Notices
Other Make Vehicles Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

Restoring My old RedLine ProLine Expert BMX

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Restoring My old RedLine ProLine Expert BMX

Whats up guys id like to share a small project im working on at home on my spare time, So i was tired of how old and beat up my RedLine was so i decided to do a low budget retore and bring it back to life, I used to strip my BMX bikes and paint them all the time as a kid and this project deff brought me back to some good old times. I took lots of pics so i will upload them asap, currently the bike is 90% done and i really like how it came out and like it even more than my Green RedLine Line ProLine Pro i have lol enjoy.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 03-03-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:07 PM
Down Since Day 1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Restoring My old RedLine ProLine Expert BMX

I wanted nothing more than a Redline or Free Agent bike when I was young lad.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1 point 6
I wanted nothing more than a Redline or Free Agent bike when I was young lad.

Yea Man my first redline was a Proline Pro! red and white sceme! it cost me $890! that i saved up woking at a pizza shop, it got stolen some time later and i was so upset! i worked so hard for it and it was the top of the line Redline you could buy at the time! it looked bad *** actually very similar to how this one came out, i think subcontiansly i redisighned it to resembel the first redline im talking about and diddnt realize it till after.Still looks sweet imo.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I disassembled the frame till it was bare and tossed all the parts in a box! yea i know but not to worry i know where each and every bolt and bearing goes lol. I also removed the crank bearing cups and the headset bearing cups and prepared to strip it bare to the metal and have it prepped for the first coat of filler primer.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would of liked to of had the frame stripped and powder coated to make my life easier but these shops are rediculas in CA so im sticking with cheap $98 walmart rattle can paint, they all most want around $80 to strip the frame and around $150 for powder coat! i can buy a powder coat kit for half that! anyway im a do it your selfer and i sometimes do custom hydro dipped valve covers as well so im no stranger to stripping things down. Which brings me to this frame that was cursed from hell! for some reason the decals were caked on from the suns exposure and they would not come off even with thinner gasoline or this other stuff i had, back in the days some gasoline soaked in a rag would take off the decals pretty easy but not this frame lol. So i busted out my dremel and some sanding bits and went to town! i literally stripped the freaking thing down for countless hours and just got as most paint off as i could then hand sanded the metal smooth as i could but man were my hands hurting!

Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hung the frame in my garrage and gave it a few coats of filler primer and some sanding in between coats.

A funny thing i remembered when it came to taping off the crank hole i used 2 oil caps from a 5qt oil jugs i had in the garrage from a old oil change it fits perfect enough to seal it and pops right out! Heres a pic of the last coat of white! i must say even though im a pretty good painter the paint job came out very nice for a $.98 can of paint from walmart! I gave it a krylon double coverage clear coat! its about $6 but its a real nice clear coat i like to use! covers nice and thick and needs less coats!

Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You should have had the frame dipped in neochrome lol
Old 03-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShinsenTuner
You should have had the frame dipped in neochrome lol
Nah too broke for that $.98 rattle can is good enough lol
Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So heres a pic of the paint rack i made, i just wraped a small clothing line stand with trash bags and it even has wheels so it rolled around perfect. I painted the handle bars, stem, fork, crank sprocket, crank, pedals, brake lever and calipers. Just a few coats did the job, the black and red and flat black i already had so that saved $2 lol

Parts are painted and ready for install.

I couldnt for the life of me get the pedals off so i popped off the reflectors and just painted them together with the crank.

I cleaned up all the bearings and small parts, i set in the headset cups and crank cups and picked up some cheap grease and lubed up the headset and crank and installed them back on and they are smooth as butter.

Set the brake calipers in,

Frame is back together and brakes are assembled complete.

First set of ProLine decals came in!

I know this is gonna be a decal ***** but i like it for now but i did remove the decals off the brake calipers! looked too cheasy lol

The second set of RedLine decals arrived and now looks like a real Redline again haha,

I put the Proline decal on the outside of the fork and the RedLine decal on the inside of the fork for a diffrent look.

