Notices
Other Make Vehicles Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

Ford Contour SVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Contour SVT

Here is my 99 contour svt. For those unfamiliar with it, its a rather rare car with only 10000 made from 98-2000. It has a 200 hp v6 and can be had very cheaply. They handle great but are plagued by engine failures. Haven't had that happen yet though (knock on wood). Sorry the pics suck..

My Mom's Saab 9-2x Aero is spying on it..

With the 250 and my dog

Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting car. Never seen an SVT model. The side view reminds me a little of a Sentra but the front and rears have that classic 90s ford styling, lol.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
IYAAYAS

Default Re: Ford Contour SVT (urbansledder)

I remember them sounding pretty good. Isnt the intake manifold extrude honed from the factory?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ford Contour SVT (ammob16)

Almost bought one instead of my accord. glad I didn't now
Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Ford Contour SVT (jweller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jweller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Almost bought one instead of my accord. glad I didn't now</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like accords.. I dated a girl with the exact same car as is in your sig (99 i4 5-mt)
and to be honest I'd much rather have my car. The way it pulls (and sounds) through the midrange is much stronger and meatier than any stock n-a 4 cyclinder that I've come across. The handling characteristics of the car are MUCH better than a (stock) accord as well.
The rarity of seeing another one around also makes it fun to own.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the engine, but in the shogun.

also love the saab's
Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my mom had a SVT a few years back, it was an alright car.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always been interested in Ford's SVO/SVT products even though some have had problems (the 1st gen SHO auto tranny failures / 2nd gen SHO V8 cam failures). Hard to argue with the SVT Mustangs & Ford Lightnings tho!

You are right about the rarity and the relatively good performance of your car. If you keep it 40 years it will be worth some big jack

Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Ford Contour SVT (BigDaddyHonda)

Had one of these and loved it. Removed the rear exhaust sections, replaced with straight pipes, and had one of the best sounding cars I have ever had. Would def. recommend doing this
Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Tickle-shits

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigDaddyHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've always been interested in Ford's SVO/SVT products even though some have had problems (the 1st gen SHO auto tranny failures / 2nd gen SHO V8 cam failures). Hard to argue with the SVT Mustangs & Ford Lightnings tho!

You are right about the rarity and the relatively good performance of your car. If you keep it 40 years it will be worth some big jack

</TD></TR></TABLE>
The N/A 4V Cobras that didnt have Teksid blocks...

Block failure...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ford Contour SVT (Tokyosmash!)

How much you looking to get? My brother in-law and I just did a 3L swap on his 98.5 wouldnt mind one myself I have been interested in them for years now, Oh and common problems were water pumps (big deal change it out) but the worse one was bearing failures BUT those were mainly caused by HARD right hand turns which well how they handle I could see why people would be getting on them in turns.

Also did you have this listed on Craigslist?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbansledder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I like accords.. I dated a girl with the exact same car as is in your sig (99 i4 5-mt)
and to be honest I'd much rather have my car. The way it pulls (and sounds) through the midrange is much stronger and meatier than any stock n-a 4 cyclinder that I've come across. The handling characteristics of the car are MUCH better than a (stock) accord as well.
The rarity of seeing another one around also makes it fun to own.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No doubt that it's faster. I'm just referring to the reliability issues. I've had very few issues in 248k on the accord. I'm certain I wouldn't have gotten that in the Contour.

Still a cool car. I didn't mean it as as dig
Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eh not that rare I see them all the time.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo neighboor. Those cars sound sick with a good exhaust. Remind me of vr6 engines. There in one in Livonia thats been turboes. Sick lil v6's.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigDaddyHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've always been interested in Ford's SVO/SVT products even though some have had problems (the 1st gen SHO auto tranny failures / 2nd gen SHO V8 cam failures). Hard to argue with the SVT Mustangs & Ford Lightnings tho!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the 2nd gen SHO v8 engine was made by yamaha.

