Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2009 Honda Pilot VSA ABS error ground?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Honda Pilot VSA ABS error ground?

I have a 2009 Pilot. Basic History. Car was wrecked with a front end collision. I replaced all wiring harnesses and parts with genuine Honda Parts. The car sat up for a while. When wrecked it has 28,000 miles and now has just over 30,000 miles. Everything is running perfect except the VSA ABS lights and it feels as if the brakes apply lightly every now and then when I let off the accelerator (gas).

Battery is brand new as well as tires. The tire pressure on the display for all 4 tires registers as ok. 30Amp and 40 Amp fuses in under hood fuse box appear ok.

The right rear wheel sensor had the wires cut I believe while being loaded or unloaded on the tow truck. I was getting VSA/ABS and check tire pressure. I replaced the right wheel sensor and all went away but after about 5 mins of driving the VSA and ABS lights come on. Now every time I shut the car off the ABS AND VSA lights go away but come back on after about 5 mins of driving or less.

Here are the error codes Im getting when scanning with a mechanics scan tool.

15-13 Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Malfunction
61-01 Modulator - Control Unit Initial Ignition Low Voltage
83-13 ECM/PCM Relation Failure
84-21 VSA Sensor Neutral Position not writing

I have read that earlier model Pilot (2005) had service bulletin or recall about this issue due to a faulty ground on the passenger side kick panel.

I did notice that the body shop forgot to put a ground back on my car that was on the passenger side motor mount. Part# 32610-STX-A00 I am unsure if this has any relationship to the VSA ABS system but either way I have ordered a new one to put it back.

Can anyone tell me if that ground is affiliated with the VSA ABS system and where the ground that is affiliated with it is so I can check it to rule it out?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by cmb7684; 09-25-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:09 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 2009 Honda Pilot VSA ABS error ground?

Originally Posted by cmb7684
I have a 2009 Pilot. Basic story. Car was wrecked with a front end collision. I replaced all wiring harnesses and parts with genuine Honda Parts. The car sat up for a while. When wrecked it has 28,000 miles and now has just over 30,000 miles. Everything is running perfect except the VSA ABS lights and it feels as if the brakes apply lightly every now and then when I let off the accelerator (gas).

Battery is brand new as well as tires. The tire pressure on the display for all 4 tires registers as ok. 30Amp and 40 Amp fuses in under hood fuse box appear ok.

The right rear wheel sensor had the wires cut I believe while being loaded or unloaded on the tow truck. I was getting VSA/ABS and check tire pressure. I replaced the right wheel sensor and all went away but after about 5 mins of driving the VSA and ABS lights come on. Now every time I shut the car off the ABS AND VSA lights go away but come back on after about 5 mins of driving or less.

Here are the error codes Im getting when scanning with a mechanics scan tool.

15-13 Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Malfunction
61-01 Modulator - Control Unit Initial Ignition Low Voltage
83-13 ECM/PCM Relation Failure
84-21 VSA Sensor Neutral Position not writing

I have read that earlier model Pilot (2005) had service bulletin or recall about this issue due to a faulty ground on the passenger side kick panel.

I did notice that the body shop forgot to put a ground back on my car that was on the passenger side motor mount. Part# 32610-STX-A00 I am unsure if this has any relationship to the VSA ABS system but either way I have ordered a new one to put it back.

Can anyone tell me if that ground is affiliated with the VSA ABS system and where the ground that is affiliated with it is so I can check it to rule it out?

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Hello, have you figured out the issue relating to your problem? My car does the same thing with feeling like brakes are being applied slightly when i let my foot off the accelerator. I have a 2002 acura TLS that just got towed and now is doing the same exact thing. It didn't happen right away after I left but within a few days of leaving the repair shop. I did however get the airbag recall taken care of and when I left the acura shop that is where the problem occurred. Any ideas? The code I have is 83-1 ecm related failure. Ecm code P1519 iacv circuit failure.
Shop says that it is from the car idling too high, I think it sounds fishy. Any help would be appreciated. Thx
Old 01-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2009 Honda Pilot VSA ABS error ground?

