Notices
Other Make Vehicles Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

My 1G drag car (chassis and exhaust work)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1G drag car (chassis and exhaust work)

I have not been on in some time. But I wanted to post some pictures of the current state of the car. With any luck the car will make it's first pass with the new setup next week. As soon as my new harnesses get here she'll be legal for the track again.
So,whatta' you guys think? It's going to look a lot cleaner. Some of the OEM metal in this picture is gone now. Such as the other half of the top of the rad support. Thats gone. Looks a lot cleaner. But you get the idea.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 1G drag car (chassis and exhaust work)

Old mild steel downpipe ^

New stainless Downpipe and dump ^
Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn brotha thats a REALLY sweet lookin setup you got goin on there...Post up your time slips when you get it out to the track

Out of curiousity what was your best time with the old setup and what was it?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly,I've yet to track this car. My best time in my last Talon was 10.66 / 137mph. But that was a street/strip car that was nothing like this thing. This ones not really streetable anymore. It's street legal,but it's just not worth the hassle.
The previous owner of this car ran 9.40's / 150+mph. He accomplished this with just 800whp. This new setup should be able to generate 950-1,000whp if all goes as planned. The supporting modifications are all there. Just have to make it happen now.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sick
Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me see if I can find the link to the DSport feature from a few years ago when the previous owner had it.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok,well since the *** that bought my 93' TSi stole my back issue of DSport with my car in it I guess I can't just copy and paste it up here. But basicaly everything is different. Better gearbox (Shep dogbox/PPG gearset), beefier motor (From the pan to the valve cover), waaaay higher flowing fuel system, and a much more powerful turbo system. The only thing that is still intact from the previous owner would be the ECU and the body. Paint comes next, along with a lighter deck lid and doors. Car weighs in at 2,800lbs as of right now with me in it.
The car has gone 10.00 flat with 700whp at 3,000lbs w/driver and a factory modified Mitsubishi gearbox. And 9.41 at 3,000lbs and 800whp. With a little more weight taken out and an extra 150-200whp the car should generate low,low 9 sec passes possibly high 8's. We'll have to just wait and see.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I'm ready to turn the key. I've just got to put my battery in and that pretty much it. Trying to get the car back to my house right now. I've still gotta re-torque the studs. I just want it at my house for the first start. All my tools and crap are here.
But everythings been primed and painted. Front end metal work is done!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude this thing is gonna be a beast, as an owner of a 1g talon and a local one at that i must say i am impressed, most cars around here are never what theyre cracked up to be, i assume at this power level your using an aem ems ?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you just inspired me to purchase a CX racing radiator..so many peeps knocked it, screw them
Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93cxhatchsir2
Dude this thing is gonna be a beast, as an owner of a 1g talon and a local one at that i must say i am impressed, most cars around here are never what theyre cracked up to be, i assume at this power level your using an aem ems ?
Actually I run the Haltech E11v2. For the most part I've always ran Haltechs and they've never really given me any problems. I used an E6K in my last Talon. For $650 I could'nt complain. It did everything I needed it to and it was probably the most simple program you could ask for.
I have no immediate plans of switching EMS's but if I was I would probably go for a Motec or a F.A.S.T system. Motec is very expensive,but they're also suppose to be among the top engine management systems in the world.
It all comes down to having the knowledge to put these amazing systems to work the right way. I'm still learning how to tune,but I have a good friend that has a great deal of experiance with these systems. I'm picking up whatever I can from him while doing my own research as well. At this point though I'm relying on him to tune the car. Once it's running correctly than I will begin making my own tweaks.

93CXhatch,where in NY are you?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im located right outside of middletown new york, in orange county, about 30 minutes from marlboro. Im currently driving a basic bolton talon running e85 and using the dsmap software, learning to tune it myself, i hope one day to have an awesome all-out beast like the one you have. What track are you going to run this at? Do you plan on competing in a specific class or is this just for fun?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At this point in the season I'm going to have to make the trip out to Atco. I go to Lebanon valley once in a while but I prefer Atco.
I was planning on running NHRA Sport RWD class,but with the chassis alterations I've just done I don't know if I'm still applicable for this class. They prohibit any alterations or removal of any structural parts such as cross members and things of this nature.
Plus I'm just under the class weight limit with 2 power adders. So I'm not sure what class I'll be running in just yet. I may have to add some weight. Hopefully I won't be prohibited from competing in Sport RWD. This is the class that the previous owner ran in and did very well. As far as I know he had been leading in this class for a few years. However the cars are a lot faster in that class now than they were 5 years ago.
So you live out near Middletown? I know a guy named Les from out there. He use to have a red 1G. Not sure what he drives now. I know a few guys from out there from when I was going to LTI (Lincoln Technical Institute) in Mahwah.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freshdot
you just inspired me to purchase a CX racing radiator..so many peeps knocked it, screw them
Yeah,can't complain. They had them for $229 on the site. I paid $150. I guess I got lucky and got the guy on the phone in a really good mood or something. lol. That was for the larger 3 row core. With fan and shroud. Could'nt be happier.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a very nice setup. I can't wait to get back into DSM's They are fun.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah,they are fun. Until they are like my car and than they are just fun when they are running.lol. My 93' Talon made 385whp on pump gas and 550whp on C-16. It went 11.30's on pump and 10.66@ 137mph with 550whp on C-16. But it ran great. On pump gas map the car ran and idled like a stock car. That was a fun car to drive.

Heres a few more pics of what I've been up to. I welded in a piece of 5/8" round stock from one side of the top of the rad support to the other side. Replacing the section that was cut out to make room for the rad. I still have to paint it,so it's a little rough looking right now. Also mounted the oil cooler and made a 2.5" notch in the frame the allow the gate dump to pass through instead of going around and putting more bends in the piping .

Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work man, is that 3" ic piping?lol damn. I could see how that car would only be fun for one or two days out of the week, but when you have a powerful street talon you can have fun all day every day as long as you keep up with regular maintenance.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93cxhatchsir2
Nice work man, is that 3" ic piping?lol damn. I could see how that car would only be fun for one or two days out of the week, but when you have a powerful street talon you can have fun all day every day as long as you keep up with regular maintenance.
Yeah,3" on the compressor side. 3.5" from the intercooler to the throttle body. The intake manifold and charge piping was made with top end and high rpm in mind.
Yeah,any 4 cylinder that makes 4-5 times what the factory produced them with is going to be tempermental. Thats why I've got my El Camino for the street . It's only got a 350ci in it,but it makes around 500hp. But it's a solid lifter/cam motor. It's got a true muscle car feel. Nice and rumbly!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the process of making a bumper gaurd. Still have to make the hole for the wastegate,and trim the angled side. Came out ok though.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Trial User

very nice work, it looks great!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice setup man!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you mind posting some details of your setup?(if not secret)
I actually am putting my talon in a garage for the winter and going all out, its going to be street/strip all new parts, built motor big turbo,cams etc... looking to run consistent tens
Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dope
Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its nice to see another 42r powered 1g on here. Are you still on gas or an e85 car?

Bryan

Quick Reply: My 1G drag car (chassis and exhaust work)