I remember the first time I saw a blacked out svt contour on the toll road, I was like, "WTF IS THAT?!" very nice. very nice driving car too, if it wasn't for the cam failures, I probably would have picked one up.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm sure you'll disagree, but...for the outside size of the car, you'd think the interiors would feel bigger. i hate how cramped they are, no reason for it.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbansledder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The rarity of seeing another one around also makes it fun to own.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in most other areas that statement would probably hold true but there are a lot of SVT Contours in the SE MI area. Hell, there was a HUGE Contour meet in Canton this year in May called Spring Zing. Last year it was in Grand Rapids. It's a 4 day meet with Drag and Road racing, show and some other stuff going on.

the problem with the engine failure is believed to be bad oil draining on the driver side of the head so while in high rpm sweeping right hand turns you can starve the bottom end and spin a crank bearing. Many SVT owners will run extra oil (1/2" higher than full line) to help prevent this. But SVT did do some extensive tests to prove this but weren't successful iirc. So there may be some other factors.

and don't be hard on the transmission with launches. The differentials are known to be a weak point and many have broken them.

also, cant really compare it with a I4 Accord.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ammob16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I remember them sounding pretty good. Isnt the intake manifold extrude honed from the factory?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, the upper intake manifold was extrude honed in all years. The lower intake manifold was as well iirc. The intake ports on the early models were only extrude honed on the secondary ports but not the primary ports. In later models I believe both intake ports were extrude honed and I think the lower intake manifold ports were slightly large which is why the 99-00 are rated at 5hp more than the 98 and 98.5.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOUR-G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm sure you'll disagree, but...for the outside size of the car, you'd think the interiors would feel bigger. i hate how cramped they are, no reason for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh, idk... but they are oh so comfy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jweller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just referring to the reliability issues. I've had very few issues in 248k on the accord. I'm certain I wouldn't have gotten that in the Contour</TD></TR></TABLE>

no secret there... Honda is well known for it's reliability. Plus, working on the engine of an Accord has way more room to work around than an SVT Contour, that engine bay is packed!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 PM

TouringAccord,
Not only did i hear about the CEG meet in Canton, I went to it. I know a relatively large amount about the car, in fact everything you mentioned, but I was just showing the honda fans that may not be familiar with it.

Anyways yeah I love my car; its not for sale as someone asked. Despite all the bad things I've heard about them, I've put almost 20,000 trouble free miles on it, and the car has just under 90k currently.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (urbansledder)

nice, I heard it was a lot of fun.

have you removed the upper intake manifold yet to either clean or see how dirty it is? If not, I would advise doing so. It's crazy how dirty that intake can become. Besides the cramped engine bay I think that would be one of my biggest complaints.

after putting the time in too clean it up you'll probably want to use an oil separator to help remove the oil from the air coming from the pcv into the upper intake manifold.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ford Contour SVT (crxcess)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxcess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the 2nd gen SHO v8 engine was made by yamaha.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the SHO V6 was also yamaha-developed
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Ford Contour SVT (RynoDyno312)

just sold mine last month, fun car but a pain in the *** to work on and find parts.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.batinc.net/

Great source for SVT parts. They use to be 10mins from my house. Really nice guys, good prices, and can get parts from England, ie Mondeo ST220 etc
Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Ford Contour SVT

[Unacceptable language deleted. You can say you don't like the car, you can say how awful it is if you're honestly motivated, but you cannot use the kind of offensive language and offensive attitude that you've used here.]

Last edited by George Knighton; 01-11-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SatanHumpingYourFace
DO NOT QUOTE OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE.)
HEY!
SHUT THE **** UP. Learn to grammar, retard.
To the original poster, nice car man! A friend of mine had one of these a few years back. Thing had nice torque and was pretty comfortable on the inside.

Last edited by George Knighton; 01-11-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by SatanHumpingYourFace
Do not quote offensive language)
Did you make an account just to make that post?? haha...
anyways it's still been trouble free for me. thanks for the kind words slo96ex!

Last edited by George Knighton; 01-11-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Ford Contour SVT