastics in spraybomb form... not sure how good it is, but it does exist.

ej2redcoupe 01-25-2011 07:53 AM

See I have a plastic well polyurethane lip and the guy who previously painted it did a bad job it's chipping in so many areas! And I'm in the same situation I want to paint it but can't seem to find a way to get the paint off! But havent tried brake fluid! What do u guys think

eksessiv 01-25-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by TwoFaced (Post 43924743)
..it's one of the most useful de-ricing tools

Ha..... that is funny. De-ricing