Notices
Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin

Anyone from INDIANA?? I have some questions about registering a rhd car

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone from INDIANA?? I have some questions about registering a rhd car

I'm moving to Indiana probably within a year or sooner. I'm moving to a small town in Indiana. My question is I heard there's no smog here and I was wondering if I was to purchase a rhd car can I just take the Japanese title straight to the bmv and get it registered without any problems? I hope I can get some feedback. Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Anyone from INDIANA?? I have some questions about registering a rhd car

I'm from Porter county IN, we have emissions. Laporte county and most others do not tho. Just sayin, not state wide, check local laws for emissions. I've had friends with plated rhd cars, so it must be possible. But I can't comment on difficulty.

Most BMVs, as they call them here, are friendly. You can call and ask about registering a true JDM title, or a rhd vehicle in general.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone from INDIANA?? I have some questions about registering a rhd car

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
I'm from Porter county IN, we have emissions. Laporte county and most others do not tho. Just sayin, not state wide, check local laws for emissions. I've had friends with plated rhd cars, so it must be possible. But I can't comment on difficulty.

Most BMVs, as they call them here, are friendly. You can call and ask about registering a true JDM title, or a rhd vehicle in general.
Thanks for helping me out. I'm moving out to Jasper, IN and it's a pretty small town.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMTONY
Thanks for helping me out. I'm moving out to Jasper, IN and it's a pretty small town.
Jasper is an hour away from me. The boondocks. Enjoy no smog! I know you are clear there.

You'll have to check out dog face bridge, haunted old bridge. Only place I been to out there, lol
Old 07-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
Jasper is an hour away from me. The boondocks. Enjoy no smog! I know you are clear there.

You'll have to check out dog face bridge, haunted old bridge. Only place I been to out there, lol
Cool. Thanks for your help. But I wonder if I just take the Japanese title to the bmv and they issue me a title.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMTONY
Cool. Thanks for your help. But I wonder if I just take the Japanese title to the bmv and they issue me a title.
That, I couldn't say.

Call em!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:29 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Indiana uses the rules from the state where the car was purchased from. Although I have zero experience with a Japanese title, I do hit the yearly title transfer limit of 12 (or at least used to be) every so often. They are becoming more strict seing as everything is sent down state (Indianapolis) now. If you over darken parts of the title, you need an affidavit for that with previous title holder.

Aside from calling them which is your best bet, you might be better off not having that car when you come up this way. BUT yeah, no emissions / inspections rules! Used to be 4 counties but the ones down by Louisville cleaned up their act. Now all that's left is Lake and Porter county.