Notices

Ktuned swap packages

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ktuned swap packages

Ok so I'm in the planning stage for a kswap in my sedan to be a DD. The goal is to redo the suspension, some interior stuff and paint it along with the kswap. This is not going to be a budget minded job but I would like to save where I can. So which for me brings the question to the ones who have done the swaps are the ktuned swap packages worth it? If they are what is not included in them that is needed? Any help would be appreciated. Just need a little direction since I come from a Chevy background with SBC and LS motors. Thanks
Old 02-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ktuned swap packages

Anybody?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

There are different package levels... the more expensive they get, the more items are included. If you make a list to what items you need at a bare minimum to do the "K" swap, you can compare it to the swap packages lists and if necessary, purchase any missing items separately.

It is likely that you didn't get any responses here because your question is WAY generalized and thus, has no specific answer.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Basically my question is can you get their kit and be done with the swap or is there still a need to source parts that are not included and for the money does buying the kit outweigh the hassle of trying to individually buy piece by piece?
Old 05-26-2019, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K Tuned's level 4 package is pretty complete. Im assuming your having a shop/someone else do your swap, if so, contact them and see what addition parts youll need. To save some cash i would look for individual used parts online. Hybrid Racing has great info on their site regarding what parts you'll need. Good luck with your build. I currently changed over to a DC Kswap. So I'm in a similar boat.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:08 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

its complete from what it looks like
Old 05-29-2019, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This guy did a legit cost sheet for his recent k-swap. Take a look when you get a chance. I've been considering going K for years now, but costs are still considerable. My old roommate K'd his eg hatch about 5 years ago. Even sourcing his motor/trans from a parts yard, AND fabricating plenty of parts himself... it still cost about 6k+. The great thing about doing a K these day's, is the aftermarket is now readily available. Just $$$.

I will say from experience... I love my B-Series builds, but K platform is the way to go if you're swapping at this point.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

There are guys that do a "K" swap on the cheap... using some inferior parts and finding some quality parts at "crack-head" prices... and those folks typically spend $6K or less and do the labor themselves. Then there is the other end of the spectrum: Guys like me that have run off into the rabbit hole so deep with Top-Shelf parts and a full NA build that the cost exceeds ridiculous. I have had "B"s for years... and I am a fan. But the "K" is simply far more advanced... technically superior. Once you have one, you won't think about building a "B" ever again.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by hondalocal
This guy did a legit cost sheet for his recent k-swap. Take a look when you get a chance. I've been considering going K for years now, but costs are still considerable. My old roommate K'd his eg hatch about 5 years ago. Even sourcing his motor/trans from a parts yard, AND fabricating plenty of parts himself... it still cost about 6k+. The great thing about doing a K these day's, is the aftermarket is now readily available. Just $$$.

I will say from experience... I love my B-Series builds, but K platform is the way to go if you're swapping at this point.

K Swap Cost Video
Jeez, lol. I think that number he gave is pretty accurate. It's not the motor and transmission that does it, it's the other stuff. I'd love to do a k swap but boosting a b series is what I will more than likely do.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be doing the swap myself. I'm just kind of new to the Honda scene. The d16 in it just isn't getting the job done. I'm not going for all out race car or FI. Just want a reliable setup that is fun to drive daily. Price doesn't really matter much it just may mean it will take a little longer to complete which is ok its not a rush. I don't cut corners or do anything if it is not done right. I was just looking for opinions or advice from people who may have bought those swap packages cause from the outside looking in it seems like a easier route to get everything all at once for a couple hundred more than trying to scavenge everything
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely go for it. I don't think there's a huge price difference going from d series to k or b and I think the k is a better engine as well. Good luck on your swap.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely going for it, just needed a little guidance. Right now I'm trying to source other parts to do body work. This is going to be a complete overhaul. If anyone knows where to get clips for moldings and the actual moldings that go around the windshield that would be amazing. I have had zero luck finding them online and all the pull yards they are gone or in horrible shape.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a good resource, albeit not as much for k swaps. I know there's a lot I don't know and I've learned a lot from this forum.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
There are guys that do a "K" swap on the cheap... using some inferior parts and finding some quality parts at "crack-head" prices... and those folks typically spend $6K or less and do the labor themselves. Then there is the other end of the spectrum: Guys like me that have run off into the rabbit hole so deep with Top-Shelf parts and a full NA build that the cost exceeds ridiculous. I have had "B"s for years... and I am a fan. But the "K" is simply far more advanced... technically superior. Once you have one, you won't think about building a "B" ever again.
I cant echo this statement enough. You have to pay to K. Its not cheap, if you spend all of your time trying to do the typical lowball Honda build, it will be just that. A low budget build. Nothing wrong with that approach but you will spend far more time sourcing the stuff on the cheap than is worth your time. Get the engine and trans from a reputable place. Hmotors usually does a good job, you get what you pay for. Parts.com has an app that you can get used parts from yards (from all over). The K swap packages are good to get it in and running relatively quickly. Plan on 50% more time to do the K-swap than you had originally budgeted. We used to swap a b out in 5 hours, with time to bbq and drink beer back in the 90s. The K series takes a good bit more time. You will learn a ton of new stuff if you haven't done it before. I found the most tedious part is subtle differences not covered in the "part instructions pdf" or documentation. Get a GOOD mutli-meter, pick up a basic electronics book just to familiarize yourself with testing and trouble shooting. Even with swap packages, full conversion harnesses, premade engine harnesses etc.. its not usually plug and play. There are many items that you will have questions on and have to wade through to get things running right. Don't let this scare you off, its worth the work, 100x over. I have had many B's in my eg over the years and they don't hold a lick of flame to the K24 imo. It is far superior.

