Notices

shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem

what are some good places to bore and hone a ls block in vancouver or salem area, and how much does it generaly cost?

and how about balancing a crank/polish
Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem (FullRaceHonda)

Give Tabor's Automotive machine a call. They're in Vancouver. I had them do all the machine work on my motor. If i remember correctly, Boring and honing is $18 per cylinder. They do good work.

crank polish i dont remember. i'm at school right now. i can look when i get home.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem (viet_boi_racin)

yeah, tabors does good work. I have some connecting rods there right now getting resized, and they did all the machining on my new motor.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem (MatHadder)

eastco machining is top notch stuff, they also just got an engine dyno
Old 04-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem (redboost10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redboost10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eastco machining is top notch stuff, they also just got an engine dyno</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll let Jeff from RRev (Universal Magnetic) chime in on this one!! he has an unpleasant experience with them.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem (MatHadder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MatHadder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, tabors does good work. I have some connecting rods there right now getting resized, and they did all the machining on my new motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much is all that setting you back? your assembling it right?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viet_boi_racin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll let Jeff from RRev (Universal Magnetic) chime in on this one!! he has an unpleasant experience with them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im familiar with that one. you gotta hear both sides though
Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tabors gets my vote.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem (WillieWillieFast)

well i will probably just go to tabors then, its by the clark county courthouse? of like main street/franklin area?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FullRaceHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how much is all that setting you back? your assembling it right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I only had three or four hundred in machine work, although I just had them bore and hone the block, spec bearings, resize the rods, and skim the block. They micropolished the crank for free, and all their work looks really nice.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

701 W 11th Street just south of the court house and jail
Old 04-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Tabors gets my vote never heard of any thing bad, only had good experiences my self
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much is it to resurface a b16 head at tabors? and how about installing 2 new valve guides?
sorry to thread jack but id call if i wasnt at work and i dont think they are open on saturdays :/
Old 04-21-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (preludedriva)

you blew up your h22 wtf? what happend you were runnin barly any booost
Old 04-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shop to bore/hone in vancouver or salem (redboost10)

Originally Posted by redboost10

im familiar with that one. you gotta hear both sides though
As some of you know, I used to work at torquefreaks, while I was working there Eastco was our main machine shop. Eastco Machine shop does phenomenal work on V8's (GM, Ford, yada yada). Craig is an awesome guy as well as owner however the OTHER workers who were working there (not sure if they're working there anymore?) ARE COMPLETE IDIOTS!!!

1st SCREW UP...

We had a simple high compression B20 Build, Eagle rods, Wiseco Pistons, the works. Eastco finished building/assembling block in a reasonable amount of time. I picked the motor up and didn't even think to check the block because they are a machine shop, that's what they do. When I got back to the shop and unloaded the shortblock I noticed something funny about the pistons. Upon further inspection the pistons ended up being installed backwards (Intake valve reliefs are bigger than exhaust valve reliefs) I don't know how that was possible WTF? So back to the machine shop with the block and got it fixed the same day free of charge.

2nd SCREW UP...

Simple supra build. Rods, pistons, the works. This time we also bring the head down to them to get springs, retainers and .5mm OS IN/EX valves for them to install. We get the block and head back in 3 weeks and everything is seems to look OK. Pistons are installed right, head looks awesome. We get the motor all assmebled and installed in the car. Turbo system installed, fluids full, everything is ready for 1st start up. We go to start the car and it cranks like it has ZERO compression. Sure enough compression tested 90 psi on all 6 cylinders. Leak down showed almost 60% leak on all 6 cyl. Leaking out the exhaust valves!!! Cam and crank timing are correct, timing belt is installed properly. Valve clearance is checked 3 times to make sure it's within spec. We eventually pull the head off and send it back to eastco to check the head. THEY GRINDED THE EXHAUST VALVE SEATS TOO MUCH. They fix it free of charge. We end up eating all the labor to pull and re-install the head. Customer is pissed and thinks we're complete idiots, what can I say? The customer is always right. We originally asked for them to pressure check the head after the valve job and it looks like they checked it when the head came back !

3rd Screw up. Which is what made me go elsewhere for machine work.

My broke-*** 94 civic coupe had a 9:1 compression 2.1l LS/VTEC turbo motor that made decent power and lasted almost 2 years on constant abuse finally started getting tired. So i decided to build a B16 turbo motor. I ended up going with a 81mm GE sleeved B16 and had eastco intall eagle rods and fit 81.25mm wiseco pistons. The 1st 2 screw ups occured almost 8 months before I decided to use eastco again for my own motor. Just when I thought everything was okay!!! WRONG!!! When i got my block back I inspected the cylinder walls and noticed deep scratches on all 4 cylinder walls that you could see and feel with your finger nail. I brought the motor back to eastco. While I was there I asked to talk with craig but "THE GUY" said that craig was gone for the day. I asked "THE GUY" to look at my cylinder walls and he gladly did. He was one of the machinists there and he told me," The light for the boring machine wasn't working properly so he couldn't see that well. " He later then said," Something must have gotten trapped on the boring bar and gouged the cylinder". I then FREAKED THE expletive OUT and demanded that craig come down to the shop! Craig couldn't make it so I was forced to wait until the next day. Long story short, Craig fixed the scratches but now the piston to cylinder wall clearance was on the LOOSE side of wiseco's recommendations for the amount to boost that i was going to run. Craig ended up refunding me $550 to buy a new set of pistons and gave me the block back all disassembled.

I ended up getting the motor up and running on a new set of pistons and made 493whp and 260wtq on 23psi on pump. Then later blew the motor up big time because my Wastgate line popped of while a drag racing and boost spiked to 35psi!!!

What ended up learning after all this **** is. Eastco is great machine shop for domestic V8's and NOT for ANY IMPORTS!!! AND PUT A BOOST CUT in your ECU

Please take all your machine work to Tabor's Automotive Machine in downtown vancouver. Tack to Richard or Andy and tell them Jeff from RREV sent you. You won't regret it.