Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

08 civic aftermarket projectors and HID conversion kit question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 civic aftermarket projectors and HID conversion kit question

Hello I wanted to install some aftermarket projectors and HID conversion kit to my 2008 honda civic but came across a problem. I searched forever and have yet to find an answer so I decided to post here to hopefully get some insight.

Almost all the projectors I see are fitted for H1 bulbs and yet my car has 9006 bulbs and the HID conversion kits for my car are also for 9006 bulbs.

How would I go about doing this?
Old 03-28-2016, 06:02 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: 08 civic aftermarket projectors and HID conversion kit question

Theretrofitsource.com has pretty much everything you need. You can put in your car info and they'll custom build a kit for your needs.

Conversion harnesses are the only thing stopping you...of which you can get from that website. Everything else is pretty much plug and play nowadays.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Theretrofitsource.com has pretty much everything you need. You can put in your car info and they'll custom build a kit for your needs.

Conversion harnesses are the only thing stopping you...of which you can get from that website. Everything else is pretty much plug and play nowadays.
Thanks for the reply, that website has a lot of stuff!

Is this what I would be looking for?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.VvpunOIrJNA

It looks like it's a conversion kit for 9006 to H1.

Sorry I have never installed HID's before and I am coming up with a lot of questions.

What about these power relay harnesses? It says it bypasses the cars wiring and directly connects the ballast to the cars battery. Would this help me with my concern of the wire harnesses not being compatible from the h1 ballast and the 9006 from my car?

I assume you still need to connect something to the car's stock wiring so the headlights will turn on when you flick the switch.

Last edited by morton3000; 03-29-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Basically their HID harness will attach to the battery. There is a plug that will install in your original light bulb plug that will use the signal as a switch for the relay attached to the HID harness.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so according to the sale rep I talked to the HID kit I order will come with a conversion harness for my 9006 bulbs.

I have another problem though, the headlight housing I am buying uses H1 bulbs for all 3 lights (high beam, low beam and day time running).

I can not find conversion wire harnesses using google for the other 2 bulbs. I planned on leaving the high beams and day time running lights halogen.

2 Pcs 9005 Head Light Adapter Socket Connector Female to Male - Walmart.com

H1 Male Female Wiring Harness Fog Light Socket Wire Connector Plug Cable x 2 - Walmart.com

Could I buy, say these 2 harnesses and cut the wires and solder the 2 ends I need together to make my own conversion harness?

Would this work or could this cause electrical problems?

Maybe there are conversion harnesses out there that I can not find on my own, any ideas where I might get something like this?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:46 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

No, you don't need any of that...

The kit you are ordering is for your low beams only (most likely, as I do not know what you ordered)

Unless you ordered stuff for your high beams and also your DRL, nothing about those will change.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I ordered an HID kit for my low beams.

I also order a new headlight housing because my stock housing is halogen reflectors and I wanted projectors for the HID's.

The housing I ordered uses H1 bulbs for all 3 lights.

So my concern is how will I connect the H1 high beams and H1 DRL to my cars wires which is 9005 for the high beams and H11 for the DRL?

Sorry if my last post did not make sense, I hope that cleared it up.

Edit - In case you did not know what I meant by headlight housing here is what I bought.
Honda Civic 02-AZ-HC06-PCC-RF-A by CG [2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011]

That website doesn't give a lot of information which does suck, I talked to a sales rep who told me that all 3 bulbs are H1.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:21 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Dude...you just went from low beam configuration to high beam/DRL configuration.

WTF are you trying to do here?
Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Dude...you just went from low beam configuration to high beam/DRL configuration.

WTF are you trying to do here?
He purchased eBay headlights and doesn't know which bulbs go in each light socket.

OP, ID stick with the stock headlights and order a projector retrofit kit for your lowbeams from TRS.

It'll work like factory, look better, and you don't have to change your DRL/high beams.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are just needing a 9006 to ballast connector , i have those . Then the ballast to AMP will connect to the H1 without requiring a harness . But with the harness you will get a better supply of electricity all the time .
Old 04-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for all the confusion guys, this was my first HID install and all the different bulb sockets sizes were confusing me, but I got the kit and the headlight housing and everything I needed came with the kit.

I wish I would have asked these questions before ordering this headlight housing though, I think a retrofit would have been better as the lens in this housing is garbage.

So I have this headlight housing now and I don't know if it's too late to return it, I also like this housing except for the projectors that are in it. I did had an idea though, have any of you ever heard or done a retrofit on a headlight that already has a projector in it?

I was thinking about ordering some nice projectors that are the same diameter of the ones in this housing and cutting the olds ones out and installing new ones.

It looks like it will be a difficult task but I might give it a try because I would really like a better beam and better cut off.

The projectors in these housings are moulded in so I don't think I can just replace the lens.

Let me know what you guys think, I've gotten some great advice from these forums so I thought I would ask for some more advice. :D
Old 04-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

your headlights are the issue. what do you have?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought these.

Honda Civic 02-AZ-HC06-PCC-RF-A by CG [2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011]

I like the way they look but the cut off for the projectors isn't perfect.

I learned the hard way not to buy cheap projectors. :/