Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2003 CRV variable timing control question

Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 CRV variable timing control question

Hello,
I just found this site and I'm looking for a little help with my wife's 2003 CRV.
About a month ago, the check engine light came on, so I took it to Autozone to have run the error codes. It came back with DTC P0341, for the variable valve timing control (VTC) phase gap.
So, I ran it over to a local Honda dealer, who told me the same thing. The wanted $300 to replace the VTC solenoid, but I have a source in the parts business. So I asked the service tech what exactly needed to be done, and he told me that they would replace the VTC solenoid and clear the code. So, I paid them their diagnostics fee and thanked them for telling me what needed replaced, and went out and bought a genuine Honda VTC solenoid.
I also decided to grab an OBD-II scan tool to reset the MIL after I replaced the part. I then replaced the solenoid and ran the scanner to turn off the check engine light.
After I finished, my wife drove the car and on the return trip, the check engine light pops on. This is after approx. 20 minutes of driving. So, I scan the errors and it's P0341 again. I went ahead and cleared the code, but on her next trip, the same thing happens.
So, now I'm stuck. I'm not too happy with the Honda tech, because had I paid them to replace the part, it would not have fixed it. Unless I'm missing something that should have been done with either the VTC installation, or with the ECM/PCM.
I found an Acura TSB for the P0341 error, and it lists the repair procedure. Steps 5 and 6 say that the ECM/PCM software needs to be updated? If this is the case, do I need to take this back to Honda to run this? Or, could my worst nightmare be that their is something wrong with the cams, timing chain, tensioner, or timing gears?
Sorry for the long first post. I would really appreciate any help from anybody that may have had this happen to them, and what they did to correct it.
Thank You,
Steve Smith
Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to replace the VTC actuator AND update the ECU (better done at the dealership as it involves removing the intake manifold, and it can easily be screwed up)
Old 11-18-2008, 05:11 AM

Ross,
The VTC Solenoid that I replaced is on the passenger side of the engine, secured by one 8 or 10mm bolt. It wasn't under the intake manifold. I think the VTEC spool valve is under the intake, is that what you are talking about? If so, it also has a filter that can be serviced, do you think it could be the culprit?
Thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 11-18-2008, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here are some of the steps you could take...

DTC P0341: VTC Phase Gap

Reset the ECM/PCM.

Start the engine.

Is DTC P0341 indicated? YES - Go to step 3.

NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at CMP sensor A and at the ECM/PCM.■

Check the VTC oil control solenoid valve.

Is the VTC oil control solenoid valve OK? YES - Go to step 4.

NO - Clean the VTC oil control solenoid valve, or replace it.■

Remove the head cover, and check the cam chain.

Is the cam chain OK? YES - Go to step 5.

NO - Replace the cam chain.■

Check the VTC actuator.

Is the VTC actuator OK? YES - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, replace the original ECM/PCM.■

NO - Replace the VTC actuator.■

this is how you check the actuator...if you have the proper tools...
Remove the cam chain.

Loosen the rocker arm adjusting screws.

Remove the camshaft holder.

Remove the intake camshaft.

Check that the variable valve timing control (VTC) actuator is locked by turning the VTC actuator clockwise and counterclockwise. If the VTC actuator is not locked, replace the VTC actuator.

Seal the advance holes (A) and retard holes (B) in the No. 1 camshaft journal with tape.

Punch a hole in the tape over one of the advance holes.

this is our troubleshooting guide directly from Honda. good luck and hope this helps...
Old 03-27-2015, 06:46 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 2003 CRV variable timing control question

Hi,

I had a similar issue where my 2002 honda crv timing chain broke. The mechanic replaced the timing chain, tension, vtc actuator...etc. He did a compression test and said the engine was fine. 500 miles later a valve seat fell into engine and 3/4 pistons do not work and I need a new engine! How is this possible...did the mechanic forget to check something or do something? Even though compression test was fine could there have been damage in the cylinders or valves not detected?

Originally Posted by quickhondaz
here are some of the steps you could take...

DTC P0341: VTC Phase Gap

Reset the ECM/PCM.

Start the engine.

Is DTC P0341 indicated? YES - Go to step 3.

NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at CMP sensor A and at the ECM/PCM.■

Check the VTC oil control solenoid valve.

Is the VTC oil control solenoid valve OK? YES - Go to step 4.

NO - Clean the VTC oil control solenoid valve, or replace it.■

Remove the head cover, and check the cam chain.

Is the cam chain OK? YES - Go to step 5.

NO - Replace the cam chain.■

Check the VTC actuator.

Is the VTC actuator OK? YES - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, replace the original ECM/PCM.■

NO - Replace the VTC actuator.■

this is how you check the actuator...if you have the proper tools...
Remove the cam chain.

Loosen the rocker arm adjusting screws.

Remove the camshaft holder.

Remove the intake camshaft.

Check that the variable valve timing control (VTC) actuator is locked by turning the VTC actuator clockwise and counterclockwise. If the VTC actuator is not locked, replace the VTC actuator.

Seal the advance holes (A) and retard holes (B) in the No. 1 camshaft journal with tape.

Punch a hole in the tape over one of the advance holes.

this is our troubleshooting guide directly from Honda. good luck and hope this helps...
Old 04-28-2015, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 2003 CRV variable timing control question

so this code generally sets when you have a stretched chain. easiest method for checking this is to remove the little black timing tensioner cover located next to the crank pulley. You will have to remove the 2 panel clips and pull back the cover to gain access on the passenger side. after you remove this cover, measure the cam chain tensioner rod length, it should no more than 13.5mm or slightly over a half inch. I actually had one of these on an 08 si just yesterday, same code but car wouldn't start. found the tensioner was out about 23 mm and the chain was so stretched the exhaust cam was a whole tooth advanced.