Decals on the under side too haha,

Got these new RedLine Red grips with new end caps to give the handle bars a nice touch, they were only $10 on ebay.

Ill be doing a full tune up on my Green ProLine Pro in the back..

I will order a new black RedLine seat i found one for $25 on ebay and a new chain because the OEM chain diddnt have a master link so i ordered a chain link remover tool for $3 on ebay from china haha got to love china! there like $20+ here in the US. Works just fine.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 03-05-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I started this in Dec 2015 and just slowly been working on it, i barely have time i work 10 hr days but i feel proud of my projects because they keep me going and i like doing arts and crafts, im in my 30's but still find joy in stuff like this. Keeps me out of trouble and my mind clear from stress.

Heres a B series Valve cover i did for a member and my Procharger supercharger blower housing i hydro dipped recently, both are dipped in urban digital cammo but with diffrent base colors,

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 03-07-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

awesome restore man! I wish i never got rid of my Hoffman i had back in the day.. I built that thing from the frame up. Looking forward to seeing this done. Are the wheels single or double walls? If it were mine i would do triple walls and some fatty axles. But that prob defeats the purpose of restoring it to original.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice work bro. I also restore bmx bikes but mainly the early 80s race bikes. Its really a awesom hobby to have. Do you ride much these days?
Old 03-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej2guy21
awesome restore man! I wish i never got rid of my Hoffman i had back in the day.. I built that thing from the frame up. Looking forward to seeing this done. Are the wheels single or double walls? If it were mine i would do triple walls and some fatty axles. But that prob defeats the purpose of restoring it to original.

Thanks man i appreaciate it, the wheels are single walls. Yea im not trying to pour too much $ into hence i had a budget restore or else yea id upgrade the crank to a 3 piece ect.

Originally Posted by Mr Rattles
Very nice work bro. I also restore bmx bikes but mainly the early 80s race bikes. Its really a awesom hobby to have. Do you ride much these days?
Whats up brotha! glad to meet another guy who does restores on BMX thats Awsome man! Its one of my favorite hobbies i had as a kid infact i was a young picker back in my days when i was arould 12, i used to go around everywhere buying frames wheels headsets and would build my own BMX bikes. My favorite was a GT mach1 i had with which at that time in the early 90's was a sweet bike, What i loved about it was one day picking at a fellow BMX riders friends house for parts i got a good deal on a set of uber rare carbon fiber SPIN rims! these were the ****! they were weighted and were light as a feather! sealed bearings! just taping the rim it spun forever from being weighted! I used to race on my Redline Proline back in the day at Kearny Moto Park man was those the days! i absolutley loved to ride all the time from my first job at a pizza shop at 16, i rode my bmx everywhere till i got my licence at 18 lol I still ride at least once a weak my doctor says its keeping me in great shape!

Old 03-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

White bike, VC and procharger looking pretty cool.

Would definitely remove half of those decals though.

Are you going for the period correct look? Or just personal style?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Thanks man i appreaciate it, the wheels are single walls. Yea im not trying to pour too much $ into hence i had a budget restore or else yea id upgrade the crank to a 3 piece ect.

Whats up brotha! glad to meet another guy who does restores on BMX thats Awsome man! Its one of my favorite hobbies i had as a kid infact i was a young picker back in my days when i was arould 12, i used to go around everywhere buying frames wheels headsets and would build my own BMX bikes. My favorite was a GT mach1 i had with which at that time in the early 90's was a sweet bike, What i loved about it was one day picking at a fellow BMX riders friends house for parts i got a good deal on a set of uber rare carbon fiber SPIN rims! these were the ****! they were weighted and were light as a feather! sealed bearings! just taping the rim it spun forever from being weighted! I used to race on my Redline Proline back in the day at Kearny Moto Park man was those the days! i absolutley loved to ride all the time from my first job at a pizza shop at 16, i rode my bmx everywhere till i got my licence at 18 lol I still ride at least once a weak my doctor says its keeping me in great shape!

