Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Hi/Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (H4) Pls Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi/Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (H4) Pls Help!

Okay, let me start off by says that I've already read most of the posts here and nothing really helped me.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2304747
Im having the same problem as that guy but I can't figure out the wiring.

This hi/lo kit has the HID bulb and a little halogen next to it for the high beam. I was trying to wire it direct, without the relay.

I cant get the low beam (hid) to turn on, I'm only getting the High Beam(halogen).
My brain is about to explode, please help.
Just in case you cant see it in the pictures here is a run down of what is coming out of the bulb

Fat Red w/socket at end - goes to ballast
Fat blue w/plug at end - goes to ballast
Thin black (I had hooked up to hi-beam prong from car)
Thin black (goes to spade terminal for headlight plug and also to input for ballast)
-(I had hooked up to ground prong from car)

Extra wire:
Fat Red ( had hooked up from low beam prong to ballast

So like this -- <- low beam
Hi beam-> -- -- <-ground (looped wire)

Sorry if this is confusing but here are pics

How it came

How i wired it (different angles)

Thanks
Sean
Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hi/Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (H4) Pls Help! (djsonic)

You've got the pinning of the plugs right so I'd think you should be getting power to the lows, I'd first test with a regular H4 bulb see if it works, if not I'd say you might have blown your fuses as some point ( I had a kit I was rewiring and found it had the ground and the high beam wires swapped and I blew several fuses)... I'd also try connecting the ballast directly to the battery to test it (couple of short sections of wire to make connection), it's possible the ballast is bad (try also swapping ballasts from side to side) or maybe the bulb is bad (usually flickers but fails to ignite)...
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Hi/Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (CarbonizedDX)

Yeah, my standard H4 Bulb works when its in. What I dont get is the 2 black wires coming out of the headlight, I'm assuming 1 is actually the power for the halogen and then other, which is looped to the socket and the ballast is the ground.
I actually work for a distributor of HID's, which is the funny part. This is a set some other manufacturer sent us as a sample.
Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out at work tomorrow.
THanks for the help though
Sean
Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hi/Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (djsonic)

97 Civic is positive switched H4...search on GOOGLE for positive switched H4 if you are not sure what it is........

by design you can only have Lo or High beam at one time, so either Lo(HID) or High(halogen) should be on....not both unless you have wire harness with relay(you don't have these)

if you are close, I can help out in wiring this or I need to see better pictures of everything...i have FX retroed in my car and enjoying it...

you can see ignitor wire(braided) and solenoid plug(red wire with gray connector) here...
Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djsonic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm assuming 1 is actually the power for the halogen and then other, which is looped to the socket and the ballast is the ground.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

From your pics I see three black wires, one coming from the high beam pin to the halogen bulb, and two from the common ground that one is going to the ballast and one to the other side of the halogen bulb. So in all reality it should work, have you tried spinning the ballast power plug around and seeing if it's plugged in backwards or wired backwards? Have you also tried the to power the ballast and HID bulb with out being plugged into the car? might be a defective bulb/ballast involved...
Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 PM

I don't know if the 97 civic is positive triggered..

if it is, then the common is a ground, and the other two pins are power

if the civic is negative triggered, the common is power, the other two are grounds.

the ballast doesn't work if its wired backwards...
Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Banned

Which HID Distributor do you work for?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 PM

judging by this picture:

the low beam should work if the car is positive triggered.

if it isn't working, i think the 97 civics are negative triggered.

so, swap the common wire(one with the two blacks) with the low trigger wire (red)

you will need to remove the small black wire from the one with two black wires

then wire that to the red wire, so that your high beam will work.

OR

just flip the connector to the ballast, only problem with that is, the connector will not lock into place, but the ballast should work then...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Hi/Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (bpr0422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the low beam should work if the car is positive triggered.

if it isn't working, i think the 97 civics are negative triggered.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

On my 96 I've got the positive coming from the headlight harness to the ballast and it is grounded directly to the chassis and it works just fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
OR

just flip the connector to the ballast, only problem with that is, the connector will not lock into place, but the ballast should work then...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most HID ballasts I've dealt with have a tab on the bottom of the 9006/5 socket and can be locked in backwards (most cars that use 9006 are wired reverse to what hid ballasts are and I've simply rotated the plug around to and installed it that way).
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CarbonizedDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On my 96 I've got the positive coming from the headlight harness to the ballast and it is grounded directly to the chassis and it works just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is the positive coming from the low trigger's pin or the common pin?

