Notices
Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

WA state VIN state patrol inspection questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WA state VIN state patrol inspection questions

I have recently rebuilt a car.. was wondering what they check for and what they might fail me for.. A friend of mine donated the rear seats to me. they are gsr leathers and don't match the car really. I have all the paperwork for the rest because I parted out an 00 si coupe for it.. the rear seats didn't fit so I'm wondering if I need to buy them and get reciepts... leave your opinions at the door please I need some "for sure" advice.. I've asked a lot of people and got a lot of maybes, I thinks, and I'm pretty sures.. thanks in advance

[EDIT: MAR, 25 2009]

update: okay, so I just made my appointment for april 7th. the guy I spoke with on the phone made it seem like I wont pass my first time around.. the reason being: the way that i bought it. i bought the 2000 civic si coupe (rebuilt title) from my friend.. he didnt go into detail about why, he just told me to bring all my paperwork and stuff to the appointment so they could tell me what i need to do to pass.. so here's what I'm wondering.. what are all the documents that i need to pass on my first try?? I have the bill of sale which my friend wrote me (which needs to be notarized apparently), and I also have a "vehicle report of sale reciept" document. I just got a "vehicle ceritificate of ownership (title) application" off the web which also needs to be notarized. So if I send the title with the title transfer app, how long will it take for me to get it back? I am afraid that I wont get it back in time for the inspection date. Do I need to do emissions test before going to do the vin inspection? Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. thanks

Last edited by chapagetti; 03-25-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: WA state VIN state patrol inspection questions

If you don't have paperwork for the parts you bought, just say they were on the car when you bought it.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about a bolt in cage?... haha I still need to take my hatch through inspection ever since my front end collision. It was totaled by my insurance and I kept it. The cage is still in it and if I can save time I rather not take it out. Figured they would just check the Front end and SRS but knowing Tacoma, they do more than what theyre suppose to haha
Old 03-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Evs-One
If you don't have paperwork for the parts you bought, just say they were on the car when you bought it.
dont think it will fly... these people look at these rebuilt cars all day long.. i would think that they would notice some nice gsr leather seats.. cant say they were in a car that was stripped down to nothing pretty much.. i am buying some rear seats from the junkyard this weekend. i guess thats the only way?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAbrothers
What about a bolt in cage?... haha I still need to take my hatch through inspection ever since my front end collision. It was totaled by my insurance and I kept it. The cage is still in it and if I can save time I rather not take it out. Figured they would just check the Front end and SRS but knowing Tacoma, they do more than what theyre suppose to haha
i dont think the roll cage will fly either. i think it has to do with the fact that they sorta want you to rebuild the car the way it was meant to be.. meaning, if the car is a 4 seater, it needs to have 4 seats.. seat belts.. if the passenger side of the make and model of the car you are building was made with an air bag, that also needs to be in there.. with reciepts. more than anything these are my thoughts so if you take a roll cage through the inspection and you pass.. please lmk so i can do the same ^^
Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took my hatch to BREMERTON to run it through state patrol and i went there with a cracked ignition, 96-96 civic front seats, no rear interior, no door panels, no rear panels, blue mirrors, and a primered passenger door that i got from my home boy! I get there 2 hours late because i got lost but when i got there the ONLY QUESTION THE OLD GUY ASKED ME WAS "Where did your passenger side door come from?!" because the inside part of the door was grey but my car was like five colors when i took it there! I said it was already on the car when i got it. And i handed him all my receipts that i had for my car and a half an hour later i was gone with ONLY ! QUESTION ASKED! The 112th street state patrol are ****in dicks and ask to many damn questions. You should of gone out to BREMERTON they were pretty chill! If i were you i would just take out the rear leather seats and just rock front seats. If they ask why there are no rear seats(they shouldn't) just say you have not found any at the junk yard! Other than that you should be good to go lol its not rocket science. Just have head lights, corner lights, tail lights, and have your brake lights work and seat belts! And make sure you have paper work for all the stuff you replaced!!

