Notices
Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

Moving from Eugene to Portland. *Input needed*

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving from Eugene to Portland. *Input needed*

So heres the deal I have a house down here in Eugene and love the area, however my career and my girl's career would greatly benefit from moving to a bigger city. So my plan is to put my house on the market this coming april and hopefully move to portland before the following september.

My question for you guys is what parts of portland do you recommend and why? My price range is $170,000-$210,000 looking for a townhouse style condo with a garage or maybe a small house.

any help from you portlandians would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Moving from Eugene to Portland. *Input needed*

North, North East or South East. Safe areas for the most part, cool stuff to do, basically if I were to move back to PDX I would choose NE or SE... I lived in NW (around 21st and Johnson and 23rd and Glisan) for about 4 years... It was a damn fun time but it's a bit pricey, and you won't be able to find a place with parking for any reasonable price. If you need a garage you'll have to go further out. Portland is such a small town tho, it's bigger than Eugene but you can still get from one side to the other in less than 2 hours even in the most epic traffic ever.

But keep in mind that if you're going to buy a house (for less than 200k) you'll have to be in B.F.E or worse... Vancouver. ICK
Old 05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

north portland like around roosevelt hs is ghetto as ****, avoid that area. i live near the i205/i84 interchange, that's a good place, not a lot of crime, plenty of places are in walking distance, max and bus stations right within a few blocks. i think anywhere from like 50th and up is good, but that's just personal preference.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input guys, Im lookin at condos in Lake Oswego and Beaverton at this point... I cant find anything in my price range any closer to down town
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

beaverton is good, lake oswego seems to be more on the spendy side, at least from what i've seen. living downtown would be cool, but not my thing, though it's nice to have everything within walking distance, parking is a pain, and more people = more crime/vandalism. maybe try the east side near gresham, like anything east of 122nd ave.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate047

But keep in mind that if you're going to buy a house (for less than 200k) you'll have to be in B.F.E or worse... Vancouver. ICK

Vancouver doesn't like people that live here and work in Oregon...at least I don't...
Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats silly, why would you care? look at the east coast TUNS of people work in a different state than they live in. its not like they are trying to scam you out of taxes its just how things work out sometimes.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess if commuting 1+ hours each way and being employed in an area you can't even vote in is your thing, then go for it. Just not my thing....and I would never live in the east coast...LA was bad enough
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Evs-One
I guess if commuting 1+ hours each way and being employed in an area you can't even vote in is your thing, then go for it. Just not my thing....and I would never live in the east coast...LA was bad enough
I totally agree, I hate the east coast. I cant wait to move to portland. I have been in eugene my whole life ughhhh