Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Can you get a good paint job at MAACO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can you get a good paint job at MAACO!!!

Originally Posted by Sumslapper
I didnt say it was perfect. I was just showing everyone an example of a 400$ paint job. I think it looks a lot better than most of the primered buckets running around or having a multi-colored car. Even the 50$ paint job guys end up spending way more than 50$.

No **** I could have got a base/clear and wet sanded it to a mirror finish. Just showing people there are better alternatives to priming your car, leaving it that way, and buying a set of 600$ rotas when they could have got a decent paint job instead.

And you CAN wet sand a single-stage paint job. AS LONG AS ITS NOT A METALLIC OR PEARL. I purposely painted my car jet black with no pearls so I could wet sand it, as I knew it would have peel. Crying about orange peel is irrelevant and only rookies are scared of drips/orange-peel.
LOL that so true around here these kids got rims and carbon fiber hoods with primered cars... that **** always gives me a good laugh.. anyways my one friend buys cars and fixes them for a living and the macco he takes them too, do a really good job.. ive seen a few macco's that done **** work.... but i think just depends on the workers aswell... oh sum your car looks good man!!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With automotive paint work you always get what you pay for I know I would not take anything I cared about or planned on keeping to macco....Just my opinion
Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought a used Si. It needs some body work and definately repaint. Someone had painted the car before but I think I could have done a better job. Now I have to pay for paint but am being quoted as much as I bought the car. It just doesnt make sense to me. I am still shopping around for the best quote.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more flicks
Old 09-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Trial User

I just got a paint job at One Day.

It's for my Camry...

My question is this: My car is in the sun, it is waxed regularly and washed weekly.
...am I doing this for naught, that is.. .will this paint look like crap in a year?

I paid 1000$ and that included 200$ of body work.

Thanks.. and sorry for bringing up such an old thread.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CarFreak23
I just got a paint job at One Day.

It's for my Camry...

My question is this: My car is in the sun, it is waxed regularly and washed weekly.
...am I doing this for naught, that is.. .will this paint look like crap in a year?

I paid 1000$ and that included 200$ of body work.

Thanks.. and sorry for bringing up such an old thread.
maaco uses automotive grade paint, so yes, it will look fine, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years and beyond when maintained normally. Its not a rustoleum job like you see in so many threads in here.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Spawne32
maaco uses automotive grade paint, so yes, it will look fine, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years and beyond when maintained normally. Its not a rustoleum job like you see in so many threads in here.

I didn't go to Maaco I went to 1 Day.

This is the paint job I got.. I just do want to bust my butt keeping this looking good if I am fighting a losing battle...

I had a couple hundred $$'s worth of bodywork. By the way... the guy in Van Nuys that runs that office is a typical painter... let me just leave it at that.

The Paint: The best urethane paint that 1-Day has to offer. This product contains an ultraviolet absorber designed to protect your paint from the harsh rays of the sun. This product is so durable, you don’t even have to wax your car for 1 full year. (HA HA HA.. yeah right).It is extremely resistant to acid rain, gasoline and other harmful chemicals. Choice of Colors You can choose from over 15,000 beautiful, colors including metallics, pearls and micas. We also offer free color matching in this system Warranty: A Full 5 Year warranty against Peeling, Wrinkling and Fading. Our warranty is NOT prorated.
Only $659
See our Auto Painting Coupons Page for possible discounts
Old 09-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yet a rustoleum paint job looks 10x better and without a Goofball ruining your vehicle, with crap paint and body work, with little masking and prep.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Trial User

So just real quick back to my question.
1Day Paint uses Sherman Williams Urethene Paint.

Is waxing/washing going to keep this paint job halfway preserved from that hot sun here in SoCal?

I'd like it to look nice a year from now.. any chances? I can't garage this car.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So just real quick back to my question.
1Day Paint uses Sherman Williams Urethene Paint.

Is waxing/washing going to keep this paint job halfway preserved from that hot sun here in SoCal?

I'd like it to look nice a year from now.. any chances? I can't garage this car.

Thanks.
sherman williams does sell vehicle refinish grade paints, not exactly stellar stuff, but alot better then rustoleum. Ultimately it will depend on the prep work of the person that did your car, and the amount of UV protectants the paint contains. If it looks good now, proper maintenance will keep it looking good.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Trial User

It does look good now... and it gets washed weekly and waxed monthly.

Lets hope they did what they say as far as prep work, I think my body shop guy did give them some instructions about that because he didn't want it coming out blotchy he said.

I use several of the products that Maguiar's offers.

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yikes, you definitely are not supposed to wax or "seal" any fresh catalyzed paint for up to 3 months after it is painted, they surely told you that right? SW paint actually isn't too bad. It's clearly no PPG but it isn't rusto either. You won't have problems with durability, urethane paint is SO much stronger than the old enamels (ESPECIALLY oil-based).

