Notices
Northern California North of Fresno

SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station.

Trying to get my BAR sticker at a referee station today at Wyotech in Fremont. Referee said the car was too low They had an above ground dyno and said it wont clear. My car isnt slammed, but he wouldnt put it on anyway.

My question is to all you BAR certified folks, which station should I go to? He told me to try Evergreen in San Jose since they have an in-ground dyno.

A friend of mine said to try Contra Costa also. Both stations have an in-ground dyno.

I heard Evergreen is strict on stuff, even down to the airbag issue. I have a momo wheel. My setup is all stock except for an AEM intake made for the motor. I need your guy's experience to point me the right way...thanks.

**edit** made appt. at contra costa -- cool guys.

***EDIT 3/3/05 PIX ON 2nd PAGE**

Modified by asiandoood at 4:54 PM 2/25/2005

Modified by asiandoood at 4:37 PM 3/3/2005
Old 02-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station. (asiandoood)

i've seen good things from Skyline and Contra Costa lately.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station. (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

dont mean to steal the thread, but how do all you turbo/high horsepower people pass smog? do a swap right before or what?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station. (knockout)

usually people get their engine Ref'd first, then start adding things like a turbo kit, and worry about it in 2 years.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have RECENT experiences with Evergreen? Seems like fingers are pointing to Contra Costa.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^
Old 02-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys are cool at Contra Costa... The filipno guy at skyline is cool as well... I don't know about the too low issue... Just raise it back up if its such a problem.... The last car we brought to skyline was pretty low and the guy didn't say anything.... If all your stuff is hooked up then you don't have anything to worry about anyway....
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fishnfst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishnfst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys are cool at Contra Costa... The filipno guy at skyline is cool as well... I don't know about the too low issue... Just raise it back up if its such a problem.... The last car we brought to skyline was pretty low and the guy didn't say anything.... If all your stuff is hooked up then you don't have anything to worry about anyway....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I made an appointment for Contra Costa tomowrow. Hopefully all goes well. I had an appointment today at Fremont, but the guy wont even look at it b/c he says I'm too low for the above ground dyno. (I would of raised it, but im not on coilovers, so that wasnt an option) The only reason I considered Contra Costa or Evergreen was b/c they both had in ground dynos. Hopefully all goes well tomowrow. Thanks for your input
Old 02-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (asiandoood)

i was suppose to have my appointment at 1:20 today at fremont wyotech, but i came late and the guy turned me away. so i have an appt next tuesday at the station in livermore. anyone know much about that station?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station. (asiandoood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asiandoood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Trying to get my BAR sticker at a referee station today at Wyotech in Fremont. Referee said the car was too low They had an above ground dyno and said it wont clear. My car isnt slammed, but he wouldnt put it on anyway.

My question is to all you BAR certified folks, which station should I go to? He told me to try Evergreen in San Jose since they have an in-ground dyno.

A friend of mine said to try Contra Costa also. Both stations have an in-ground dyno.

I heard Evergreen is strict on stuff, even down to the airbag issue. I have a momo wheel. My setup is all stock except for an AEM intake made for the motor. I need your guy's experience to point me the right way...thanks.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
my bro had the same problem. they didnt want to smog his car because it was too low. so i barrowed their floor jack and raised it there.

go to skyline. the guy over there is cool
Old 02-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station. (JSJ EG HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSJ EG HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my bro had the same problem. they didnt want to smog his car because it was too low. so i barrowed their floor jack and raised it there.

go to skyline. the guy over there is cool</TD></TR></TABLE>

...i dont have coilovers

hopefully they let me get on the in ground dyno. my car isnt that low. it cleared many dyno's before....im just guessing its up to the smog ref to decide on their equipment.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i made a thread about peoples experances form REF shops you should search for it
Old 02-25-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station. (slammed_93_hatch)

i just got my bar sticker last week. i recommend going to skyline college. theyre cool over there, pretty lenient. they get my vote.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when u get it bar'd. what do u have to bring with you? whats the process? how long does it take to get the sticker?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station. (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i made a thread about peoples experances form REF shops you should search for it</TD></TR></TABLE>

already searched and saw it. not much on the contra costa station.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetfamehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just got my bar sticker last week. i recommend going to skyline college. theyre cool over there, pretty lenient. they get my vote. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hopefully all goes well today so i dont have to go to skyline

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock93cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when u get it bar'd. what do u have to bring with you? whats the process? how long does it take to get the sticker?</TD></TR></TABLE>

bring your proof of usdm ecu if needed, proof of ownership of motor just in case, any papers proving your bolt ons are CARB approved just in case, registration, and $38.25 for the certificate and sticker.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck. let us know how it went. about to start getting my hatch ready to be BAR'd in the bay area.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station. (Braco11)

good luck
Old 02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks! off i go...hopefully i come back with good news
Old 02-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got back from the REF. Failed 15mph HC's by 4 ....I was so close to getting the sticker ...dammit.

results:

15 mph | 1928 RPM | HC MAX- 126 HC-MEAS 130 | CO MAX- .79 CO MEAS- .17 | NO MAX- 824 NO MEAS- 709

25 mph | 2256 RPM | HC MAX- 101 HC MEAS- 59 | CO MAX- .67 CO MEAS- .02 | NO MAX- 763 NO MEAS- 399

Change plugs and wires??
Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM

i have heard good things about skyline, i heard there easy to pass. thats where i plan on going
Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sux0rs. you NOx was kinda high too. i'd recommend the following: seafoam (reduce carbon buildup and NOx), some "guarantee to pass" fuel additive (also to reduce carbon build up), oil change (less oil to leak thru rings, lower HC), new plugs wires rotor cap (better combustion, less HC).

it also helps to keep your car really warm. i drove for nearly an hour b4 my test and kept my car idling the entire time.

worse comes to worst, get a new cat. i'll sell u my slightly used on for $75. i have a highflow piece from my other setup.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sux0rs. you NOx was kinda high too. i'd recommend the following: seafoam (reduce carbon buildup and NOx), some "guarantee to pass" fuel additive (also to reduce carbon build up), oil change (less oil to leak thru rings, lower HC), new plugs wires rotor cap (better combustion, less HC).

it also helps to keep your car really warm. i drove for nearly an hour b4 my test and kept my car idling the entire time.

worse comes to worst, get a new cat. i'll sell u my slightly used on for $75. i have a highflow piece from my other setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks...i'll take those into consideration. i drove all the way from fremont to the contra costa station...and kept the car idling the whole time. i thought it would of helped. Im definately going to change the plugs/wires, change oil, and check the timing.

will seafoam drastically change the numbers?

as for the cat, i have a brand new one by carsound.

i definately approve of the contra costa station for anyone who needs to get BAR'd. The guys are cool and not as strict as other's from what i've heard.

I didnt need to verify the ECU or show any papers other than my registration. When they checked the CARB EO number on the intake...they didnt even have to pull out the manual. I think they got it all memorized or something ...and my car cleared the in ground dyno with no problems.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: (asiandoood)

damn...im glad i found this thread

i have experienced with the guy Joe at Evergreen, and i wouldnt recommend that guy to anyone, even his worker told me that Joe is a ********.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you burning any oil? What kind of oil are you ru nning? I hope its not synthetic.....
Old 02-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fishnfst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishnfst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you burning any oil? What kind of oil are you ru nning? I hope its not synthetic.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont believe Im burning oil...although I was 1/2 quart below. I thought that was pretty normal for VTEC motors. Im running regular 10w-30

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SMOG REF Bay Area California -- Need your help in deciding station.