Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

My 1998 Odyssey 7 Hauler (Pretty MINT Find)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: My 1998 Odyssey 7 Hauler (Pretty MINT Find)

Originally Posted by Outrun
I was hoping you'd sell it...to me.

Post the progress of the swap. Is it Eversley that did the swap?
Haven't done a swap in it yet. The local guy who did his Odyssey, and offered to help me with mine is Adam Malley. A multi-time national champ in SCCA H-production in a 1200 Civic when that class was dominated by bug-eyed Sprites. He dominated them so badly that they restricted his TB to 12mm, added weight in his car, etc. He's an old school Honda tuner before it was ever cool.

The current debate: keep it on the cheap, go with a manual trans only, or go a bit overboard and go Euro-R with LSD tranny, etc. The budget difference is INSANE though, because the 5-speed can be done VERY cheaply as these 98-02 Accord trannys go for as little as $200.00 and the other parts are not expensive.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I missed out on another white 1998 for $2500. Everything stock and clean except for a front bar setup used for towing it behind an RV as this was owned by a retired couple. I found it on craigslist and was annoyed that he set up an appointment for me to see it only to text me an hour before saying he already sold it to someone else. :/
Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I haven't yet researched it but did these Odysseys also come as manuals in the US?
Old 11-29-2016, 04:29 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Outrun
I haven't yet researched it but did these Odysseys also come as manuals in the US?
No they were never offered in manual transmission in the U.S. I've not done all the research that defines every single part needed, but from what I've gathered a rough list of parts would be:

Manual transmission from F/H series
Axles from manual trans F/H series
Clutch for F/H series
Flywheel from manual F/H series
Pilot bearing for flywheel
Manual version of engine ECU (can be from Accord same year/OBD2A/B generation)
Shift cables/linkage
Shifter/****
Either a fabricated/custom topside trans mount, or drill out/weld on 5-speed frame mount and use stock topside H/F trans mount
*Not sure about rear mount
Cut hole in floor to allow for shifter install
Bypass shift interlock in column
*Clutch and brake pedals are something I need to research
*Fab up a custom center console/shifter boot console

From the initial prices I've gathered this swap could be done pretty cheaply if you go with a 98-02 Accord 5-speed tranny. I've seen the tranny for as little as $200.00, and donor cars are all over the place to scavenge the linkages, ECU, and other misc. parts. The labor depends on your own capabilities, and the fab work for the topside mount or bracket, the shifter, the pedals, etc.

I'm on the fence on how I'm going to execute this swap. On one hand I want to go cheap because the F23A7 runs well, and would likely be pretty peppy with a 5-speed. On the other hand I think "if the trans is coming out why not drop the entire subframe and drop an H22A or Accord Euro R swap in too?" It goes from a dirt cheap upgrade to easily four times that if you get a $2,800.00 Euro R swap, plus the fab and labor.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:05 AM
Former Moderator

Oops!

Forgot the bit about needing clutch master cylinder, and slave cylinder from H/F series. also would need to fab up some custom hard lines for the clutch from master to slave cylinder.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see another RA1 owner out there. Listen you got questions and we will help, Odyclub is pretty dead but you need to join the "RA1 Ody Owners" facebook group. Lots of H22 swap'd RA1's on there (Randall), 2-3 K-swap'd RA's (Demarcus) and a few V6 swapped RA's as well (Jose). Im Mac Man on FB FYI, and unlike forums man they will break their backs to help you out. I lost my K-swap RA1 shell to a house fire last year, had CD accord K mounts (hasport) installed and was wire tucking and brake line tucking when the fire ruined about 3 months of work while on vacation to DC. Thank god the engine/turbo stuff was still in my storage unit. I'll be looking for a shell again prolly in the spring. Hope we can help man.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can't wait to see this thing progress, I'm a fan of the odyssey as well, probably the only van I'll ever drive let alone buy. keep up the good work and pics coming!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also this 5-spd conversion kit from FFC (Fast Eddies) will take alot of the headache out of it. Wilwood is good stuff too. Again man any questions hit us up.

FER Performance shifter box kit - FatFour Customs

Old 01-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
So 100K miles later, one automatic trans swap later, and I've still got this thing. Did all the usual timing belt, water pump, seals, thermostat, rear main seal, etc. this time last year when the transmission swap was done. So the replacement transmission was a reman unit, and since I worked in the business long enough I knew I was borrowing time on it. It isn't bad yet, but has a slight flare in the third gear shift, and has never really pulled right when you first step on the gas.

So the next step is a manual/5-speed swap. A local Honda road racing legend who has a 1998 Odyssey recently did his manual swap, so I'll be enlisting his help on this project. I've been talking to the H/F tranny guru, Bense, and I'll probably pick up a custom-geared unit from him in January.

Meanwhile LOWERING SPRINGS ARE STILL IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. I found some RS-R down springs on Ebay, but they want $170.00 for the springs (that's great, actually) but $180.00 for shipping! ****!!!

Here's a pic of how it currently sits, on 2016 Civic LX 16'' steelies, and with trim-painted bumper guards to match the side moldings. Also did the front grille in trim paint to knock down the fake chrome look:

Them wheels make it look so clean
Old 01-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BC makes coilovers. I was doing some digging for my 94 Battlevan.
I have ebay springs/sleeves and the ride, she is rough. Bottoms out like crazy. Needs custom tophats methinks.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:25 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Grandhustleman86
Good to see another RA1 owner out there. Listen you got questions and we will help, Odyclub is pretty dead but you need to join the "RA1 Ody Owners" facebook group. Lots of H22 swap'd RA1's on there (Randall), 2-3 K-swap'd RA's (Demarcus) and a few V6 swapped RA's as well (Jose). Im Mac Man on FB FYI, and unlike forums man they will break their backs to help you out. I lost my K-swap RA1 shell to a house fire last year, had CD accord K mounts (hasport) installed and was wire tucking and brake line tucking when the fire ruined about 3 months of work while on vacation to DC. Thank god the engine/turbo stuff was still in my storage unit. I'll be looking for a shell again prolly in the spring. Hope we can help man.
I sent a request to join that FB group a while back - can you perhaps vouch for me to get me in? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad to see you're still waving the Honda flag after all these years
Old 03-26-2017, 04:52 AM
Former Moderator

I did some work to the 7 hauler recently. The blue top and manual swap will have to wait until my 90 Civic wagon's new set-up is finished, but in the meantime I lowered the Ody on impossible-to-find Tein S-Techs, tossed on 16'' 2016 Civic LX steelies/caps (brand new take-offs) and put an even rarer front lip on. Also trimmed the grille, and bumper guards in trim paint black.
Attached Images      
Old 03-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a van that clean sure makes you an easy guy to hate! If my wife would give up her Pilot, we would have a first gen Ody in a heartbeat! They seem to have gotten harder to find, and people are getting prouder of them it seems! Love the van, and mad jealous of you!
Old 03-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, now this is intersting! I have a new wagon myself, but it's way older and doesn't run right... yet...
Even though I have no children, I've always wanted an Odyssey!