Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Best paint for the money.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best paint for the money.

Im looking for good quality paint. BUT i dont want to break my bank account. Can someone point me in the right direction. Websites or something. I know you get what u pay for. So i want a good quality for the cheapest price. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best paint for the money.

You're going to have 20 people come in this thread with 20 different ideas of what's 'best' for the money, but honestly it's all about the same quality when you're talking about quality paint. "Good quality" is a relative term, and to really get high quality is not going to be cheap. Look at brands like PPG, DuPont, BASF, etc. They each have their 'off brands' which are good as well. Your best bet is to just go talk to your local paint supplier and get their opinion. Explain your goals, give them an approximate price range and get a good idea from the people who you'll actually be buying from. Whatever you get, just stick with that system for all of the liquid materials. Don't mix supplies.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you plan on painting it yourself then I agree with above.Most painters use what they feel comfortable using so if you are paying someone else to do it then let them take care of it so they can get a consistent finish using what they are used to.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

quality + cheapest = error cannot compute

u can get the best bang for your buck but that doesnt always equal quality.

re-think your budget.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cheapest def doesn't mean cheap. I'm saying best paint for the least about amount of money. I DON'T WANT CHEAP PAINT! i want something that will stick and will last and look good. but also something that's not like 500 a gallon. shouldn't be that hard to understand.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

House of kolor has a pretty decent line of paint if you don't exactly want to spend a lot of money

http://www.tcpglobal.com/RestorationShop/rspcolors.aspx
Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hookedonponics
House of kolor has a pretty decent line of paint if you don't exactly want to spend a lot of money

http://www.tcpglobal.com/RestorationShop/rspcolors.aspx
Nice find, that is a good deal on the packages.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tizzakowack
Cheapest def doesn't mean cheap. I'm saying best paint for the least about amount of money. I DON'T WANT CHEAP PAINT! i want something that will stick and will last and look good. but also something that's not like 500 a gallon. shouldn't be that hard to understand.
That's not hard to understand at all... and neither is the advice I gave a few posts up. Go talk to your local paint supplier. Walk into the store and explain what you want. They'll guide you to your best option. You're clearly not going to be happy with any advice that an actual automotive painter gives you because we use high quality paint that costs quite a bit of money. All of the big names offer mid-range brands that are more budget friendly. What you're not going to get from anyone here is a definitive answer about what's 'best for the money' because there are many different 'bests' for a wide range of prices. It does no good to take a recommendation to use 'X' brand from this thread and walk into your paint supplier and ask for it when they only might supply 'Y' and 'Z' brands. As I said, go to the store where you'll actually be buying the paint and supplies and talk to them.

For example, our shop uses PPG. PPG has NEXA, Deltron, Shop-Line, Omni, Value-pro and a few others as sub brands of PPG. Each of those brands has a few sub-lines of paint as well. I could recommend that you use Deltron solvent basecoat, but your local supplier might only offer Omni. Go pick from what your supplier offers.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i wasnt talking about you. but ya ill go talk to the local paint store...if i even have one in my town im not sure.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tizzakowack
lol i wasnt talking about you. but ya ill go talk to the local paint store...if i even have one in my town im not sure.
http://www.drautopaint.com/

There are probably more (maybe closer), but that was what I found from a quick Google search.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i painted my hatch with hot rod flatz (camo brown) got the whole kit for 160.00 came with everthing. gallon of paint, hardener, reducer, strainers, sticks, and my car came out mint. i love it, very happy with it and its so easy to spray!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Duplic colour = cheap paint anyone??
Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i went with ppg omni single stage when i painted an integra last summer. I used hondas ebony black color then wet sanded and buffed it to a mirror shine.

Loved it, a year later still looks great. And it only cost about $100 for a gallon of it.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Your a lifesaver atleast to me lol

I just puchased my DC2 sometime in November guy gave me all the materials to paint the car and the paint was PPG OMNI Single stage I was kinda on the wanting to get something better side but ended up wanting to keep it after your post thanks lol
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Omni is what we use for some quick jobs and it's decent. It dyes-back easily if you get a heavy hand so make sure you spray each coat as recommended... don't just load it on there each coat.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My opinion for the best paint for the money is Kirker. They make good paint it last long and is fairly cheap. I have heard that Napa makes their own now, I don't know the price but it could be cheap if you want to check it out.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would got for dupont chromabase.
but like what the others above me said.
you can get quality but if you cant shoot, then it aint gonna turn out well.
prep is where it all starts.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: Best paint for the money.

Really depends on what you like and exactly what it is that you're looking for as listed above,

Custom colors are going to cost more when you get them mixed, and certain lines of paint from PPG (e.g. vibrance) and DuPont's (Hot Hues) are more expensive and cater to a more exclusive market.

I have used PPG, HOK, and some other paint manufacturer's paints. I can honestly tell you in the years that I have been painting things that alot of your end result is also going to depend on the prep work that you put into it, because that is going to determine a lot of the surface qualities, and as paint is a surface finish, it's worth it to get the surface straight first.

The next thing comes down to the gun and getting all the equipment setup so that you don't have contamination issues or irregular spray patterns. Again cleanliness and equipment are important here, and while many people regard them as the rule, there are exceptions.

With a sufficient amount of work, and a bit of research, you can easily make a low cost paint job look very very good.

One site that I would highly recommend is TCP global particularly because of the fact that they have a very wide selection of paints. In addition to the listings in the HOK, and Kustom Shop sections, you can pretty much order up any OEM paint finish from them using their Auto-Color Library website.

If you're hesitant about paints I can also tell you that TCP's line of paint is very good for the money. I have re-sprayed a few panels on a few cars from time to time, and they do a great job of matching color's to the chips. The paint is very good quality for the money.

Hope this helps and this is just my .02
Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If by
Originally Posted by ken9
Duplic colour
, you mean Dupli-Color, I would say so....
Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think DC2.2 GSR knows wat he is talking about i'll take his advice...thanks im in the same boat too...
Old 12-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey try paintforcars.com i've tried the paint before and you get nice results.
that or try using PPG omni but it all depends on what style of paintjob you want though