Northern California North of Fresno

New smog laws for california

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New smog laws for california

grabbed this info from rsxer63 on clubrsx

Under California's complicated new Smog Check II program. how your car or truck will be testred depends a lot on where you live. Parts of the state with the dirtiest air -- mostly the Sacramento, Central Valley, Los Angeles and San Diego areas -- will face the toughest tests on new equipment. For other parts of the state, including most of the Bay Area, there are also strict new rules and standards.

HOW REMOTE SMOG SENSING WORKS

Remote smog sensors are appearing along California roadsides to measure emissions from cars as they drive by. The entire process takes about three seconds.

(1) An infrared beam shot across the highway picks up the contents of a car's exhaust. A calibrator and computer on the other side of the road screen and measure the emissions.

(2) At the same time, a camera snaps a pictire of the vehicle's license plate. The state uses that in information to find and notify the vehicle's owner if emissions are too high.

SMOG TESTS DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE

HOW OFTEN VEHICLES ARE TESTED

Toughest testing (a) Once every two years, unless vehicle is a high polluter, and when vehicle change owners.

Less strict Once every two years, unless vehicle is a high polluter, and when vehicle changes owners.

Least strict Only when vehicle changes owners.

HOW VEHICLE IS TESTED

Toughest testing (a) 15 percent of all vehicles tested at new smog centers, others tested at private garages. All tested on treadmills. Test results sent by computer to DMV.

Less strict All tested at private garages, no treadmill. Test result sent by computer to DMV.

Least strict All tested at private garages, no treadmill. Test results sent by computer to DMV.

IF VEHICLE FAILS

Toughest testing (a) High polluters must be repaired and retested at new smog centers. Less severe polluters must be repaired and retested at either private garages or smog centers.

Less strict High polluters must be repaired and retested at special referee centers. Less severe polluters must be repaired and retested at private garages.

Least strict Allvehicles must be repaired and retested at private garages.

REPAIR COST WAIVERS (b)

Toughest testing (a) Vehicle owner must spend at least $450 on smog-relatred repairs before getting a waiver if vehicle fails test.

Less strict Vehicle owner must spend at least $450 on smog-related repairs before getting a waiver if vehicle fails test.

Least strict N/A

Toughest testing (a) If you cannot afford needed smog repairs, you may apply for a one-time, one-year extension.

Less strict If you cannot afford needed smog repairs, you may apply for a one-time, one-year extension.

Least strict N/A

(a) The new program for more polluted areas will only take effect as Smog Check II becomes fully operational in those areas. Currently, Sacramento is the only area where the program is completely in place. The Central Valley will follow next spring. (b) Waivers are not avaiable for vehicles that are changing ownership or are being registered in California for the first time.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New smog laws for california

Originally Posted by hondarazor23
"REMOTE SMOG SENSING WORKS" is no longer in effect..it hasnt for months. it was called SouthCoast Air Quality Program..they had them randomly in Southern California. It sounds kind of scary how the process worked but yea no worries..that is looong gone.

The rest of the information is pretty accurate
really??? oh phewwwwwww
Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it dam it....im moving back to nevada...
Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

washington lisence plates here i come
Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

california thinks there's no money now? Lets see what happens if every one move's away.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondarazor23
"REMOTE SMOG SENSING WORKS" is no longer in effect..it hasnt for months. it was called SouthCoast Air Quality Program..they had them randomly in Southern California. It sounds kind of scary how the process worked but yea no worries..that is looong gone.

The rest of the information is pretty accurate
do you know why they stopped doing it? I hope they're not goina bring it back
Old 04-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im with sam on this im heading to washington in july hopefully if i find something there im not coming back this states too ****ed up...
Old 04-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont see what the problem with that is... my car is modified to hell and back but but i have maps for daily driving and maps for racing... i would much rather have sensors then mandatory smog checks where i wouldnt pass solely on the look of my engine bay. it might help get some the black smog shooting diesel trucks and the old cars that are the real problem.

maybe i read this wrong or this isnt the complete story but it doesnt seem that bad to me
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im getting a mustang...they won't even trip off me
Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also heard they are going to start smogging 2010 bikes now.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Underated
i dont see what the problem with that is... my car is modified to hell and back but but i have maps for daily driving and maps for racing... i would much rather have sensors then mandatory smog checks where i wouldnt pass solely on the look of my engine bay. it might help get some the black smog shooting diesel trucks and the old cars that are the real problem.

maybe i read this wrong or this isnt the complete story but it doesnt seem that bad to me
well they're goina do both
Old 04-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn there so strict its ridiculous
Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jdm.norcal
im with sam on this im heading to washington in july hopefully if i find something there im not coming back this states too ****ed up ...
washington state where they don't pop hoods... or flip a bitch just cause you drive a modded honda .... its so stress free here driving a honda ... wa state smog is so simple to ... obd2 cars only have to plug into your connector and see if all senors are working your good to go.. no dyno no mph test.. only for per obd2 cars will have to go on dyno for a mph test .... .. oh yea no need to ref... just pull up to the smog station and tell them what size motor... lol
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by allmotorek4
washington state where they don't pop hoods... or flip a bitch just cause you drive a modded honda .... its so stress free here driving a honda ... wa state smog is so simple to ... obd2 cars only have to plug into your connector and see if all senors are working your good to go.. no dyno no mph test.. only for per obd2 cars will have to go on dyno for a mph test .... .. oh yea no need to ref... just pull up to the smog station and tell them what size motor... lol
CA is just full of liberal, tree hugging, prius driving yuppies... Its a wonder CA spends millions of dollars to upgrade our smogging devices etc... while other states are not joining in to help the cause themselves.

I dont give a **** if its because we have an onshore breeze and blow all the wind east. Its absolutely usless for just one or TWO (if you include oregon) to have such harsh laws.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ exactly
Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
CA is just full of liberal, tree hugging, prius driving yuppies... Its a wonder CA spends millions of dollars to upgrade our smogging devices etc... while other states are not joining in to help the cause themselves.

I dont give a **** if its because we have an onshore breeze and blow all the wind east. Its absolutely usless for just one or TWO (if you include oregon) to have such harsh laws.
Seattle the # 1 biking city in the u.s ... more tree huger here then ca.. for sure ...
Old 05-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont trust a article that calls a dyno a treadmill
Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Thateguhate

He speaks the truth!