Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Evaporator Core replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaporator Core replacement.

Ok, Service tech told my wife that depleted ac freon was due to a bad evap core.
Im very well mechanically inclined and have most every tool one could need in a home shop garage.
So what am I looking at for the replacement of this creature?
Thanks in advance for all of your insight.
Neil
Old 06-02-2016, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Evaporator Core replacement.

Well, you did not specify which vehicle & model year so I assume it is one of the vans or trucks. The easiest way is to put your vehicle info (year, model, trim, and whatever info you think is relevant for viewers) in your signature. That's way you don't need to re-state your vehicle's info everytime you post.

If evap core was leaking, you and yours should have smelled it in your car. It could be smelled for days. Have you/yours experienced that?

Here is a general info on how to go about replacing your evaporator core. I want to emphasize the word "general" here.

1. evacuate your AC system (sucking out freon from your vehicle) into a suitable container which is usually a freon cylinder. You will need to have and know how to operate an A/C manifold. Or you can hire a willing shop to evacuate it for you. There is another easiest way and cost free to do this, but I can't say it here just think and you figure it out.
2. Disconnect the hight pressure tube and low pressure tube from the firewall in the engine compartment side. Just trace the tubes and they both should disappear into the firewall. You will likely need to relocate a few things to gain access to it. You will need a new O-ring for each tube when reassemble if your vehicle still uses o-ring inside the tube. Be sure you get o-rings for AC system.
3. Go to the other side of the firewall which normally is the passenger side footwell and try to access and remove the evaporator assembly. Hence, the evap core is inside the assembly. You likely will need to remove the glovebox and many other stuff to access it. Consider yourself lucky if you don't need to remove your dashboard.
4. Once the evap assembly is out of the vehicle, you will need to open it up and access to the evap core. On some vehicles, you may be able to get the evap core out w/o first removing the evap assembly.
5. Replace the core and transfer its accessories over to the new core & add some A/C oil to the core before closing it up.
6. Reverse everything and close up the system

Optional step - i would replace the A/C drier also. But do it as the very last step when you put things back together.
7. Now hook up your AC mainfold and run the vacuum pump for a few hours to get all the moisture out of your system. Your system must be able to maintain the vacuum at certain level to check for leak.
8. Start up your car and turn your AC on High to fill up with freon.

That's it in a nutshell. You will know all about AC system in your vehicle once it is done. Don't expect to get it all done in one afternoon unless you're a real Pro. When I did my 1996 Honda Accord EX, it sat aside for a week. I was sort of taking my sweet time. A friend did help me with the vacuuming part & filling Freon.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Evaporator Core replacement.

Sorry Guys thought my sig line show necessary info on vehicle
2006 Odyssey 3.5 no rear ac system