Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

Modified Exhaust Ticket:Vancouver, WA

Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Modified Exhaust Ticket:Vancouver, WA

Just got a ticket for Modified Exhaust, never had to deal with this before.
Wasn't speeding or anything either.

So, for those of you who have had to deal with this BS, should I just pay the ticket or go to court and see if I can get it dropped.

I'm pissed because it's marked as a traffic violation.... not sure how that works.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Modified Exhaust Ticket:Vancouver, WA

must be a loud pile of ****
Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 0554 View Post
must be a loud pile of ****
hahah

Seriously? **** off dude.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NOOOOOO!!!!!

As long as you weren't a A-Hole when Johnny Law pulled you over. I've been sighted for the very same thing.

There is no law within WA that states the you cannot have a (none OEM modified exhaust)

See below:

RCW 46.37.390
Mufflers required — Smoke and air contaminant standards — Definitions — Penalty, exception.

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(2)(a) No motor vehicle first sold and registered as a new motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 1 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (a)(i) above.

(b) No motor vehicle first sold and registered prior to January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 2 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (b)(i) above.

(c) For the purposes of this subsection the following definitions shall apply:

(i) "Opacity" means the degree to which an emission reduces the transmission of light and obscures the view of an object in the background;

(ii) "Ringelmann chart" means the Ringelmann smoke chart with instructions for use as published by the United States bureau of mines in May 1967 and as thereafter amended, information circular 7718.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you even read what you wrote?

Read #1 again it says "Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to PREVENT excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway."

This means anything other than stock OEM equipment is ILLEGAL!

And therefore be issued a ticket
Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know how to interpret this? This could be defined in many ways it all depends on which judge you get. It does not say anything that isnt oem is illegal! It just states excessive or unusual, which is different to every person. You might be able to get it reduced, but I doubt you'll be able to get rid of it completely. Just get a quieter exhaust and problems are done.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackmugensivic View Post

Read #1 again it says "Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to PREVENT excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway."

WRONG! Muffler cut-out/bypass/similar device does NOT equal aftermarket exhaust.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG1PJT View Post
Do you know how to interpret this? This could be defined in many ways it all depends on which judge you get. It does not say anything that isnt oem is illegal! It just states excessive or unusual, which is different to every person. You might be able to get it reduced, but I doubt you'll be able to get rid of it completely. Just get a quieter exhaust and problems are done.
I appreciate the info guys.

If the ticket wasn't marked as a "Traffic Violation" I'd just pay it and be done.
Not really trying to have this on my record.

I should probably get a silencer for my exhaust, it's not the quietest....
And I'm not trying to go back to OEM. Never had problems before with my current setup and it's been 3 years.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

End thread:

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Master Detailer

How much was the ticket?

That ticket really shouldn't have been written as a traffic violation. But, it's possible the cop just did it without thinking about it. I got 2 no front plate tickets that were written as traffic. Neither went on my reccord.

I don't think it's anything to worry, nor do I think your insurance will ever give a **** if you have a loud exhuast or not.

I'm sure you could call the police station and simply ask.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple years back i got a modified exhaust ticket, went to court and the judge read the officers statement and threw it out. Simply because the officer didn't state how loud the exhaust was, or even that it was louder than stock.

So if taking a day off of work is worth the cost of the ticket then test you luck in court, otherwise just pay it now.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by weatherall123 View Post
WRONG! Muffler cut-out/bypass/similar device does NOT equal aftermarket exhaust.
Yes because a muffler cut-out/bypass/ or similar device doesn't cause excessive or unusual noise
Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes because a muffler cut-out/bypass/ or similar device doesn't cause excessive or unusual noise
Wrong again. A muffler/cut-out/bypass/similar device WOULD cause excessive noise simply because you are BYPASSING the muffler. Aftermarket exhaust systems don't bypass or cut-out the muffler.

Compare our exhaust system noise to big block muscle cars. I don't see them getting many excessive noise tickets.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder why Harleys never get pulled over for being extremely loud?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If they don't have proof id fight it
Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm definitely fighting it.

Debating putting an entire OEM exhaust on and taking pictures, then showing that to the judge.

Mitigation Hearing?
Or
Contested Hearing?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Master Detailer

You could do either.

i'd do mitigation if you put an OEM exhuast on it. say you had no idea the other exhuast was illegal, and you've fixed/replaced the exhuast. And hope the judge isn't a bitch and drops it.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iHEARTMYCiViC View Post
I wonder why Harleys never get pulled over for being extremely loud?
A cop once told me because they came from the factory like that. I've been pulled over numerous times when I had a fart can on my car. Never been cited or anything. Now my 2.5" exhaust looks like an OEM so I no longer get hassled.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read Brother, read the whole thing, If you believe what you wrote "This means anything other than stock OEM equipment is ILLEGAL!" then every muffler shop would be dealing in illegal goods.

#1. States that "Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order" where did you get OEM out of that statement?

Mr. K
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90sedan View Post
A couple years back i got a modified exhaust ticket, went to court and the judge read the officers statement and threw it out. Simply because the officer didn't state how loud the exhaust was, or even that it was louder than stock.

So if taking a day off of work is worth the cost of the ticket then test you luck in court, otherwise just pay it now.
I did the very same thing, when to court, and no where on the ticket did the deputy say anything about my exhaust being loud, so not guilty.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can probably get it thrown out unless you admit it was loud. The burden of evidence is on the city. They have no way to guage how loud your exhaust is compared to stock. You need a way to test it much like a speeding ticket will get thrown out if it base on the officers opinion and not a radar gun.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Master Detailer

Don't forgot if the cop doesn't show, it's an instant win.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a friend with, lets say skunk2 or greddy, etc exhaust that is 50 state legal? just get his receipt and show it to the court. it should get dropped with that. or just direct the court to a webpage that verifies it.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you idiots not make it past #1? It clearly states you cannot modify it to be louder than stock. CANNOT AMPLIFY OR INCREASE THE NOISE EMITTED ABOVE THE MUFFLER ORIGINALLY INSTALLED. So louder than stock is illegal

Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Garage 808 Hatch View Post
Can you idiots not make it past #1? It clearly states you cannot modify it to be louder than stock. CANNOT AMPLIFY OR INCREASE THE NOISE EMITTED ABOVE THE MUFFLER ORIGINALLY INSTALLED. So louder than stock is illegal

Wow. Did you not read my post. The cops would have to have a list of stock db levels and compare it to the db levels of your car. While the wording in the law was removed concerning db levels there is still no way to prove the exhaust is louder than stock otherwise it is based upon the cops opinion. The cop is not an expert when it comes to comparing stock exhaust sounds nor is he a mechanic. For all the cop knew the welds on your header could have broke producing the loud noise. That is why the ticket should never be held up in court unless you have admitted that your exhaust has been modified to produce the loud sound. Then by your own admission you have broken the law. Did the op break the law? According to the op post yes he did but there has to be some measure of proof that he did break the exhaust law.