ok if you have a roll cage in your car and you run it through state patrol you will still pass. The roll cage has nothing to do with the car not being able to pass the inspection! When your car was totalled out by your insurance, on your vehicle history it will show that you got in a front end wreck SO THATS THE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO FIX! And YOU NOT HAVING AN AIRBAG WONT MATTER EITHER! They dont know that your car came with an AIRBAG or NOT!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Word, I even have my Bride seats and etc. too.. haha Ill give it a try because it's way too much work to take apart the cage and seats. Actually, I'll just try stocks seats with the cage in.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chapagetti
i dont think the roll cage will fly either. i think it has to do with the fact that they sorta want you to rebuild the car the way it was meant to be.. meaning, if the car is a 4 seater, it needs to have 4 seats.. seat belts.. if the passenger side of the make and model of the car you are building was made with an air bag, that also needs to be in there.. with reciepts. more than anything these are my thoughts so if you take a roll cage through the inspection and you pass.. please lmk so i can do the same ^^
Well, its not a car I just bought from w/ no title or anything but just had it totaled from a front end collision. I figured what the previous post have said that they should only check the front end and that's it. The car sits the same before the collision just a new front bumper, lights, and core support.. oh yea and hood w/ all the receipts.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wa is getting bad like cali i see.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm.norcal
wa is getting bad like cali i see.
yeah, it seems that way.. apparently they are less strict in other areas of washington tho. I hear Bellevue is bad.. I cancelled my appointment there.. LOL
Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 AM

Cali's Governor and our Re-Elected Gov are too good of friends. Thats why i was pist the same person won again. but oh well... WA gov said that he wanted to enforce stricter laws like Cali to influence the rest of the western states. OR hardly has any emissions regulations or strict laws and they have the lowest rate of Accidents, vehicular deaths, or dui's in the western hemisphere! if you dont give us a reason to break laws and let us enjoy ourselves the world would be a little more enjoyable and safer i think. G/L with the inspection...bremerton is hella laid back.

i live in silverdale and my boy raced some impreza and he blew by a BPO and he didnt even pull them over. lol...i was like WTF!?...but unless you reck i havent seen anyone get pulled over.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm i think if i ever do State patrol inspection, i'm going to bremerton.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my old DA I was pulled over with a cage in the car. Only one time did the cop say something about it. He asked if my insurance knew I had it in there. I said "Nope" and he said he highly doubted they would insure me with it in the car, but did say it wasn't illegal to have in the vehicle.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got my inspection done on my 00 si today. Was hit before. If you can, go to the bremerton state patrol. The old dude doing the inspections there is the best. Doesnt really care about much. My car has a jdm b16a swap. I didnt give him any reciepts for it cuz it was in the car when i got it but he checked it out and said nothing. he deals with the stuff all day every day and is the coolest old dude ever.....tacoma checks for srs FOR SURE. They check all vins FOR SURE. They check what parts need reciepts FOR SURE. Tacoma sucks. Id rather go the extra 30 min drive and have a guarenteed pass...
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just made an appointment at marysville. I'll let you guys know how it goes. April 10th is the date, wish me luck guys
Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck man. I haven't heard of any inspections done at Marysville, but I know the cops there are ******** too.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by chapagetti
I just made an appointment at marysville. I'll let you guys know how it goes. April 10th is the date, wish me luck guys
Marysville is a piece of cake...

make sure you have Receipts if you replaced these:
RCW 46.80.010 (5) defines major component parts to include at least each of the following: 1) Engines and short blocks, 2) Frame, 3) Transmission and/or transfer case, 4) Cab, 5) Door, 6) Front or rear differential, 7) Front or rear clip, 8) Quarter panel, 9) Truck bed or box, 10) Seat, 11) Hood, 12) Bumper, 13) Fender, and 14) Airbag.

What information is needed at the time of the vehicle inspection?
When arriving for your inspection, be prepared to present the following information:

Picture I.D.; current registration, title or Notarized Bill of Sale, and/or copy of title sent to insurance company.
The letter from the Department of Licensing (DOL) indicating why you need the appointment (or knowledge it is in the DOL computer file).
Receipts for all major component parts. Receipts for major component parts purchased via the internet and/or e-bay will not be accepted as original receipts. Be sure receipts are legible and include the invoice date, invoice number, business address, and stock number or VIN used as parts donor vehicle.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you still need the receipts for the parts before the insurance totaled your vehicle? Or just the parts that has been replace and/or where the collision happened?

I'll just go to Bremerton...
Old 04-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Reciepts only needed for parts after insurance totalled it. Nothing needed for before. As long as in the pics the part is there no recipt is needed. Sometimes you can get away with the same part. Let's say your fender is bent. You buy a new one with no recipt you can get away saying u fixed the old one. It has to match tho.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Is that guy still up in Bremerton? Has anyone gone through Vancouver?