honestly i don't know which cars a positive/negative triggered, but i could just check with a multimeter.

a multimeter is your best friend. XD

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CarbonizedDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most HID ballasts I've dealt with have a tab on the bottom of the 9006/5 socket and can be locked in backwards (most cars that use 9006 are wired reverse to what hid ballasts are and I've simply rotated the plug around to and installed it that way).</TD></TR></TABLE>
honestly, i've never owned one ^^
just basing it on all the reading i've done...
Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Hi/Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (bpr0422)

is the positive coming from the low trigger's pin or the common pin?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's positive direct from the low trigger pin.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did mention that 97 civic is positive switched...
Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 PM
dip

Default Re:Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (H4) Pls Help! (djsonic)

how can I install a HId kit in my 97 civic. Its plug and play and only low beamset up. I have
red wire and a black wire( there is 2 black wires together) were do i put them at?

I know were evrything else go except how to set up the harness because i continue to blow numerous fuses back to back. so can u tell me how to connect the original stock harness to the hid set up were does the red wire go and the two connected together black wire on the harness. thanks if u can tel me cuz im going nuts its a h4 low beam only kit no high beam
Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
dip

how dp i connect ,y stock harness to a lowbeam only hid kit. I have 2 wires that go in to the h4 stcok connection harness. It a red and blk but there are two wires connected to black and the other wire is black so were do i connect it and is my light a positive or negative switched
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hi/Lo HID kit problems in 97 Civic (H4) Pls Help!

i apologize to bump an old *** thread but.. i ran in to the same prob with my 01 odyssey.. has anyone figured this out yet?

is the 01 odyssey positive switched or negative switched.. how do i find out..

this is the setting that i used on my 96 hatch and they work fine

why not on the oddy.... my brain is about to go BOOOOOM!!!
thx in advanced
Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Pick up a Haynes manual with wiring diagrams. On the headlight page, you can see if the switch is located on the wire coming off the main harness, or if it's in the wire going to ground. That will tell you if it's + or - switched.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright.. this sat..im hearing is going to be 80 deg here in mass FINALLY!!

i know that changing the pins to other sockets dont work. they do to a certain point.. i mean i got the HIDS ON but the hi beam indicator is constantly on.and if i switch it to hi beam on the switch the light turn to strobes. so right now im banned the use of the hi beam switch. still it cant be good... BUT i ma try the small black wire swap ,etc.. im going to try everything... even if i blow a bulb.. i have a year warranty on everything so im going to experiment... and email everyone that makes these kits ( i have 2 manufacturers ) hopefully the listen if i can make it work.. at least for the van
Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found this also

