Notices
Mid-Atlantic Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington DC, West Virginia

2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008

2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet
hosted by College Park Tuning

• Dyno pulls
• BBQ
• Live DJ
• Feature cars
• Formula SAE car demo
• 50/50 Raffle
• Raffle Prize

We will be asking for 1(or more) non-perishable food item per person as they enter the lot. If you forget to bring an item or prefer not to, we will collect a $1 donation on your way into the lot. All the donations collected from admission, food sales and the 50/50 raffle are going to be donated to Martha’s Table (http://www.marthastable.org).

University of Maryland – College Park Campus
Directions to Campus

Date
Sunday, MAY 4th, 2008

Time
Noon, 12:00 pm

Food
• BBQ, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs on the grill
• Soft drinks and other refreshments

Dyno
• $75.00 for 2 - 3 baseline pulls w/ A/F and printout
• If you are interested in dynoing your car, please send an email to collegeparktuning@gmail.com . We are trying to have people pre-register for the dyno.

The Last two years meets were great successes. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported us! We look forward to seeing you all again!

Modified by moss at 5:34 PM 4/1/2008
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (moss)

This was an awesome meet, one of the best, but im a bit nervous about bringin my own car out there... can i suggest that someone makes sure that every car leaving the parking lot has keys in the ignition? local police present (not just campus police).
Old 03-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (g2_teg_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g2_teg_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This was an awesome meet, one of the best, but im a bit nervous about bringin my own car out there... can i suggest that someone makes sure that every car leaving the parking lot has keys in the ignition? local police present (not just campus police).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah.... I'll go but I'm with ^^ Kyle on this. Definitely not into gettin my stuff jacked.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:31 AM
too LEGIT to quit

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (jdmztrane)

hell yeah, definitely going
Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 AM
YEEEEEE

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (hypeR_ash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypeR_ash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hell yeah, definitely going </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im sooo there, last year was a blasttt. Hopefully my car is good to go by then
Old 03-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g2_teg_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This was an awesome meet, one of the best, but im a bit nervous about bringin my own car out there... can i suggest that someone makes sure that every car leaving the parking lot has keys in the ignition? local police present (not just campus police).</TD></TR></TABLE>
Things are already being taken care of regarding those issues, as it was a huge topic after last years event.

Also, Campus Police... UMCP had jurisdiction over the campus, not PGPD. So, UMCP will be the officers there, they are no different.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Things are already being taken care of regarding those issues, as it was a huge topic after last years event.

Also, Campus Police... UMCP had jurisdiction over the campus, not PGPD. So, UMCP will be the officers there, they are no different.</TD></TR></TABLE>
can you explain how things are being taken care of?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, I'm so in.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (black_EM1)

i'll be there...maybe this will be the first time the whip comes out this year,if its done of course
Old 03-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (Dumped DB2)

Yea Last year was a good showing but it was kinda scary that cars were getting stolen right off the lot. I'm with G2 Teg, what security measures are going to be in place? I know this is a huge concern for myself and many others that are planning to attend.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g2_teg_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
can you explain how things are being taken care of?</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

this meet is good stuff went last year had a good time, but i wont support an event where theft is an issue.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (Mattb16teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mattb16teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea Last year was a good showing but it was kinda scary that cars were getting stolen right off the lot. I'm with G2 Teg, what security measures are going to be in place? I know this is a huge concern for myself and many others that are planning to attend. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i'm definately gonna go. i'm just terrified to bring my CRX. i mean, take some of those $1 everyone paid to get in, and pay someone to make sure every car has keys in the ignition. actually, i'll do it for free food, no lie.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im in for this again hopefully i will get to drive my own car home this year.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 PM

Maybe this would be a good week to visit my parents in Delaware and go to this. Hmmmmzzz.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g2_teg_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i'm definately gonna go. i'm just terrified to bring my CRX. i mean, take some of those $1 everyone paid to get in, and pay someone to make sure every car has keys in the ignition. actually, i'll do it for free food, no lie.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha Ha. Yeah I'd do it to and if we find them doing something sketchy, they can get beat with my 3 ft. long 1/2 drive breaker bar thats in my car.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (NARLEE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NARLEE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im in for this again hopefully i will get to drive my own car home this year.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you're the guy that my buddy and i saw when we were arriving. then when we left, you were in the passenger seat of a VW cuz someone else thought they deserved your car more than you

yea...i'm definately going. i just wanna know if its safe enough to bring my CRX.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:33 PM

Is it really that bad at this meet? I'm from FLA and the last thing I need is for my car to get stolen in MD. It's not like my car won't stand out or anything tho with someone stealing it.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're the guy that my buddy and i saw when we were arriving. then when we left, you were in the passenger seat of a VW cuz someone else thought they deserved your car more than you

yea...i'm definately going. i just wanna know if its safe enough to bring my CRX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that was me.
even though that happened last year im still looking forword to going again this year.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (Mattb16teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mattb16teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea Last year was a good showing but it was kinda scary that cars were getting stolen right off the lot. I'm with G2 Teg, what security measures are going to be in place? I know this is a huge concern for myself and many others that are planning to attend. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Car(s)? How many were taken out of the 1200, two? Yes I do understand any car stolen is a huge issue. I suggest if you have removeable steering wheels, take them with you and arm your alarms if you walk away from the car.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMAppeal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

+1

this meet is good stuff went last year had a good time, but i wont support an event where theft is an issue. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Last year was the FIRST time theft was ever an issue. These events have been going on since 2003. Beginning with Terp Motorsports and then being taken over by College Park Tuning in 2006. You wont support a charity event?
i'm definately gonna go. i'm just terrified to bring my CRX. i mean, take some of those $1 everyone paid to get in, and pay someone to make sure every car has keys in the ignition. actually, i'll do it for free food, no lie.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't know if you realize this - but this is a School sponsored event. The club is only given $X to work with to put on a show like this. Many times $ comes out of students pockets just to get things properly organized BECAUSE the school will not give the club enough money.

