Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2003 Odyssey Cooling fan/condenser fan issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Odyssey Cooling fan/condenser fan issues.

So hopefully someone can help me out.

i have searched for hours and hours looking for an answer, and still haven't figured anything out.

on my 2003 odyssey everything seems normal, i thought it was kind of weird i never really heard the cooling fans kicking on, but on very hot days the radiator fan does(i assume its high/off, no low, since that what it does) and it takes a while, the temp gauge never goes over a little under halfway, however when i run the A/C neither fan come on,

when driving, the A/c works nice, really cold. less airflow(speed) more warm, sit at a stop light, the compressor will shut off after a minute or so and kicks back on a several minutes after driving again (highway speed) so i think it is flipping the high pressure switch and disabling the compressor to prevent damage. i have checked the under dash fuse, all the relays, and fuses under the hood. as well as the motors themselves.

I do want to add something though: when i was inspecting the car to verify the compressor was off(from the fans not working), it took 10 minutes (maybe longer) for it to come back on after sitting in my driveway for a couple minutes with the fans off. the fans come on immediately with the compressor this happened ONCE. i have been checking it for days before and after, and could not duplicate this, they wont come on again! if i rev the engine up for a while (2kish) after its warmed up the cooling fan/driver side (not condenser/passenger) comes on and works only on the high speed. i have about 6 relays that are the same part number i moved around, one being the power windows, and lights relay. switching with those did nothing different, all fuses good, car doesn't overheat.

If someone could please point me in the right direction, i would greatly appreciate the help. thank you.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Odyssey Cooling fan/condenser fan issues.

Probably you have a compressor issue (refrigerant leak perhaps). Do you notice any weakness of air conditioning (not cool enough) ?