Notices
Other Make Vehicles Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

The mission for a fun daily driver/commuter car

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The mission for a fun daily driver/commuter car

So I've been building Hondas for 2 decades now and decided its time for something different. I have a significant daily commute to work (55 miles one way all highway) that will soon change because our office is moving. Ill now have a 40 mile commute on 2 lane Pennsylvania mountain twisties with almost zero traffic to deal with. So naturally its time to find something a little more fun than my current 2015 accord to daily, when it isnt snowing of course.

I searched high and low, ended up finding a pretty killer deal 1400 miles away from me in Dallas. After some negotiation I was on a plane with a one way ticket flying Pittsburgh to Dallas to drive the car home. I spread the drive out over a mini-vacation that was rather therapeutic driving alone through open country in a sports car.

So here it is, 2000 Corvette fixed roof coupe, 6 speed manual for under $10k. Needs some work here and there but I bought it with the intention to make it a project car

Fixed some electrical gremlins,basic plugs, wires and some gaskets, bolted on a Z06 titanium exhaust, new shocks, 2 wheel bearings, sway bar bushings and end links and some new tires on Z06 wheels.

I've been pretty thrilled to say the least about driving this to work for the last month. Its surprisingly getting decent gas mileage too in the low-mid 20's which isnt too far off my Accord's MPG up and over the mountains.
Attached Images           
Old 10-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: The mission for a fun daily driver/commuter car

Awesome! I bet the drive back was fun, a road trip across half of the US.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Beautiful! Easily the best bang for the buck.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:50 PM
"patchy" - (New account)

Congrats on the purchase!

Any updates so far?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbolag11
Congrats on the purchase!

Any updates so far?
The car is packed away for winter now. I did buy a new set of seats and started the mock up and installation of them. But other than that this car will hibernate until spring under my deck
Attached Images   

Last edited by jlk16188; 01-25-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its been too cold to work on the car for the last month so this weekend the temps finally rose above freezing long enough to play with the car. The new seats are installed, I replaced the ricer intake with a more proper filter setup and I started gutting the dash to replace all of the blown out back lighting, replace the cassette player with a touch screen and a back up camera. Ill be waiting on some more warm weather to finish up the job
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Digging the seats
Old 01-25-2018, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tlikethedrink
Nice. Digging the seats
Thanks. These are knock offs of knock offs. They are cheap ones off Amazon ~$239 for the pair includes the vehicle specific mounts and sliders. They are knock offs of Braum/Cypher which are knock offs of Corbeau Sportline seats
I did have trouble with the mounts getting them to fit right and the manufacturer had holes predrilled in them for the sliders but they didnt match the hole pattern. I ended up welding the holes shut and redrilling them in the correct locations.

I didnt trust the cheap recliner mechanism and they didn't fit in the very tight and crammed cockpit of the corvette so I took off the recliner and made brackets to turn these seats into fixed back seats.

My father in law is an upholsterer so I will end up having him recover these seats when the pleather wears out with real leather and probably a different color and stitching design/pattern but for $200 these will work fine.

I recycled by stock seats and made a new office chair for my home office
Attached Images       
Old 01-25-2018, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The company I ordered them from off Amazon actually sent me the wrong seats. Since I was planning to reupholster them regardless it didnt matter but they did work with me and ended up giving me some money back. I originally ordered all black cloth seats with black stitching. Instead they sent me black PVC pleather with red stitching and silver harness inserts with fake carbon fiber on the backs. I ended up painting the harness inserts and ill run with the pleather for a while.

The seats themselves are actually very comfortable and supportive. I do really like them and for as cheap as I got them, the modifications it took was worth it in my mind.

Eventually Ill have them reupholstered in real leather and I'm thinking of a similar color in the pic to a dark burgundy or red wine color to contrast the 100% black interior
Attached Images      
Old 02-09-2018, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

new head unit, back up camera, arm rest upholstery, shifter and ebrake boots
Attached Images       
Old 03-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What head unit is that? How do you like it? All my chevys need stereo updates!

I'm a fan of the FRC, I was seriously close to picking up a c5 z06 to swap my motor into until I found out I'll probably grenade the driveline.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GIZZ - EXV
What head unit is that? How do you like it? All my chevys need stereo updates!

I'm a fan of the FRC, I was seriously close to picking up a c5 z06 to swap my motor into until I found out I'll probably grenade the driveline.
its a no name brand, cheapest $44 head unit off ebay
Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I was looking the super cheap direct fit navi units for nnbs tahoe application. I'm reading about guys sending 3 back before they get one that fully works. I wouldn't care if it was $44 but a little scared cuz the direct fit ones are at least $300.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GIZZ - EXV
I was looking the super cheap direct fit navi units for nnbs tahoe application. I'm reading about guys sending 3 back before they get one that fully works. I wouldn't care if it was $44 but a little scared cuz the direct fit ones are at least $300.
Mine worked 100% first time. I did bench test it before trying to install to prevent headaches but i have no issues with it