Troubleshooting
1 "Problem:
In many cases, especially for those cars that have Auto ""ON"" or Daytime Running Lights; one or both light cannot Ignite Initially, Discharge Bulb turns off after just start the car, or even sometimes, bulb just turns off when driving."
"Solution:
You MUST Disconnect the Daytime Running Light or Auto Switch ON function immediately before the actual HID Conversion. Due to the Steady levels of battery voltage is required at 12V or Plus before the initial Ignites of each HID Systems; you must prohibit the less voltage draw of car battery at HID s start time. Daytime Running Light is 7V or less power output, and auto switch on headlight is always turn on seconds right before the car to start the ignition to charge the battery, which means Battery is focus on charging the ignition and waiting for alternator to recharge it back to 12V. Therefore, in both situations, battery is drawing much less power than 12V to initially ignite the HID headlight. Please perform the following:
o if you have Daytime Running Light please follow your car s service manual; disconnect the fuse or wiring of Daytime Running lights only.
o If you have Auto Switch On Headlights, please switch the function to Manual Switch On headlights. To avoid further damages, always remember to start your engine before turn on the HID system! "
2 "Problem:
Just Installed the HID system a few weeks ago, everything works out fine with system. But lately, the one or both Discharge Bulbs are began to flickering when starts!?"
"Solution:
Disconnect all the connectors immediately. Clean every connector with alcohol. Wait more than 5 minutes (reset ballast Safety Stages Chip) then reconnect or reinstall every connector. Then check all the connection between ballast and factory harness (Power Source); check all the connection between igniters and bulbs (yellow silicone connectors); check your upgraded fuse, they must be 20amp minimum. Remember, every connector have to be 100% well connected to each other. Do not loss mating or mis-wiring any connections. "
3 "Problem:
Melted plastic burned onto the HID bulb, staining it. "
"Solution:
Do not touch the bulb at any time, especially when it is hot. "
4 "Problem:
Bubble created by melted glass from a high wattage (100W) bulb."
"Solution:
Do not use any bulb higher than 80 watts bulbs in your vehicle. "
5 "Problem:
Both HID bulbs keep flickering and making clicking noise."
"Solution:
1. See whether the HID bulbs have been connected to the ballasts correctly and tightly. 2. See whether the batteries of the car is too old or almost empty. 3. If your car's low beam has daytime running lights, make sure to disable that before installing the HID kit."
6 "Problem:
HID turns on then both sides go out."
"Solution:
It means the fuses are blown. Please check your fuses box according to your vehicle's user manual and upgrade the stock 10mA or 15mA headlight fuse to 30mA. "
7 "Problem:
HID will shut down itself sometimes."
"Solution:
Inside of the HID ballast, there is a micro chip which is used to detect whether there is any potential problem. Any potential problems such as sudden high impulse or shortage of power input from battery or extremely high heat will trigger the self-protect and shut the ballast off temporarily. It takes about 3 mins for the micro chip to reset itself and the ballast will be working again. Once this happens, please turn off the HID and wait about 3 to 5 mins.
Inspection Procedure: Please check the car battery. Check all connections between the bulb, ballast, & igniter. Check the vehicle battery terminal. "
8 "Problem:
Only one light works, although both lights are installed exactly the same."
"Solution:
1. The polarity of one side might not match with the stock harness. 2. Fuse might be blown on this side. 3. Malfunctioned parts.
Inspection Procedure: Check all connections between the bulb, ballast, & igniter. Check the bulb that does not work. Check the fuses. Use at least 30mA fuse if the stock 15mA fuse blows. Switch the failing bulb module to the working one to see if the problem remains. If the failing light now works, the bulb may be failed. If the problem still persists, the Ballast and/or Igniter may be malfunctioned. Check the Ballast and Igniter, switch it to the working side of the vehicle. If the problem still persists, the Ballast and/or Igniter is malfunctioned. If HID system works properly, your vehicle connections, battery, alternator, etc. may have problems. "
9 "Problem:
The ballasts make electric noise when first turn on."
"Solution:
This is very normal, the ballasts are absorbing powers from the battery to start up, that's why you hear electric noise."
10 "Problem:
HID will only work when the high beam is turn on."
"Solution:
This situation mostly happens H4 kit because it has three pong plug rather than just ""+"" and ""-"". Make sure you have plugged those three wires correctly to their positions. Usually the combination is Yellow, Black and Red."
11 "Problem:
HID works when the engine is off, but if turning on the engine the HID will turn off itself."
"Solution:
For some newer model cars such as 04 or UP BMW or 04 or UP Mercedes, the cars have onboard computers to restrict outsource components such as HID conversion kit or aftermarket MP3 Players. Therefore, the only way for such cars to install the HID kit is to directly plug the HID ballasts to the car's battery."
12 "Problem:
The HID bulbs changes color when first turn on."
"Solution:
This is totally normal. At the beginning, the ballasts are storing the power from the battery of the car. Since the power has not been stabilized yet, the bulbs will might have different colors or even flicker a little bit. However, as soon as the power is stabilized by the ballast, the bulbs will become normal. "
13 "Problem:
The colors or lighting effects of the two bulbs are different."
"Solution
1. The level of the two sizes' headlight housings are not even, to adjust the headlight housings, please check here. 2. For new bulbs, there are chances that the colors are different for first couple hours of burning. The color will turn into normal once after that.
Inspection Procedure: Inspect for damage in the light housing. Clean the lens of the light. Inspect the positioning of lights to ensure both are at the same angle to the road."
Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guyz i got it fixed... b4 i went to cutting **** and so forth i did more research .. i bumped to this thread

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...46&postcount=9

and the solution is so simple.. i did what he said and it works fine... .. no harness relay needed

thx to awdgsx96

Last edited by Pichy; 04-24-2009 at 01:37 PM.