Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

How do I keep my fog lights from cracking?

Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I keep my fog lights from cracking?

im on my 3rd set of fog lights, i keep getten em cracked, i just bought new headlights too. im trying to find a way to keep these nice and free of cracks. any ideas?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 PM
The Grumpiest

Default Re: lights

Maybe if you said HOW you are managing to crack them.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only way you crack the damn things is if you ride peoples ***! I have had mine for over 4 years up and down gravel roads and no cracks here. My buddy on the other hand is on his second set! Because he is inpatient and tail gates people and has nicks all over his JDM headlights, hood font bumper and a crack on his passenger fog to show for it. its not coming from your tires as they sit behind your bumper so its coming from the car in front of you spitting the rocks that they lay down in the winder for icy weather. im just sayin
Old 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i drive A LOT... like 40k/year a lot in just this car and actually a fairly good record now. the main freeway does construction often in norcal and i often drive to socal as well. the main reason i assume is trucks. an uncovered gravel truck 2 years ago was spraying everybody, chipped my paint, hood and cracked windshield as well as a few dozen vehicles. truck was in lane 4 far right and getting people all the way in carpool. and you dont have to tail gate anyone for a rock yo be kicked up and easily crack glass on an oncoming vehicle. a rock kicked out behind a car doing 70 hits an oncoming vehicle at 100+ mph. think of being rear ended at a dead stop vs. being hit head on with both vehicles going the same speed.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 PM
The Grumpiest

So what do you suggest to prevent flying rocks? Not much, if anything, I think.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racerx510 View Post
i drive A LOT... like 40k/year a lot in just this car and actually a fairly good record now. the main freeway does construction often in norcal and i often drive to socal as well. the main reason i assume is trucks. an uncovered gravel truck 2 years ago was spraying everybody, chipped my paint, hood and cracked windshield as well as a few dozen vehicles. truck was in lane 4 far right and getting people all the way in carpool. and you dont have to tail gate anyone for a rock yo be kicked up and easily crack glass on an oncoming vehicle. a rock kicked out behind a car doing 70 hits an oncoming vehicle at 100+ mph. think of being rear ended at a dead stop vs. being hit head on with both vehicles going the same speed.
Iím not trying to be an *** at all, Iím just stating the facts following too close will cause broken windshields, and or fogs ect. I donít follow behind dump trucks construction vehicles or anything without mud flaps for this reason I was just cursing through down had a gravel truck in front of me taking a left at the light going to the rock quarry and what would you know I was parked in the lane next to him and he sent a rock right into my damn windshield. but luckily the company covered the cost cuz I followed his *** in and asked for his insurance haha
Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh no harm at all bro. i understand what your saying though. with the gravel truck, after it already cracked my windshield i grabbed my phone and took a video from all 4 lanes and you could hear the rocks pelting me in all 4 lanes and see traffic merging best it could. i got a the, made a chp report and called my insurance to go after the trucking company

i was thinking that clear armor stuff to help the headlights stay nicer longer, the fogs are the only think actually cracking on my ek. i thought about covering them with window screen or some sort of plastic cover just for the glass

and then i just found this
http://www.lamin-x.com/Honda-Civic-9...ers-p/h113.htm
Old 12-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh no harm at all bro. i understand what your saying though. with the gravel truck, after it already cracked my windshield i grabbed my phone and took a video from all 4 lanes and you could hear the rocks pelting me in all 4 lanes and see traffic merging best it could. i got a the, made a chp report and called my insurance to go after the trucking company

i was thinking that clear armor stuff to help the headlights stay nicer longer, the fogs are the only think actually cracking on my ek. i thought about covering them with window screen or some sort of plastic cover just for the glass

and then i just found this
http://www.lamin-x.com/Honda-Civic-9...ers-p/h113.htm
**** you beat me to it! I was just gonna say that a frind of mine used that lamin-x stuff on his headlights to make them yellow for some strange reason haha but it seemed to be pretty thick and they sell it in other colors as well im sure you can find somthing that works, good luck man
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, i got new euro headlights and matching clear glass fogs to increase my visibility, im tired of h.i.d's(i miss high beams and im not buying a new set with dual ballasts for them) so im just going to run normal bulbs again too.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, i got new euro headlights and matching clear glass fogs to increase my visibility, im tired of h.i.d's(i miss high beams and im not buying a new set with dual ballasts for them) so im just going to run normal bulbs again too.
so you got EDM headlights? or euro brand headlights? haha yeah I hear ya I was tired of it to and dropped some good cash on a hi/Lo beam kit.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do I keep my fog lights from cracking?

