Door-only-key used for ignition - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Door-only-key used for ignition

Old 08-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
New User

Default Door-only-key used for ignition

Hi there,

I have a door-only-key which my wife happened to use for ignition. Vehicle is Odyssey 2002.

Problem is key is stuck into the ignition switch and won't come out. I may turn it to ACCESSORY, ON, but it wouldn't START nor go to LOCK(0). So basically my car is unusable with that key being stuck in.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
honda314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Door-only-key used for ignition

Door only key, as in the plastic one you get from AutoClub?
Or door only key as in Valet (gray) key?

If it's the valet key (honda gray based) then it should come out without a problem. Only thing it won't work on is the glove box. But if it is, and it's still stuck, there's a problem with the ignition cylinder.

If it's an aftermarket "emergency" key, then you may have to end up removing the ignition and forcing it out.
Splaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
New User

It is a cheap metal key not a valet, doesn't have any plastic on it. The locksmith made it for $7 or something. He told me never to use it for ignition. Too bad I didn't tell my wife this.

I can't take it out even applying a bit of force. I afraid I can break the cylinder.

How do I remove the ignition? Shall this require any re-programming of the keys?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the ignition cylinder will need to be removed, and maybe replaced. I have never heard of this type of key being made, for the obvious reason that you have found as it not being worth it. Looks like a dealer call will be in your future. Sorry man.
www.megameet.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
New User

I solved it.

I called the locksmith that made the dummy key. He told me to cut the sides of the key head so the key can be fully inserted into ignition switch. And it worked as a charm. Apparently that door-only-key was a little bit shorter and it didn't allow to revert back to LOCK(0). Why it was shorter is out of my knowledge.

Cheers