And I know you say "haha, yeah right" to the no wax for one year thing but that is pretty accurate with most urethane paints. Lacquers and enamels would fade pretty quick when left un-waxed but the clear coat on new paintjobs is much more durable, truly. Waxing before one year will improve gloss and give a warmer look but I'm not sure it will add much protection.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Trial User

It was painted the mid to late May, waxed in mid August.

I checked with my body guy...he said ok to wax but nothing else.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was painted the mid to late May, waxed in mid August.

I checked with my body guy...he said ok to wax but nothing else.
You'll be fine with May and August. It can ruin a paintjob though by waxing IMMEDIATELY after the cut and buff or after the paint cures as the paint needs to outgas. I've heard wax can cause hazing, gloss dieback and other various problems.

If you wanted to, you'd be fine to cut and buff at any time if you know how. If the paint begins to appear oxidized after a year or two, a cut and buff will restore the initial shine.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddys wife got her ek painted at maaco and it was the best 500 bucks ive seen. we rolor painted it lol so it was an extra 100 to get sanded of. it was a single stage gunmedal color. they do skimp on taping off tho.and some overspray on exhaust. he never got to wax it bc within 18 hours of getting the car back she slid on some ice and hit a truck. if i would go to maacco for a paint job i woud take off anything you dont want painted/trim/mirrors/exhaust/taill lights/head light ect.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you guys think a single stage matte-black would come out from maaco? if you did all the prep work, and taped eveything up... moldings etc...
Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dem0nk1d
how do you guys think a single stage matte-black would come out from maaco? if you did all the prep work, and taped eveything up... moldings etc...
Matte black looks bad on cars. Prep needs to be perfect, it can't get dust in it when sprayed, it is next to impossible to clean, you aren't supposed to wax it, you can't cut or buff it and touchups are generally very obvious. If it isn't a trailer queen, it shouldn't be matte black.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly, the only matte black ive seen that came out good was SEM hot rod black paint, we did it on my brothers motorcycle and it came out fantastic, thing about flat automotive paint is that its not actually "flat", its more of a satin finish when done properly. It just has to be to provide the kind of protection that automotive paint provides.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no my idea was to murder out my civic. using hot rod flatz by Kustom Shop. I know the matte-black has a low gloss to it, and that's fine. That's the look i want, and the flat paints are mostly single stage paints with the integrated flatting agent which gives it that semi gloss look.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no my idea was to murder out my civic. using hot rod flatz by Kustom Shop. I know the matte-black has a low gloss to it, and that's fine. That's the look i want, and the flat paints are mostly single stage paints with the integrated flatting agent which gives it that semi gloss look.
Many suppliers make flattening agents for their clearcoats as well.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it is a dual stage paint, as in, bascoat clear coat, in this case a semi flat clear coat, make sure that it is sprayed in a controlled environment and mixed extremely well, and that all the panels are done in the same day. The issue we had with the semi flat clear was that every time we sprayed a panel, we had to do it on a different day, the environmental conditions changed the way the "flat" would appear on each panel, resulting in some panels being sort of a sharp satin finish, and others being closer to a flat finish. the single stage paint held its consistency alot better then having to deal with the woes of clearcoat drying.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a paint job at maaco about 3 years ago. i paid for the second highest level paintjob they had. today, my car looks like ****. i just got done buffing my hood for an hour from the oxidized paint, water spots, and chips off the moulding on my front bumper. they did not use a plastic adhesive for my mouldings, they did not prime the car, they did not get even coats, there is orange peel like crazy, they only sprayed what looks like one, maybe two coats, i paid them an *** load of money, the list goes on. i take car of my paint like no ones business. i have a special microfiber mitt that no one is allowed to use. i wash it in the washing machine after each time i use it so it doesnt collect dirt. i only use good car wash detergent. i wax the car regularly. i only park in the shade if i have that option. and the paint still looks like ****. im thinking about getting it re painted soon.

sorry maaco, you will never get my business again. maaco gets two thumbs WAY down from me.

edit: i had another car that i was selling that i got painted at maaco because the old paint was fading... also a piece of sh*t paint job. you could see where the paint was running down the sides of the car because they sprayed one thick coat and then get it back to me without any kind of inspection, curing, or care that it looked like ***.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive seen hella cars come outta macco with orange peel
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Romero_VIP
orange peel is a normal side effect of the repaint process, maaco cars are painted by hand, not by robot, so it all depends on how well the painter works with the gun, but ultimately there is always orange peel, the only way to get rid of orange peel is to cut and buff the clear coat properly afterwards.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Romero_VIP
Yup^..Just about all cars have orange peel to some degree. It's never noticed cause people just don't care to pay attention and just think paint is paint. When I got stuck at a stealership for 5 hours me and my buddy walked the lot and 90% of cars had orange peel, the srt10 was by far the most severe.