Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Honda Odyssey: Guess that Cable!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Honda Odyssey: Guess that Cable!

Hey Honda guys, now before we get anywhere further, I just want to say that I love you. I know that it's a bit fast in our developing relationship seeing how this is probably the first time we've meet but I feel a connection you know and I just have to say before I lose my gut.

Anyways straight to business. Me mums 2002 Honda Odyssey has a bit of a problem. A cable connecting to the engine, right next to the hoses is loose in a bad way. I have no idea what the hell it is (though it could be a throttle body cable) and I was hoping that you lovely people might know. here are some pics I snapped.

I circled it for easy viewing

Wide Shot
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Odyssey: Guess that Cable!

Looks like a temp switch.. probably for the fans, possibly for the ECU.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by SonnyBlk83
I think you're right, it would explain the rough engine running at only operating temps. Thanks. Im going to take it to Honda soon.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you may want to install a hose clamp as well.. ;-)
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SonnyBlk83
Thermo switch, for the radiator fans, but it runs through the ECU. Part number: 37760-P00-003

I think you're right, it would explain the rough engine running at only operating temps. Thanks. Im going to take it to Honda soon.
I'm not sure about that... there is a second temp sender located nearby which would provide temp data for the ECU and the gauge. This one just kicks as hot coolant hits it when the thermostat opens.
The only way I see them being related is if the radiator fans failed to come on due to the busted switch and caused the engine to overheat which could have resulted in damage --> rough running. Who knows.

Of course, if there is a lack of coolant, or if there is air in the system it could be that the temp sender is not reading accurately - that would mess with the ECU --> rough running. Now that could all happen because of a missing hose clamp....
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by wes wagon
Thermo switch, for the radiator fans, but it runs through the ECU. Part number: 37760-P00-003

I'm not sure about that... there is a second temp sender located nearby which would provide temp data for the ECU and the gauge. This one just kicks as hot coolant hits it when the thermostat opens.
The only way I see them being related is if the radiator fans failed to come on due to the busted switch and caused the engine to overheat which could have resulted in damage --> rough running. Who knows.

Of course, if there is a lack of coolant, or if there is air in the system it could be that the temp sender is not reading accurately - that would mess with the ECU --> rough running. Now that could all happen because of a missing hose clamp....
Ah thanks, The Honda is sent to a garage as we speak. If you guys are interested I'll let you guys know if anything develops