Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2003 Odyssey Ignition Tumblers Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Odyssey Ignition Tumblers Stuck

Yes, I had to remove the shear bolts. They were not hard to remove and replace. They are not very tight and a punch was quite effective to break them loose.

I found the pins were not just dirty, they were worn. I had tried earlier to lubricate them with graphite. Since removing the pins, I have had zero issues.

Since you have experience taking apart locks, you will find there is no big surprises here. One roll pin to tap out with a punch and the rest is cake.

Good luck,
Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just fixed both my door and ignition this past weekend in my pilot for free.

follow the many write-ups online on pulling out the ingition. once out remove all the electrical stuff. this is were most writeups stop....luckly i found a locksmith who helped me out over the phone on a holiday weekend. there is a little black hollow rolled steel pin....you have to work that out oncei got a tiny but up i useda pair of fresh wire snips that pulled it right out. then on the backside the is another rolled pin, i used needle nose plyers to push it flush through the hole and then a knife to push it out enough to grab it with the wire snips.....then you can carfully remove the cylinder. (insert the key to remove) when you pull it out you can clearly see which wafers are not sitting flush....i pulled those sets of wafers out.

same process for the door, the biggest issue with that was a hidden clip inbetween the door skin and lock unit that is completely hidden from view.

my door and ignition now only have 3 sets or 6 total wafers....easier to pick maybe, but it has an imobilizer which is the hard one to get around anyways...total time for my firat time doing it was 3 hours....almost 2 hours on figuring out the door.

edit: dont forget the mini little springs...i used the wifes tweezers
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Trial User

I was told by Honda that there is a re-call coming out in Feb about this...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Trial User

http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-...006-acura-mdx/

Good news for people looking here now (sorry if you just dropped a bunch of cash on a new ig switch). Due to the issue that you can pull the key out when in gear (true on my ody), they issued this recall last month. Thanks for the tips, but I'm taking the easy out

GBY
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These honda keyways are crap. It's a combination of the key and the wafers wearing out to the point that the wafers no longer ride on the key edge, but fall down beside it. Happens in the doors and the ignitions. A good locksmith can repin the locks to work again. I charge about $85 for the door, $200 for the ignition. I recommend a fresh key to be cut too as a worn key will wear out the new wafers faster. New key will also need to be programmed.

That recall is for an ignition interlock issue(this is not the same issue that causes the key not to turn). I'm not convinced that they will replace the whole ignition lock, and if they do i'll bet they don't pin it up to match the doors.....

How did that recall work out for you?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Trial User

I checked on the new recall (Feb 2013 - Ignition Switch Interlock Recall) and the dealer indicated that the replaced parts due to recall DOES NOT include the key cylinder. They quoted me $432 to replace, leaving me with a different set of keys for the ignition. Not having that kind of money these days, I followed the suggestions in this post and was able to get back up and running. I used the hole punch and hammer method to remove the sheer bolts in less than a minute. The hardest part was removing the roll pin holding the cylinder in place. I ended up using a small Torx T-4 bit - inserted in roll pin and pried a little while pulling and it popped out. I then removed and discarded the worn tumblers/wafers (left about half in place that still worked) and reassembled. THANKS EVERYONE for the suggestions. Saved me a bunch of $$$
Old 03-31-2013, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stbengtzen
I checked on the new recall (Feb 2013 - Ignition Switch Interlock Recall) and the dealer indicated that the replaced parts due to recall DOES NOT include the key cylinder. They quoted me $432 to replace, leaving me with a different set of keys for the ignition. Not having that kind of money these days, I followed the suggestions in this post and was able to get back up and running. I used the hole punch and hammer method to remove the sheer bolts in less than a minute. The hardest part was removing the roll pin holding the cylinder in place. I ended up using a small Torx T-4 bit - inserted in roll pin and pried a little while pulling and it popped out. I then removed and discarded the worn tumblers/wafers (left about half in place that still worked) and reassembled. THANKS EVERYONE for the suggestions. Saved me a bunch of $$$
Glad you worked around the problem.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Trial User

I was fortunate enough to find that the snapoff bolts had not been "snapped off" makeing removale of my switch simple,,,what I done for nessecaty sake, and emergencies till i could replace mine was remove the ignition switch, remove the black cap off the end with the thick wires on it, useinf a screwdriver u can turn the *** inside the black cap, leaving the key in the switch so the computor will work.....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by JGGiant
I would like to give a big thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion.