Thread titles MUST summarize the tech problem so that members browsing titles can easily understand the problem without reading the post -- Title edited.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the inquiry is about maintaining headlights and fog lights though not just fogs as the "new title" indicates. anyways... i just had an idea strike...

has anyone tried wrapping a headlight in shrink wrap? i saw plasti-x got a bad review from a few s2000 guys because it was causing fine cracks in the lens
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the inquiry is about maintaining headlights and fog lights though not just fogs as the "new title" indicates. anyways... i just had an idea strike...

has anyone tried wrapping a headlight in shrink wrap? i saw plasti-x got a bad review from a few s2000 guys because it was causing fine cracks in the lens
Nope but you can try haha
Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 PM
H-T White Ops

I got a nice bulls eye crack in the middle of my windshield because a rock flew from three lanes over, about two or three cars in front of. Mudflaps on lifted trucks could have prevented my OE glass being damaged.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
I got a nice bulls eye crack in the middle of my windshield because a rock flew from three lanes over, about two or three cars in front of. Mudflaps on lifted trucks could have prevented my OE glass being damaged.
I hate lifted trucks! not only do they not know how to adjust their headlights when they are lifted to be courteous to the other drivers in front of them they have put rock chips and cracks in numbers windshields over the years... Do we really have to pay for them having a small ***** and having to over compensate with their lifted truck that they need a small ladder to get in and out of?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for what car? on my eg/ej fogs, the fogs are a lot smaller and the glass is a bit thicker.. never had a problem with them.. with my newer fa5 si, the fogs are bigger and the glass is thinner.. so ive broken mine.. i replaced it with lexan..
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just replaced my windshield last month... LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! as long as i own teh vehicle or the place is in business
Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by H22AFerio View Post
I hate lifted trucks! not only do they not know how to adjust their headlights when they are lifted to be courteous to the other drivers in front of them they have put rock chips and cracks in numbers windshields over the years... Do we really have to pay for them having a small ***** and having to over compensate with their lifted truck that they need a small ladder to get in and out of?
The law is that they're supposed to have mudflaps. Not everyone follows the law though.

Guess mudflaps look goofy to some owners and the likelihood they'll get in trouble for damage is slim.
i just replaced my windshield last month... LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! as long as i own teh vehicle or the place is in business
It's on my Civic. I only want OEM. If it were my CRX, aftermarket, sure, that's awesome. The Civic is something I'm sort of insane about though.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Best way is to apply some clear 3M??? (vary same stuff applied on hoods) Thats what we did to my friends 02 civic si fog lights, works wonders! and it will not only prevent potential cracking, but also prevents pitting and oxidation

I wrapped my headlights with it too, hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the film wont help it from cracking.. it'll help it from scattering everywhere but wont help it from cracking..
Old 06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mitch6 View Post
Best way is to apply some clear 3M??? (vary same stuff applied on hoods) Thats what we did to my friends 02 civic si fog lights, works wonders! and it will not only prevent potential cracking, but also prevents pitting and oxidation

I wrapped my headlights with it too, hope this helps!
mitch that was exactly what i was looking for, i couldn't find it locally do what i ended up doing was taking some clear packaging tape and throwing 1 layer over the opening for the light. i used about 2 strips and went left to right. this is since january and about 1 car wash per month hitten it with the 1700 psi power washer.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Trial User

Are you driving on the freeway when it happened? You probably want to slow down. Otherwise, the freeway needs cleaning. ha-ha
Old 06-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont drive fast, crappy freeway trucks spilling stuff. the packaging tape was a great free fix to my problem
Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One another reason that you'll crack your fog lamp glass is when you install high voltage bulbs such as 80W or 100W it generates alot of heat and since fog lamps are small the glass couldn't resist that high of a heat. It happens to me once when I installed xenon 80W H11 bulbs both of my fog lamps glass cracked. If you install a bulb of 55W you'll be fine.