Notices
Northern California North of Fresno

Moving out of CA - DMV

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving out of CA - DMV

My uncle moved out of CA, and he got a registration renewal notice. Since he already registered the car with his new home state, he ignored the notice from CA DMV.

Now he got a nasty past due notice from CA DMV, something like you will owe them your first born child if you don't pay up - joke. Something like lien, etc.

Uncle does not speak English well. I went to the DMV website and got no help. No problem with registration in my uncle's new home state. Everything is done and fine for 3 months.

Why should CA DMV care? If my registration is expired, it's my business. My risk. You see my point?

Does anyone know?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moving out of CA - DMV (YipMan_Style)

They just want to get paid! I had a horrible experience with them a few years back. I sold a car to this moron that never registered it and I forgot to mail in the release of liability. So DMV kept sending me past due notices. I ignored them for like a year, then bam! they [freak]ing went into my paycheck and deducted what i supposedly owed them. I had to call the Sacramento office and provide them with the new owners information. They finally cleared it and reimbursed me for it.

I would just goto the DMV and explain to them your uncles situation. Don't wait on it!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moving out of CA - DMV (gsp ej1-em1)

What do I need to do if I'm moving out-of-state?
You must report a change of address to DMV within 10 days of the change. Use the Change of Address (DMV 14) form to notify the Department of a change of residence or mailing address for your vehicle, vessel, driver license, or identification card records.

If you have moved out of California and received a renewal notice, simply write on the notice that you are no longer in California AND provide the date that you moved out of state and mail it back to DMV. Your record will be updated with the new information when DMV receives the notice. If you are moving out of the country and are going to export your vehicle by ship or air select this link here for more information.

If you still have questions, or need to obtain a form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133. To speak to an operator call between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, Pacific Time.

How to stop receiving renewal notices for a car you no longer own or if you moved out of state.
If you received a renewal notice for a vehicle you no longer own, DMV probably did not receive a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability or if one was submitted it was incomplete or illegible. You must submit another Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability for the vehicle record to be updated. A Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability must be submitted not only when the vehicle is sold, but also if it is given away or donated.

Registration renewal notices are computer generated more than 60 days prior to the expiration date. Occasionally, these renewal notices are generated within days of the sale of your vehicle and the documents may cross in the mail.

If this occurs, complete another release of liability form or submit a copy of your original notice of release of liability with your renewal notice, and DMV will update the information. You can mail it to the address on the form.

If you have moved out of California and received a renewal notice, simply write on the notice that you are no longer in California AND provide the date that you moved out of state and mail it back to DMV. Your record will be updated with the new information when DMV receives the notice.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm

took 1 min to find
Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moving out of CA - DMV (wickedbautista)

good ****!