This thread saved me a TON of money. To get by even cheaper, I pulled the cylinder out and removed all of the "pins." Now ANY key will turn the switch, but only the right one will start the car. Total cost $0.

I know it is not ideal, but I can live with it to save all the money and headache of programming new keys.
I'm having a problem with both keys won't turn I have spent hours just going between both keys lucky for me I'm parked in front of my house my husband wants to try and fix the problem we really can't afford the dealership prices I want him to try removing the pins do you have a video showing the process cause this seems to be the easiest and most affordable method
Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: 2003 Odyssey Ignition Tumblers Stuck

Thx for this all the useful posts here. The key on my 2003 Honda Odyssey won't turn anymore and I want to just get the ignition cylinder out and take out defective tumblers (like some members suggested) without replacing the whole ignition assembly. I want to know whether it is possible to take just the cylinder out without taking off the security bolts on the ignition assembly and dropping it? Dropping the whole assembly seems an overkill for what I am trying to do.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 AM
Trial User

After being stranded last night with cold weather coming on i was lucky enough to find this forum and get the van running. My ignition switch is hanging and i am using a screwdriver to start the van. What i need to do now is remove tumblers so my key will work. I have a valet key and a normal key both of which quit working in the ignition. How do i get to the tumblers?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by demmerm
After being stranded last night with cold weather coming on i was lucky enough to find this forum and get the van running. My ignition switch is hanging and i am using a screwdriver to start the van. What i need to do now is remove tumblers so my key will work. I have a valet key and a normal key both of which quit working in the ignition. How do i get to the tumblers?
I found a video:

I done this myself about 2 years ago and have been running pin free since then with no problems in my Odyssey. I have removed pin on Cavalier, Dodge Dakota and an Odyseey. Remember, Google is your friend .
Have a blessed day!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some vehicles, you can hide the old key maybe within the steering column cover so its very near the Receiver and your new key will not need to be reprogrammed, I have seen people cut the handle part of the old key and glue it to the new key so the old Transmitter chip is kind of part of the new key now.
I tried every possible permutation of placing an old key near the immobilizer and nothing worked. You must have the correct transponder in the correct orientation within the immobilizer field for the system to work. In other words, cut an old transponder out of an old key and place it in the same position within a new key.....or just get your new key reprogrammed at a locksmith if the dealership wants your kidney in exchange.

We got the override code in and we can ignite now, however the engine when it does start will only run for 2 seconds at the most and then turn off immediately. Very strange. Is this some secondary security feature at play here? Could this behavior has something to do with the fact that the battery was run dead during the replacement of the ignition/combo-switch?
Your immobilizer is simply doing it's job: cutting fuel flow to the engine. This means your code input is incorrect, or the dealership is feeding you nonsense. Go to a locksmith and get that new key reprogrammed.

I was able to get it in once or twice and it did turn but putting the old key next to it, I was not able to start the car. Think everyone now agrees the lock set needs to be replaced.
The lubricant in your lock could simply be gummed up and needs to be loosened with an approved lockset grease solvent. You can find that anywhere....but it absolutely has to be lock-set specific cleaning agent.

The one thing I did not have was a Dremel, and didn't wan't to have to go buy one, so I kept researching... A great way to remove the 'shear' bolts that I found was a hammer and an awl. The bolts are not made of the strongest metal and the awl will pierce them. A few taps on the hammer and the bolts spun right up.
The Honda manual specifically recommends center punching the heads and drilling them off. I wouldn't go banging around on anything that close to the airbag mechanism. For those considering replacement of some part of the ignition assembly, I've written up an illustrated guide to the entire process using useful info found around the webs, here: Replace Ignition Assembly on a 2000 Honda Odyssey