Questions about the K series - Honda-Tech

Questions about the K series

Old 02-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default Questions about the K series

So a while back me and my friend built an N/A k20a3 and i posted the fourm and quite a few people liked the build and wanted to copy it. The build was more for a street build but still so it can be daily driven. The car was my freinds so i was never around long enough after the break in period we got a good tune on it and then my friend left to college but the engine has been running fine.

So ive been looking around a bit for more information on K series because im planning on K swaping my ej1 for a street build. As i was looking for pros and cons and good routes to go, i came across this video that made me wonder about how i wanted to go about building my street car. This does contain some good information but i questioned some of it and would like to get feedback from people with experience.

https://youtu.be/TsKfCCVIv-Q

My real questions are about a few things he talked about in this video and i just wanted to get some information from people that have built their own set up and came across some of the issues and conserns mentioned in the video.

I want to know if oem parts are really as good as he says. To start with cams. I know for alot of builds cams arent somethings you would go to first. He says stock cams will help your timing chain tensioner last longer along with other valvetrain parts; rocker roller arms, valve springs and retainers. Do the tensioners really get worn out quicker when swaping the cams? For fuel systems if anyone has a preferred fuel system if they could share that info, that would be great. In the video he talks about changing the fuel system for certain modles and id like to know what fuel system is recommended. When he was talking about the TPS he says they go out quick due to vibrates. I had that problem with my build but is the vibration really the cause for that cause and effect it does to performance of the engine? Lastly is transmission failure. I know there was transmission failure with our build but it started with 4th gear. In the video he talks about 2nd gear being the most common to go out. I havnt worked on transmissions so i dont feel comfortable taking them apart and working on them so id like to know what street setup would be recommended for both 5 and 6 speed transmissions. Ive head of gearspeed and synchrotech, both good feedback but still if anyone has any cons id like to hear them.

And if anyone has something they would like to cover put it down in the comments. Thanks and have a great day!
Eddygee53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the K series

He says stock cams will help your timing chain tensioner last longer along with other valvetrain parts; rocker roller arms, valve springs and retainers. Do the tensioners really get worn out quicker when swaping the cams? Yes oem cams are less harsh on the valvetrain and timing chain tensioners. Some aftermarket cam designs are extremely harsh on the tensioners.

When he was talking about the TPS he says they go out quick due to vibrates. I had that problem with my build but is the vibration really the cause for that cause and effect it does to performance of the engine? Yes it's due to vibration because the TPS has a small contact patch for the signal and that gets worn down prematurely due to the increased vibrations. Using a hall effect TPS has been one of the best solutions. Ktuned and Acuity both have a Hall Effect TPS option.

Lastly is transmission failure. I know there was transmission failure with our build but it started with 4th gear. In the video he talks about 2nd gear being the most common to go out. I havnt worked on transmissions so i dont feel comfortable taking them apart and working on them so id like to know what street setup would be recommended for both 5 and 6 speed transmissions. Ive head of gearspeed and synchrotech, both good feedback but still if anyone has any cons id like to hear them. The vast majority of trans issues are due to the way the car is driven. Both 5 and 6 speed transmission work well overall. Most choose a 5 speed for boost applications and a 6 speed for all motor setups. Gear-X, MFactory, and PPG all make some really beefed up setups for rebuilding a transmission to take whatever you throw at it. It'll cost a pretty penny too
CHiLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the K series

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiLD View Post
He says stock cams will help your timing chain tensioner last longer along with other valvetrain parts; rocker roller arms, valve springs and retainers. Do the tensioners really get worn out quicker when swaping the cams? Yes oem cams are less harsh on the valvetrain and timing chain tensioners. Some aftermarket cam designs are extremely harsh on the tensioners.

When he was talking about the TPS he says they go out quick due to vibrates. I had that problem with my build but is the vibration really the cause for that cause and effect it does to performance of the engine? Yes it's due to vibration because the TPS has a small contact patch for the signal and that gets worn down prematurely due to the increased vibrations. Using a hall effect TPS has been one of the best solutions. Ktuned and Acuity both have a Hall Effect TPS option.

Lastly is transmission failure. I know there was transmission failure with our build but it started with 4th gear. In the video he talks about 2nd gear being the most common to go out. I havnt worked on transmissions so i dont feel comfortable taking them apart and working on them so id like to know what street setup would be recommended for both 5 and 6 speed transmissions. Ive head of gearspeed and synchrotech, both good feedback but still if anyone has any cons id like to hear them. The vast majority of trans issues are due to the way the car is driven. Both 5 and 6 speed transmission work well overall. Most choose a 5 speed for boost applications and a 6 speed for all motor setups. Gear-X, MFactory, and PPG all make some really beefed up setups for rebuilding a transmission to take whatever you throw at it. It'll cost a pretty penny too
Thanks! Ill look into those tranny builds and see what is going to best fit my needs
Eddygee53 is offline   Reply With Quote