Tip to be successful: make a spreadsheet of the must haves to get it in and running, price it out, take a hard look at your wallet, be reasonable on the part quality. Buy good parts where they matter most. Generally, stick to one vendor and get all of your parts through them, build a relationship with them and they will typically provide you with better deals, help when you get stuck, and hook you up with parts that may fail or w/e. Take your time.

Oh and make sure that you don't shake the O2 sensor too much, they don't like vibrations.
K20a.org has some good ref material for chassis/engine/trans specific info.
Good luck!
Old 07-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dublocivic
I cant echo this statement enough. You have to pay to K. Its not cheap, if you spend all of your time trying to do the typical lowball Honda build, it will be just that. A low budget build. Nothing wrong with that approach but you will spend far more time sourcing the stuff on the cheap than is worth your time. Get the engine and trans from a reputable place. Hmotors usually does a good job, you get what you pay for. Parts.com has an app that you can get used parts from yards (from all over). The K swap packages are good to get it in and running relatively quickly. Plan on 50% more time to do the K-swap than you had originally budgeted. We used to swap a b out in 5 hours, with time to bbq and drink beer back in the 90s. The K series takes a good bit more time. You will learn a ton of new stuff if you haven't done it before. I found the most tedious part is subtle differences not covered in the "part instructions pdf" or documentation. Get a GOOD mutli-meter, pick up a basic electronics book just to familiarize yourself with testing and trouble shooting. Even with swap packages, full conversion harnesses, premade engine harnesses etc.. its not usually plug and play. There are many items that you will have questions on and have to wade through to get things running right. Don't let this scare you off, its worth the work, 100x over. I have had many B's in my eg over the years and they don't hold a lick of flame to the K24 imo. It is far superior.

Tip to be successful: make a spreadsheet of the must haves to get it in and running, price it out, take a hard look at your wallet, be reasonable on the part quality. Buy good parts where they matter most. Generally, stick to one vendor and get all of your parts through them, build a relationship with them and they will typically provide you with better deals, help when you get stuck, and hook you up with parts that may fail or w/e. Take your time.

Oh and make sure that you don't shake the O2 sensor too much, they don't like vibrations.
K20a.org has some good ref material for chassis/engine/trans specific info.
Good luck!
Yes, go to K20a.org, as there's tons of info there. My son and I are in the process of gathering up what's needed to swap his 98 "D" motor and 5 speed to a K20a1 out of an 02 RSX type S, with 6 speed. He bought the RSX to use as a "1,000 dollar parts donor", since it has a running engine, no grinding or expensive noises from the trans (drove it home 60 miles), plus it has the 6 speed shifter and good cables, plus we're going to take the engine harness and the ECU out of it to make the swap that much easier. We're also grabbing the axles too, as they're needed for the swap, just need to get some CRV outers to put on the ends. In our case, we have to swap the front sub (K member) to be able to K-swap, so we're spending a little more than planned. We also planned on going with a Toyota electric steering pump, to avoid having to cut the hood (clearance gets very tight, depending on which set of mounts you use).
Needless to say we're still doing our homework, and gathering parts, as the brakes on the RSX will either be sold off or used for a big brake conversion, since they're complete and work (maybe some day we'll do a 5 lug conversion on it ).
Old 07-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

The key to a swap is generally being able to get ahold of a cheap donor car that has everything you need, buy mounts and axles, then get the tiny details (like fuel pump and regulator, wiring, etc.) worked out.