Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Midwest (https://honda-tech.com/forums/midwest-114/)
-   -   D15b 3 stage vtec( w/ p2j ecu) - Colorado emissions concerns (https://honda-tech.com/forums/midwest-114/d15b-3-stage-vtec-w-p2j-ecu-colorado-emissions-concerns-3282391/)

bassplay 07-28-2016 05:41 PM

D15b 3 stage vtec( w/ p2j ecu) - Colorado emissions concerns

D15b 3 stage> 98 civic

I'm contemplating buying the full d15b 3 stage swap from HMO including the ecu. It's only going in a DD I'm not planning on doing any mods or shit. I'm just interested because I can get this whole swap (motor, trans, harness, ECU) for much cheaper than I have been finding a Y8. Even buying used from eBay the y8 is more expensive and I haven't found and decent motors/Trans in junk yards/CL. So price and availability are pushing me towards the d15b.

So first this thread is NOT about which ecu I need to use to get the motor running. Second the reason for this thread is because almost all the threads about this motor are ECU related and haven't answered any of my questions. I understand that this site is huge on SEARCH but I have and I just need a little guidance and direction.

I'm getting confused with;

If I go to get emissions with the JDM p2j will the scantron fail the car?

What has to be done about the EGR?

I've read people ttalk about needing a Fuel pressure regulator, is this a necessity or something to help tune?

Does the "small case" ECU cause any problems?

Since I'll have the right harness I'm not worried about splicing wiring but the O2 sensor is 5 wires, is that particular O2 sensor hard to find?

Are there any sensors that will need special attention?

Any emissions hiccups going to cause me headaches?

Thanks in advance for aby help or direction to the right answers!

TomCat39 07-28-2016 09:50 PM

re: D15b 3 stage vtec( w/ p2j ecu) - Colorado emissions concerns

The JDM ECU will not be readable with USDM OBD2 scanners and yes, that will fail you regardless of state.

You have to be OBD1, which is 95 or earlier to get away with the JDM ECU and tail pipe sniff testing.

I can't answer the rest, beyond the small case won't fit normally if at all with the stock large ECU spot.

To be absolutely sure though, give your emissions facility a call and ask about running OBD1 in your OBD2 car due to motor replacement. They don't need to know that it's actually a JDM OBD2 motor. ;)

forbiddenera 07-29-2016 12:10 AM

OBD1 is the way to go!

Really, for 98% of what anyone wants to do with most hondas, obd1 is better.

You won't be able to get that motor running obd2 properly for emissions. So glad I don't have to deal with that here.

One suggestion, though id go obd1 first, You could MAYBE run a SIMILAR USDM ECU for emissions ONLY and then use the jdm ecu for DD, but, I'm not sure which would be your best bet, maybe a y8 ecu but..you'd have to make sure you have no codes and the maps are similar, and I'm not sure you could just plug it in and not get codes, may be possible, the main difference is 3 stage vtec.

Even if you got it running on a usdm obd2 ecu with no codes you could still fail sniffing if the maps aren't close enough. I have little idea how emissions testing works though.

tony_2018 07-29-2016 12:52 AM

Would be nice to know what state you reside in...

bassplay 07-29-2016 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by TomCat39 (Post 51000384)
The JDM ECU will not be readable with USDM OBD2 scanners and yes, that will fail you regardless of state.

You have to be OBD1, which is 95 or earlier to get away with the JDM ECU and tail pipe sniff testing.

I can't answer the rest, beyond the small case won't fit normally if at all with the stock large ECU spot.

To be absolutely sure though, give your emissions facility a call and ask about running OBD1 in your OBD2 car due to motor replacement. They don't need to know that it's actually a JDM OBD2 motor. ;)

I kinda figured that they would hook up and immediately see it's not a usdm ecu and fail me. I'll have to call and ask but I'm 99% sure it's got to be the same obd as what was originally in the car.

But how would the obd1 ecu not get flagged as jdm as well, I figured any jdm ecu would not pass us emissions?

Originally Posted by forbiddenera (Post 51000435)
OBD1 is the way to go!