Hey bud, I totally agree with you its 1 of my favourite hobbies and keeps me busy. The amount of time that goes into these things can only be truly appreciated by another like minded person. Wow bro those spin rims are insane! I sold my last bike in 2004 for car parts lol. Man i was stupid. Dont you wish you could have kept all your childhood toys? I sure do
Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Restoring My old RedLine ProLine Expert BMX

Sorry to hijack your thread bro, just wanted to share my first restoration project as a old man hehe

Before

Aftet about 6months, many late and cold night in the garage

what you think bro?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes before you say it the seat guts in backwards lol. These are old pics.ive got new if youre interested and a few other projects
Old 03-09-2016, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice bike!!!!! I remember i had a redline briefly as a teen. Mad that was so nice. A neighbor who was movingh gave it to me in exchange for helping him move. A week after owning it someone stole it out of my backyard. I never wanted to execute the predator spine rip more than when my bike was stolen. Lol. I hope you have a blast riding that thing.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
White bike, VC and procharger looking pretty cool.

Would definitely remove half of those decals though.

Are you going for the period correct look? Or just personal style?

Thanks, yea it is a bit of a decal ***** but i do remember my old Pro line Pro i had years back that got stolen looked very much like thhis one. It did have lots of decals all over but diffrent decals lke Tioga ect.. I just used up all the decals that came in my set i got. I might remove a few but i do like the way it looks so i guess you can say its a personal style im going for with this but like i said there was a Pro Line pro model made years back that looked very much like this one. I baught it brand new for $800 and it was the badest looking redline i ever seen, hence maybe why i subcontionsly did this one like that lol. Its only a Expert no Pro Line Pro but it still is a really good racing frame.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bud, I totally agree with you its 1 of my favourite hobbies and keeps me busy. The amount of time that goes into these things can only be truly appreciated by another like minded person. Wow bro those spin rims are insane! I sold my last bike in 2004 for car parts lol. Man i was stupid. Dont you wish you could have kept all your childhood toys? I sure do
Yes its a great hobby imo and it will deff keep you busy! to me its almost a outlet and it really gets my mind of stress and all the BS that you go through through the day, for me its like a place i can go to and just focus on the restore and not think about all the things that would normally weigh down on you by the end of the day and just lets my mind free of stress. And like you said not allot of people know the amount of time and effort it takes to appreciate it I spent many hours staying up late sanding the frame but to me its very satifiying to see the outcome and positive feadback from people like you. If only i could keep all the things i had as kid yea that would be awsome too bad theres thieves and older brothers that take them from ya lol
Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hijack your thread bro, just wanted to share my first restoration project as a old man hehe

Before

Aftet about 6months, many late and cold night in the garage

what you think bro?
Hey man thats fantastic! I absolutley love the era of these bikes! I swear it on everything when we lived in New York my older brother had one just like how yours ended up restored! I remember the rims were just like that and the frame and goose neck lol wow dude that looks awesome!
Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spoonfixer
Nice bike!!!!! I remember i had a redline briefly as a teen. Mad that was so nice. A neighbor who was movingh gave it to me in exchange for helping him move. A week after owning it someone stole it out of my backyard. I never wanted to execute the predator spine rip more than when my bike was stolen. Lol. I hope you have a blast riding that thing.
Thanks man! your neighbor must of been real cool to of gave you that RedLine! yea i had 2 stolen from me and i was very sad when it happened its just one of those things having nice bikes as kids. I cant wait to ride thing and take it out for a cruise!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wunfstgsr

Thanks for the kind words bro, I appreciate it especially from a person like you.
So do you have more bikes? Lets see a few pics.
Do you flatland? I fall alot do try keep things on gravel haha my body isnt as flexible as it was 20years ago hehe.

So i was thinking perhaps its time for a new school bike
What are your thoughts on the 2016 Haro Master tribute bike?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Riding last Summer.

Man we fell hard that day haha
Old 04-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any updates?

Quick Reply: Restoring My old RedLine ProLine Expert BMX