Most (pretty much none) of the money we collect does not go to the club, it goes to covering costs that the school does not cover and to Martha's Table, the charity that the club continues to support.

Unfortunately everyone gets wind of these events, including thieves.

As far as I am told there are works to have a greater police presence. The limiting factor is the money that the university provides, as the club must use school/SGA money to fund many things including police presence. In addition, everyone in the club who will be walking around the event will be keeping an eye out for suspicious activities, but I would ask anyone attending to pay attention as well.

I can not answer much more at this point, I'm no longer in charge of the club since I graduated at the end of last May. I can only pass along the information I get from the current officers of the club.

Keith
Old 04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moss, we all know and understand this is for charity, however two cars or however many more that were stolen is 2 too many. For people to come out and support a good cause and event and then have their cars taken is horrible. Thats not to say we should all be properly securing our belonging so who knows.

This was just a concern brought up buy many of us and we wanted to know what more would be done. I'm sure those people did not come out to support the charity of car thieves. No one is to blame besides thieves but like I said we just needed to raise awareness and see what would happen differently this year.
You seem to have gotten a bit defensive about the subject............., thats not the intention of my comments.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Car(s)? How many were taken out of the 1200, two? Yes I do understand any car stolen is a huge issue. I suggest if you have removeable steering wheels, take them with you and arm your alarms if you walk away from the car.

Last year was the FIRST time theft was ever an issue. These events have been going on since 2003. Beginning with Terp Motorsports and then being taken over by College Park Tuning in 2006. You wont support a charity event?

I don't know if you realize this - but this is a School sponsored event. The club is only given $X to work with to put on a show like this. Many times $ comes out of students pockets just to get things properly organized BECAUSE the school will not give the club enough money.

Most (pretty much none) of the money we collect does not go to the club, it goes to covering costs that the school does not cover and to Martha's Table, the charity that the club continues to support.

Unfortunately everyone gets wind of these events, including thieves.

As far as I am told there are works to have a greater police presence. The limiting factor is the money that the university provides, as the club must use school/SGA money to fund many things including police presence. In addition, everyone in the club who will be walking around the event will be keeping an eye out for suspicious activities, but I would ask anyone attending to pay attention as well.

I can not answer much more at this point, I'm no longer in charge of the club since I graduated at the end of last May. I can only pass along the information I get from the current officers of the club.

Keith</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think there were more then two cars stolen. Its cool that its a charity event, but i don't care what charity it is, i don't want to lose my car. thats more money then im willing/able to donate.

I don't want to make turn people away from this meet, and i will be going myself. i just brought this up because i am very nervous about bringing my car into the environment that cars were so easily ganked from last year.

i dont bring my car through that part of town anyway...its pretty well known that alot of thieves live right outside that campus *cough*Hyasttsville*cough*

Modified by g2_teg_ at 2:58 PM 4/1/2008
Old 04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*cough*Hyasttsville*cough*

</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008 (NARLEE)

let me take a wild guess and say that your car was found there???

http://www.cityrating.com/city...te=MD

Modified by g2_teg_ at 3:40 PM 4/1/2008
Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think there were more then two cars stolen. Its cool that its a charity event, but i don't care what charity it is, i don't want to lose my car. thats more money then im willing/able to donate.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
We were only made aware of two, a 99/00 Si and NARLEE's EK. Please don't exaggerate if you do not know for sure.

The comment about the charity meet was directed at JDMAppeal.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't want to make turn people away from this meet, and i will be going myself. i just brought this up because i am very nervous about bringing my car into the environment that cars were so easily ganked from last year.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I can understand you being nervous, but you can only be nervous to an extent, if you do not feel comfortable bringing your car - then don't, but don't miss the event.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i dont bring my car through that part of town anyway...its pretty well known that alot of thieves live right outside that campus *cough*Hyasttsville*cough*
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes we all know that Hyattsville isnt exactly the nicest area...

I don't know how many times I can state this, but the group is doing all that they can to take care of the situation.

Matt - I'm not being defensive... just there are exaggerations that need to be addressed. As I said, we were informed of 2 Hondas being taken. If there were more, someone step forward and address it. We have a lot of active members in the club, and word would have gotten around if there was more.

I was just informed that there will be 7 officers (UMPD) at the event, in addition to the lot of 30+ CPT members working the event

Modified by moss at 5:41 PM 4/1/2008

Modified by moss at 6:10 PM 4/1/2008
Old 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We were only made aware of two, a 99/00 Si and NARLEE's EK. Please don't exaggerate if you do not know for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i think that you are missing a couple. i know of at least one.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know how many times I can state this, but the group is doing all that they can to take care of the situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>
and for the second time, i will simply ask what that means? care to reiterate?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Matt - I'm not being defensive... just there are exaggerations that need to be addressed. As I said, we were informed of 2 Hondas being taken. If there were more, someone step forward and address it. We have a lot of active members in the club, and word would have gotten around if there was more. </TD></TR></TABLE>
There is some ignorance that needs to be addressed. im not exaggerating. in fact, i personally know someone with an EG that was stolen from that meet. He wasnt part of your club, or on honda-tech, but he frequents Honda-Acura.net and learned about the meet there.

Quick Reply: 2008 University of Maryland Spring Meet - May 4, 2008