Northern California North of Fresno

Moving to Humboldt what's it like?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Moving to Humboldt what's it like?

Alright since i can't really seem to find anything anywhere else on the internet, i'm going to be moving to Eureka all the way from here in Wisco within the next few months my gf is leaving this weekend since we already found a place and roomates and such i just have a few loose ends to tie up back here whats the Import/honda scene around there? seems like most of you are from the bay, or sac. anyone one on here from Humboldt any info would be helpful, is there a scene? how are the cops? thieves?

Also any info/help with what to expect for emmisions, how to pass would be helpful because where i live currently we have no emmisions laws at all so i've never had to worry about part's etc, being carb legal and i'm feelin pretty doubtful my car will pass
Old 01-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moving to Humboldt what's it like?

haha a place where there's no emissions law to a place with the strict up the *** laws..this should be fun
Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Eureka. Humboldt County, as far as I know, is the only county in Claifornia where you DO NOT have to do bi-annual smog inspections. You only do it when buying/selling. Every once in a while I do hear of people getting ref tickets, but its not common.

Cops arent bad as long as you don't drive like a retard. It's a small area, they WILL remember you. Behave, and they leave you alone.

The car scene is actually pretty good. Everyone knows everyone (or at least they know their cars) We have weekly car meets with a good group of guys. Not much in the way of performance shops though, you have to go to the bay area for that.

When are you moving here?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll be there there hopefully by the end of may at the latest, it pretty much sounds like the cops around here and thats good to know, on the emmisions might have to pick up some stock parts just for the inspection then currently have a comptech header which i know has the carb stamp on it but not so sure about the blox im and the apexi n1 cat back.

performance shops i wasn't really too concerned with as theres none here either i usually just order my parts online and do the work myself

it's nice to know that theres a nice close-knit scene tho thats what we have around here and it's not really manufacturer specific we're all just guys that love cars and get along, sure theres still the whole import/domestic debate here but for the most part we still get along, save those few hardcore rednecks that think foxbody mustangs are god's gift to the world lol

we already have an apt on california st in eureka just a few blocks from the 101 and it has a garage so i'm not too worried about theives but i'm still looking into a viper alarm system before i leave here, where i currently live i could literally leave my car unlocked and running in the driveway all day and not have to worry about it getting stolen
Old 01-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did see a couple nice hondas there while we were out there in december particularly one i remeber was a real clean red dc2 that was parked a couple blocks from the library and a few civics on the 101 while we were driving
Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

California st. is like 3 blocks away from the street I'm on haha.

That DC2 belongs to my friend Lue. Has a JDM ITR swap but thats about it. He just sold his R33 Tommy Kaira GTR and NSX, but might be picking up a RHD R35 GTR soon. Hit me up when you're in town!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing you'll appreciate are the roads to drive on. I used to drive to Humboldt state all the time to drop off/pick up my sister, but I was always driving some type of moving transport, so I could never take advantage. Becareful though, because the cops will just be posting on 101 through mendicino and humboldt county. I hope you also like wet weather, because it's the only part of California where it rains more out of the year than rest of the state.

Completely off topic, but since you're now moving to California, when you get a chance you should check out In-n-Out burger. The last time I was there the closest one was in Redding, which is still like 90 minutes away, but you'll appreciate a inexpensive burger.

Also if you refer to 101 as "the 101" people will think you're from So. Cal.

Welcome to California!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

i drove through Eureka, seems like a hole to me
Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Humboldt county is one of a select few california counties where you do not have to do the bi annual smog for re-registration. I lived in Eureka for awhile and it was not too bad. Unfortunately there are a few shady honda people up there so be careful. There is a pretty good amount of car people up there but there is also a lot of ricers up there. There is a good dragstrip and auto x place out in Samoa which is just a few minutes outside of Eureka. The roads up there are great. The cops dont really bother you unless you drive like a dipshit. Make sure to secure your car really well if you go to the Bayshore Mall and if you dont park in a garage. Other than that, enjoy! Eureka is pretty badass.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIHnVOkc1Q
I don't live in humboldt co. but ive seen some footage and looks fun up there the herb is bomb and in plenty. I went up there for a bboy battle..its puurdy country up there. Want to go to some meets with 80+ cars at times hit up oakland lol