Notices
Northeast Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont

To all of you NYC car guys out there, what's the car culture like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Deo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all of you NYC car guys out there, what's the car culture like?

After a week of visiting, my girlfriend is pretty set on the idea of moving to NYC. I loved the city, but I'm worried about my hobby and career path. Does NYC have a decently vibrant car culture despite the myths about a lack of people driving? Are inspections strict/existent?

More importantly, are there enough aftermarket tuning shops around that I might be able to find a job? (assume I'm capable enough to get a job in such a shop)
Old 05-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Re: To all of you NYC car guys out there, what's the car culture like? (Deo)

if u live near the GWB, NJ has a pretty decent car culture. A lot of the meets i go to have people from NJ as well as nyc.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:23 AM

Default Re: To all of you NYC car guys out there, what's the car culture like? (Deo)

nyc, long island, new jersey, pennsylvania have a very good car culture. im on long island and i can tell you theres many shops around. the biggest killer is obviously the cops. this is my 1st "car season" home since 2005 due to military training and deployment. ive been home 2 and a half months and i can already see how much the cops have cracked down on it a bit. a lot of my friends got out of the import scene bc of it. and that sucks bc i come home finally and i have no one to roll with anymore. but in general the import scene, hell the car scene in general is pretty big here
Old 05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this will be a novel, but it will be worth your read.

the NY scene is basically centered around street racing and this common phrase "lock it the fack up" which is said all too often by the "racers" and wanna-be racers alike. although now, there's a small segment of people who are more about the clean look, and like to just chill and kick it - its a real small group and its far and few in between.

I do have a forum in the works that will cater to that small group, so you need not worry.

another issue, thieves and shady cats. this place is horrible for that, and that kills the culture because people become more secretive out of fear...so the fellowship is lacking by many. all too often you'll have the ignorant ***** that will cut you off on the highway and downshift while letting off plums of smoke from his cool ls/vtec motor.

the life here however, is definitely cooler than most Northeast venues, and if you play your cards right you'll find the good, honest, hardworking people who appreciate standing out and helping to keep the fellowship in the game.

if you need anything, just hit me up..I'll be glad to help you!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To all of you NYC car guys out there, what's the car culture like? (br0nx finest)

about inspections, its not bad at all since there are many places to go and hookups to have. its pretty easy to get an inspection here in NY. however, CT/NJ is very very difficult.

about jobs, if you solely want to work for a tuning place there are some places in Queens, Long Island, but that is very limited since good shops are rather hard to find. most out here are shady. but, NJ/CT might be a good place for that.