Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

turbo kit on my crv worth it? and some good suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo kit on my crv worth it? and some good suspension

i dont want to spend more money to get a truck to pull my trailer w/my race car, so i was thinking if a small turbo kit, like a garrett 50trim on my 01 crv just to give it a little more hp to tow. ANY I DEAS ANYONE
Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo kit on my crv worth it? and some good suspension (projectef)

No and No.

If you did the both of those, it still wouldn't boost your towing capabilities...I mean it would, but it wont. Why?

Because many things go into consideration when governing the weight that can be towed. From the engine overheating, to chasis rigidity, suspension components, braking abilities, as well as acceleration. But the two biggest factors are GCVW, and lawyers...

Very much the same reason why the RDX's and the CR-V's towing capacities are the same, regardless of the engine. (1500lb)

What are you looking to tow? A proper turbo setup and tuning, could very well equal the cost of an early to mid 90's 3/4 ton. But take into consideration the stress on the car, and malfunctions/irregular wear on the CR-V. You may want to look into a used truck, trade/borrow one, or just rent one when you go to the race track.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 PM

thats what i figured. i minus well just get a truck. thanks for the info.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectef)

I mean i know you said you had no use for a truck otherwise, so maybe an astro van or something similar can help you make more use of the vehicle...My friend's mom tried pulling a wells cargo trailer with her kia sportage once...upgraded her tranny cooler and oil cooler so it would do well. Nope...the 4 bolts for the hitch to the chasis was torn out. Front ones first. She made a few hundred miles with it loaded (i don't remember what was in it exactly) fine, but it didn't mean the car was fine...i don't remember what they ended up doing, but looking at the specs of the sportage, it's 1500lbs as well, on the older models.

I know it's really hard to compromise, but it's something you have to do, or find another way to transport it. Good luck, let us know how you go about it.