I know most forums frown upon bumping old threads. If that is the case here I do apologize. I figured regardless of how old my thread is when I have finally found the answer I should post back to follow up for others that have the same question or problem.

To respond directly to Michael Hinchey, in looking for answers to my car I did come across several that appears related to yours. While there were varying reasons the correction on an older car from 2002 seemed to be different from the method I used to correct my 2009 Pilot. A good search of Honda Acura VSA ABS light errors should lead you to some specific answers or troubleshooting methods if you havent yet fixed it.

What I found was many of my codes were related to a bad battery. The battery was only a year old with mild corrosion on the terminals when I cleaned them before cold weather headed my way. As soon as the cold weather hit the battery wouldnt start the car and tested bad. There were no warning signs of a weak battery prior to this. That explained the low power supply I was getting which can give all sort of false error codes. I cleared all codes and drove around. After exceeding 20 or 30 mph and traveling less than 500 ft. the ABS / VSA lights returned. I scanned again with my scan tool after driving around for a few days and the only code that came back was the 84-21 VSA Sensor Neutral Position not writing. In the meantime I had replaced the right front and rear wheel speed sensors due to both having cut wires on the sensor side.

I decided to go with it since the car has been running a good bit and any error codes should show have up by now. I did a rescan for error codes of the ABS system. I still received only the 84-21 VSA Sensor Neutral Position not writing code as the only code. I guess this will be a good time to put the disclaimer that I have no idea what I am doing with cars and I am not a mechanic. This method described worked for me to get rid of the ABS VSA lights. I cannot even say for sure either of the systems are operating properly and that this is the proper fix or correct way to fix your vehicle.

With that said. I went into the menu on my scan tool that allows me to make adjustments. I am using a Snap On Modis 10.2 software. As it walks through the warnings it tells you that you are adjusting the wheel speed sensors. While I don't know for sure, it gives the impression that you are supposed to sync the sensors to the car as it walks you through. It also tells you not to do it unless certain conditions are met such as you changed out a faulty ABS part such as a wheel speed sensor or other components. it also says the only stored code should be the 84-1 error code but it isnt clear if it must be there from the walk through on the scanner. I went back into the menu and cleared the 84-21 code as it was the only error code I had and I know it doesnt want it there bc it said clear all codes that are not the 84-1 code. I decided that I would clear the code and even though 84-1 was not an error code that I had that I would follow the process for it to adjust the sensors anyway since I had changed out the two senors and never used a scanner to sync them to the car as it appeared from the walk through is necessary. I assumed when changing the wheel speed sensors and that they would essentially adjust or sync to the car and clear the code on their own and turn the error lights off. I disconnected the battery trying to accomplish that more times than I care to count and it didnt work. I assume as most sensors they identify themselves to the cars elec system and like most sensors do make the light go away that the bad sensor had set off. What was different was that even after clearing all codes before this code always returned. So its not just a matter of clearing the code but also appears to be that you have to have a tool that will sync the sensors to the car before it will go away for good.

The scanner tells you to park the car on level ground with wheels straight ahead and start the process. You confirm Yes when it is on level ground and it takes about 30 seconds for the scanner to automatically make the sensor adjustment. We have been driving the car all day and making hard turns and have reached 75mph and with no ABS / VSA or any other error lights coming on. It appears this worked for me. Prior to this when we reached 20 to 30 mph and after traveling just 500 feet or less the error light would appear after clearing all codes with the scanner.

Now, I do not know if this somehow get the lights to go away with the system still not working properly but I assume that is not the case.

The body shop tinkered with this and couldn't figure it out and suggested I change the ABS module that ran several hundred dollars on its own. I am guessing I would be out over a grand after programming and labor had I followed their instructions.