Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Midwest (https://honda-tech.com/forums/midwest-114/)
-   -   First Build (https://honda-tech.com/forums/midwest-114/first-build-3256513/)

WiscoEx 08-20-2015 10:43 AM

First Build

Hey all, just looking for a bit of guidance with my first engine build.
I recently purchased a b18b1 with most of the parts to reassemble although I have not decided whether I will stick with the LS head or go with a GSR head.
My goals ultimately are just to give my 98' civic a bit more pep than its tired D16(289,000miles), staying within a $2000 budget.
For those of you with much more experience with swaps/builds than myself, my question is this: Starting with the block and head, what should I have done at a machine shop to ensure that I'm getting a "fresh start" with this build? Recommendations on a shop near Minneapolis, MN/Eau Claire, WI?

Any additional input is greatly appreciated!

Snowmanonfire 08-20-2015 10:52 AM

Re: First Build

Hi with the B18 check with Hondata gaskets for that engine type the gaskets should all be refreshed as well all the intake and exhaust valves. springs and stems. That is a fairly cheap refresh. It'll also help with potentially burning excessive amounts of oil. if you want machining the head before the suggested upgrades is never a bad idea. Hasport mounts help bring that wheel horsepower up with no energy loss, sway bars stiffer shocks all give you more horses at the wheel.

Snowmanonfire 08-20-2015 10:55 AM

https://www.hondata.com/heatshield/h...eld-b16A-b18c5

this is a great heatshield that gives you 2 extra horse power too.

hardcore97 08-20-2015 02:56 PM

Changing valves and springs is hardly a "cheap refresh" and likely not necessary, depending on what his end goals are. if he is just wanting to do an oem rebuild then he doesnt really need to upgrade anything. fresh gasket set, make sure block and head surfaces are both square, i believe the service limits on those are .003" someone can correct me if im wrong. i would also check the cylinder walls and make sure they dont need too much work, otherwise you may need to go to a slightly oversized piston. valve stem seals are cheap and easy to do while everything is apart, so you might as well do that.

blackeg 08-21-2015 03:34 AM

the block will likely need an overbore to clean up any out of round which seems to be pretty common. maybe 81.25 maybe 81.5mm wont know till you measure it. this will require new pistons and rings. bearings should be replaced and whether you go vtec or not i would replace the stock rod bolts with arp's. they are cheap and well worth it. checking the deck surfaces on the block and head i would do also, take as little off the block as needed and mill the head or use thinner hg if you want to make up compression on the pistons you use.

ok here on out, what do you want to do with the motor? bolt ons and street tune? high compression? boost? you are likely to need pistons anyway and what you want out of the engine will determine what you get. once we have your goals we can better outline ways to get there.

F22Master 08-21-2015 05:54 PM

Sell all the motor parts you have on CL.

Go buy a bone stock B20 from a JDM importer.

If you are trying to do a B series swap, you will need close to $2k just to get the swap done. Motor, trans, axles, shift linkage, clutch kit, etc. Plus, for a relative new comer, trying to build a motor, while also doing a swap is not the easiest way to go.

Save yourself tons of time, money, and frustration, and just pick up a known good engine. It will have PLENTY of pep, compared to a worn out D16. I promise you.

WiscoEx 08-22-2015 06:12 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Originally Posted by blackeg (Post 50494590)
ok here on out, what do you want to do with the motor? bolt ons and street tune? high compression? boost? you are likely to need pistons anyway and what you want out of the engine will determine what you get. once we have your goals we can better outline ways to get there.

Using the LS block that I have, I want the car to have balance. I want to be able to rely on it as a daily driver, taking the occasional road trip here and there, but I also want it to be "better than stock".
I had a 96' Integra LS once upon time and remembered how much fun that little bastard was to drive. Fast forward 7yrs, now owning a civic, I want to get the same enjoyment out of driving that as I did from my old Integra but I want a bit more out of the same platform.

2kdrift 08-22-2015 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by WiscoEx (Post 50496982)
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Using the LS block that I have, I want the car to have balance. I want to be able to rely on it as a daily driver, taking the occasional road trip here and there, but I also want it to be "better than stock".
I had a 96' Integra LS once upon time and remembered how much fun that little bastard was to drive. Fast forward 7yrs, now owning a civic, I want to get the same enjoyment out of driving that as I did from my old Integra but I want a bit more out of the same platform.

you cant go fast /w reliability for cheap unforunetly..... the saying goes; fast cheap reliability pick 2 haha. I would still recommend B series I was in your situation a few years back finally got my first b16 in a 98 civic. Now im on a b18c1 and LOVE it...now im going turbo u always gonna want more speed. But yeah LS motors are also decent got a B20 in my crv its pretty good nothing like my civic tho.

just gotta esimate what its gonna cost you and decide if its worth it. LS-vtec could easily cost 4k after all said and done assuming you do the work yourself. mounts/mount brackets, axels, new ecu, new head + parts to have it installed, vtec conversion, transmission so yeaah not cheap. better to get a full swap as posted earlier i definetly prefer vtec motors.

ojasia 08-22-2015 11:24 PM

I agree with Hardcore n F22master 2k budget is tight. You might want to step back and actually gather sum info on possible refresh rates. I thought I needed new Valve guides for my build. I ended up just setting there heights a little lower and keeping them, I had them reamed for new Valves isntead. OEM is good stuff but you have to be able to tell what will need replaced n what is better to upgrade with money elsewhere. I'm thinking 2k budget a swap would be more advantageous seeing you could sell your old engine to sum1 needing a beater. Or find a rolling shell swap it in n sell as a running beater!

Not knowing your goals tho. does not really help. (a little more pep) is not really specific. I have seen a couple cars with just built top ends pull great #'s so far but having a decently healthy bottom end will help reliability. Ultimately everyone is looking for reliability at some point, even drag racers dont want to take there brand new "built" engine to the strip n have it smokin n breaking on the first pass. No matter what your using it for I follow what is tried to work (tried n true). There is a saying in the Aviation field "Learn from everyone else's mistake's) < Kno one usually lives to tell the lesson learned.

A stock healthy imported H22 can almost be had for that. With junkyard parts it can swapped in as well. You'll have some pep then! Lol. What I'm trying to say is your gonna get a lot on info and suggestions but its up to you as well. To me the B18 is a good start but torn down n barely having all the pieces for re-assembly is a mess. Me personally I do not take on other peoples projects, I cannot. Thats me tho. I kno others do and its easy I just refuse. Variables & statistics are always against me Lol. GL Tho. On your decision and path to PEP!! :)

WiscoEx 08-23-2015 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ojasia (Post 50497165)

Not knowing your goals tho. does not really help. (a little more pep) is not really specific.

Lol well then, Lets put it differently..

Im putting a B18b1 into my 98' EX.
Budget is no longer a factor(for conversation sake)
No boost
No Vtec
Leaving bottom end stock, what options for the head am I looking at to produce +hp/tq than the stock 140/125?
Cams? Springs? Valves?

njn63 08-23-2015 02:25 PM

At the end of the day the B18B head's ports will be the limiting factor so buying cams/springs/etc. will not do a whole lot. If you're looking to put that kind of money in it, buy a VTEC head.

I would get the B18B swapped in and running in completely stock configuration and then take it from there. Save your money and if you want more power down the road either put a turbo kit on the B18B or (if you want to stay naturally aspirated) do a LS/VTEC build.