Really, for 98% of what anyone wants to do with most hondas, obd1 is better.

You won't be able to get that motor running obd2 properly for emissions. So glad I don't have to deal with that here.

One suggestion, though id go obd1 first, You could MAYBE run a SIMILAR USDM ECU for emissions ONLY and then use the jdm ecu for DD, but, I'm not sure which would be your best bet, maybe a y8 ecu but..you'd have to make sure you have no codes and the maps are similar, and I'm not sure you could just plug it in and not get codes, may be possible, the main difference is 3 stage vtec.

Even if you got it running on a usdm obd2 ecu with no codes you could still fail sniffing if the maps aren't close enough. I have little idea how emissions testing works though.

Honestly I don't care what one it is I jjust want a simple motor in my DD but not y7 simple :P ya know a lil pep.
I thought of that too, try using a vtec-e ecu but those are all obd1 as well. And trying to track down what ecu will mot through codes AND have a close enough base map will be a crap shoot. But I did see some threads about using a y8 ecu and such, will have to give them another read.

I absolutely hate emissions I know this car will burn cleaner than 80% of the cars on the road no matter what obd it is

Ugh a b16 is sounding easier and easier as I dig into this:(

Originally Posted by tony_2018 (Post 51000446)
Would be nice to know what state you reside in...

Sorry that would help a bit....Colorado

Thanks for the responses guys!!!!

tony_2018 07-29-2016 04:46 AM

Have you bothered looking up inspection laws in your county, or city?

eghatch9295 07-29-2016 06:36 AM

would be a good idea to read your emissions laws. for example, here in ohio, if they can't get their equipment to read your obd-2 computer, they allow you to do the sniffer test. a similar loophole in your state would be problem solved.

tony_2018 07-29-2016 07:03 AM

Regardless, you will not past with the jdm p2j ecu, they can't read it and if they put the sniffer to it you're fucked.

TomCat39 07-29-2016 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by bassplay (Post 51000472)
But how would the obd1 ecu not get flagged as jdm as well, I figured any jdm ecu would not pass us emissions?

If the car is OBD1, it was before there was a standard for hookup/communication. Result is that on OBD1 cars they don't scan anything, they do the tail pipe sniff test.

Originally Posted by eghatch9295 (Post 51000714)
would be a good idea to read your emissions laws. for example, here in ohio, if they can't get their equipment to read your obd-2 computer, they allow you to do the sniffer test. a similar loophole in your state would be problem solved.

This here is what you should look for. Really need to call your emissions place and see if they auto fail you if they can't read the ECU or if they revert to the sniff test.

I wasn't sure if any states were like that but was hoping.

Also glad you said you aren't in California as then your life would be even more challenging as far as emissions. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by tony_2018 (Post 51000763)
Regardless, you will not past with the jdm p2j ecu, they can't read it and if they put the sniffer to it you're fucked.

Why, what goes up in the lean burn mode? The 25 mile an hour test should be fine, but the lean burn mode is where I suspect the problem lies with the sniff test.

tony_2018 07-29-2016 08:55 AM

High nox bro...eco mode it leans out, I believe if you have a wide band hooked up it will show ratio is 25:1, or something like that. Been a while since this discussion came up. We discussed it on d-series.org, I found info on wiring as well as did my own investigation for wiring and posted here on HT as well.

edit: depending on what gear they will be in w/ the 25mph test lean burn will kick in. This would still be interesting to test though.

92cxyd 09-03-2016 08:53 PM

Re: D15b 3 stage vtec( w/ p2j ecu) - Colorado emissions concerns

could try tank full of ISOpropanol (rubbing alcohol)

forbiddenera 09-04-2016 12:59 PM

D15b isn't really simple with all the problems you listed not to mention the cvt Trans unless yu use another

@Tony what gear would they do the test on with the cvt? Lol

tony_2018 09-05-2016 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by forbiddenera (Post 51042506)
@Tony what gear would they do the test on with the cvt? Lol

OP never listed what gearing he will use BUT

Originally Posted by forbiddenera (Post 51000435)
OBD1 is the way to go!

What OBD1 ecu will control a CVT?