Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Footwell lighting with domelight

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Footwell lighting with domelight

Sup people.

First off let me just add that I'm not trying to rice out my car .

I understand alot of guys do LED strips in the footwell on a switch in their cars for that cool show look. I'm not going for that.

I'm curious if I can hook up two to my door switch/domelight wires. And if I do need a relay;how do I wire it up? 1998 civic ex coupe.

If it's not safe I can always opt for the switch type but I just kinda wanted a clean install,without looking riced out with a toggle switch imitating NOS or some other crap. SMH!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Footwell lighting with domelight

Nobody???
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chillerice
Sup people.

First off let me just add that I'm not trying to rice out my car .

I understand alot of guys do LED strips in the footwell on a switch in their cars for that cool show look. I'm not going for that.

I'm curious if I can hook up two to my door switch/domelight wires. And if I do need a relay;how do I wire it up? 1998 civic ex coupe.

If it's not safe I can always opt for the switch type but I just kinda wanted a clean install,without looking riced out with a toggle switch imitating NOS or some other crap. SMH!!!
You'll need to better explain what it is your asking, and wanting to do.

Also, if you need instruction on how to use a standard automotive relay (which are available all over the net), then this sort of project is probably not for you.

As to whether or not you need one, that depends entirely on the capacity of the circuit you're trying to add on to, and the additional draw of whatever else you're adding. In other words, no one can answer for you without a lot more information.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
You'll need to better explain what it is your asking, and wanting to do.

As to whether or not you need one, that depends entirely on the capacity of the circuit you're trying to add on to, and the additional draw of whatever else you're adding.

All I'm generally asking is can I add two LED strips to my domelight/door circuit without blowing the fuse?

And if I could end up blowing the fuse; do I need to use a relay and wire the LED strip like a alarm domelight supervision?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I'm generally asking is can I add two LED strips to my domelight/door circuit without blowing the fuse?
And again, that isn't answerable. It depends on the existing load on the circuit that will be kept, the additional load of the new strips, and the existing fuse. You could be adding a 5A draw to a 15A capable line with only 5A currently in use, which would be fine. You could also be adding a 12A draw to a 10A line, which will blow the fuse.

Seriously, don't ask on here, go get the numbers for the new LEDs you wish to use, measure the existing power draw of the circuit, then compare the combined total to the fuse.

And don't replace the fuse with a larger one, as you'll risk burning wires before the larger fuse pops, rendering it useless. Do it properly with a relay and additional inline fuse.

And if I could end up blowing the fuse; do I need to use a relay and wire the LED strip like a alarm domelight supervision?
Yes, if you exceed the fuse's capability, you'll need a relay, an additional inline fuse sized appropriately, and a direct line to the battery.