Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Northwest (https://honda-tech.com/forums/northwest-85/)
-   -   bought everything to do a swap (https://honda-tech.com/forums/northwest-85/bought-everything-do-swap-3117639/)

mächtigen 01-15-2013 02:33 PM

bought everything to do a swap

So here's my problem, I bought a d16z6 for my del sol (93). The only problem is I don't have the tools. So what i'm looking for is someone with tools, place, and knowledge about hondas to help me get her in. Yea I'm not asking for much... But i really don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a shop to put it it in. Not to mention that would defeat the purpose of learning something new, witch was my intention when I bought the engine. Anyway I'm in Washington Marysville area. If your up to give me a hand I can compensate you for your time. Was hoping it could be done in a day or so. Anyway Drop me a line if you have questions or would like some more details.

jbpnoman 01-15-2013 03:50 PM

Re: bought everything to do a swap

You should either A) check the regional forums, or B) buy the tools and learn. You can get an engine hoist and motor rotisserie for $150-$200.

BC_Garage 01-15-2013 07:16 PM

Technically you don't need a motor hoist. You can pull from the bottom with a big enough jack. It would be better to get the hoist forsure it would be much easier. Then you just need a ratchet, sockets, breaker bar. It's better to get the tools and learn so you can do it yourself. Then you won't have to borrow peoples tools.

mächtigen 01-15-2013 08:42 PM

Valid point, But I also don't wanna break anything 0.o

BC_Garage 01-15-2013 09:49 PM

If you do the research and ask questions on here then you won't break anything. Do you do work on your own car at all?

Fnix 01-15-2013 10:06 PM

Buy a little over time so you dont break bank

HuiDC2 01-16-2013 02:13 AM

Re: bought everything to do a

Buy a manual...simple. Everyone that wants to do it right has one. Haynes will walk you thru every step. If you need a cherry picker (engine lift) autozone/oreily's have them. It's really not difficult just take your time and make sure you get all your hoses/lines disconnected. You should be able to get it done in 3 days tops (1 with experience) if you devote the time and have the tools. I would recommend a compressor and breaker bar for the axles and mounts. The bitch pin which is well documented on how to remove it out on HT, and lowering in the new engine/trans takes some finesse your first time, just be sure not to smack any break/fuel lines on the fire wall lowering in.

kwong2001 01-16-2013 12:41 PM

Tool wise, Sears has some great tool kits you can get which cover most of the basics. The only thing you would need to get are things like a torque wrench, breaker bar, and maybe some phillips and flat head bits.

I've accumulated a decent collection of tools, but that's the stuff that I used 99% of the time. The rest is stuff I've used a handful of times if that.

Slomo_civic 01-16-2013 05:18 PM

Not sure why everyone has problems with the so called "bitch pin". Just use a roll pin punch.

raverx3m 02-06-2013 10:07 PM

theres are so many walkthroughs about engine swap its not even funny

go to harbor freight and get some cheap tools

get a medium size jack that way you can lift the car up and slide the engine right out once you drop it on the floor.

RangerRingor 02-07-2013 05:51 PM

So what you're really saying is

"I don't want to spend money anymore. I want someone to install the engine for me for free while I watch."

:o

raverx3m 02-07-2013 08:13 PM

buying lunch doesnt really work unless you know the guy personally.

pay someone or buy tools. you only have to buy tools once btw.